VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...

sniper968

VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...

Hi. I've got a serious problem. I decided to do a fresh installation of
Vista Ultimate on my $4000 Asus VX2S Lamborghini notebook (which I got
after getting a nice pay bonus back in 2007.

Details of the Lambo are here:
'Techgage - ASUS Lamborghini VX2'
(http://techgage.com/article/asus_lamborghini_vx2/)

It was very sluggish and took about 5minutes to loadup. It was slow in
multitasking and hanged on Windows Media Centre operations. Played games
ok tho - but needed a cooler.

Things improved a bit after I deleted some of the Asus bloatware
mentioned in the unofficial asus notebook forum FAQ. Stuff like
Splendid, TPM, Asus Protect, Asus live update, power4phone etc...

But it still seemed a tad slow for a US$4000 machine, esp the startup
and multitasking.

I mentioned this to my friend a computer guru who advised me to do a
format and fresh clean installation. He had a spare moment in the
weekend so he formated C drive - including the recovery partition as I
did not want the pre-installed Asus software.

However after the 1st reinstall reboot - the installation hangs near
the completion mark. I'm puzzled - not sure whats going on. Obviously
can't get to desktop or do a safe mode.

Can anyone help? Did a search and it seems to be a rare problem.

BTW, I was using a Vista Ultimate Corporate installation disk. My
computer came preinstalled with the VISTA Ultimate OEM copy with only a
recovery disk. This caused significant problems which was only resolved
after a lot of pain, esp. with the original crappy ASUS graphic card
drivers which caused shutdown and sleep BSOD failures.

The computer is spec. No modifications made. Asus changed the
motherboard in 2008 after the headphone jack failed. But no problem
afterwards.

The notebook was actually running pretty good and reliable before this.
The old sleep failure problems was resolved with the long awaited new
Nvidia drivers. Installed all the updates, no problem. I just thot the
reformat and reinstallation would clear out all the asus crap and make
it better. Old school thinking I guess.

The Asus lambo uses a SATA HD which may be the cause of the problem.

We've tried loading up SATA drivers but no help.

My friend was using his company Vista Ultimate Corporate installation
disk to install as all I have is the VISTA CD Key.

Please help.

--
sniper968
Rick Rogers

Re: VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...
Hi,

The system likely requires one or more proprietary drivers that were
included in Asus' recovery method but are not found in a standard Vista
image. You need to contact Asus for a proper set of disks since you removed
the recovery data. There is no way of knowing how many driver files may be
needed or which ones they are.

Also, Vista Ultimate is not a corporate version, it is a consumer version.
The corporate version is called Enterprise. An Enterprise disk may have been
altered by the company to match their hardware and may not be suitable for
use on other machines.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sniper968" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi. I've got a serious problem. I decided to do a fresh installation of
> Vista Ultimate on my $4000 Asus VX2S Lamborghini notebook (which I got
> after getting a nice pay bonus back in 2007.
>
> Details of the Lambo are here:
> 'Techgage - ASUS Lamborghini VX2'
> (http://techgage.com/article/asus_lamborghini_vx2/)
>
> It was very sluggish and took about 5minutes to loadup. It was slow in
> multitasking and hanged on Windows Media Centre operations. Played games
> ok tho - but needed a cooler.
>
> Things improved a bit after I deleted some of the Asus bloatware
> mentioned in the unofficial asus notebook forum FAQ. Stuff like
> Splendid, TPM, Asus Protect, Asus live update, power4phone etc...
>
> But it still seemed a tad slow for a US$4000 machine, esp the startup
> and multitasking.
>
> I mentioned this to my friend a computer guru who advised me to do a
> format and fresh clean installation. He had a spare moment in the
> weekend so he formated C drive - including the recovery partition as I
> did not want the pre-installed Asus software.
>
> However after the 1st reinstall reboot - the installation hangs near
> the completion mark. I'm puzzled - not sure whats going on. Obviously
> can't get to desktop or do a safe mode.
>
> Can anyone help? Did a search and it seems to be a rare problem.
>
> BTW, I was using a Vista Ultimate Corporate installation disk. My
> computer came preinstalled with the VISTA Ultimate OEM copy with only a
> recovery disk. This caused significant problems which was only resolved
> after a lot of pain, esp. with the original crappy ASUS graphic card
> drivers which caused shutdown and sleep BSOD failures.
>
> The computer is spec. No modifications made. Asus changed the
> motherboard in 2008 after the headphone jack failed. But no problem
> afterwards.
>
> The notebook was actually running pretty good and reliable before this.
> The old sleep failure problems was resolved with the long awaited new
> Nvidia drivers. Installed all the updates, no problem. I just thot the
> reformat and reinstallation would clear out all the asus crap and make
> it better. Old school thinking I guess.
>
> The Asus lambo uses a SATA HD which may be the cause of the problem.
>
> We've tried loading up SATA drivers but no help.
>
> My friend was using his company Vista Ultimate Corporate installation
> disk to install as all I have is the VISTA CD Key.
>
> Please help.
>

> --
> sniper968

BillW

Re: VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...

"sniper968" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi. I've got a serious problem. I decided to do a fresh installation of
> Vista Ultimate on my $4000 Asus VX2S Lamborghini notebook (which I got
> after getting a nice pay bonus back in 2007.
>
> Details of the Lambo are here:
> 'Techgage - ASUS Lamborghini VX2'
> (http://techgage.com/article/asus_lamborghini_vx2/)
>
> It was very sluggish and took about 5minutes to loadup. It was slow in
> multitasking and hanged on Windows Media Centre operations. Played games
> ok tho - but needed a cooler.
>
> Things improved a bit after I deleted some of the Asus bloatware
> mentioned in the unofficial asus notebook forum FAQ. Stuff like
> Splendid, TPM, Asus Protect, Asus live update, power4phone etc...
>
> But it still seemed a tad slow for a US$4000 machine, esp the startup
> and multitasking.
>
> I mentioned this to my friend a computer guru who advised me to do a
> format and fresh clean installation. He had a spare moment in the
> weekend so he formated C drive - including the recovery partition as I
> did not want the pre-installed Asus software.
>
> However after the 1st reinstall reboot - the installation hangs near
> the completion mark. I'm puzzled - not sure whats going on. Obviously
> can't get to desktop or do a safe mode.
>
> Can anyone help? Did a search and it seems to be a rare problem.
>
> BTW, I was using a Vista Ultimate Corporate installation disk. My
> computer came preinstalled with the VISTA Ultimate OEM copy with only a
> recovery disk. This caused significant problems which was only resolved
> after a lot of pain, esp. with the original crappy ASUS graphic card
> drivers which caused shutdown and sleep BSOD failures.
>
> The computer is spec. No modifications made. Asus changed the
> motherboard in 2008 after the headphone jack failed. But no problem
> afterwards.
>
> The notebook was actually running pretty good and reliable before this.
> The old sleep failure problems was resolved with the long awaited new
> Nvidia drivers. Installed all the updates, no problem. I just thot the
> reformat and reinstallation would clear out all the asus crap and make
> it better. Old school thinking I guess.
>
> The Asus lambo uses a SATA HD which may be the cause of the problem.
>
> We've tried loading up SATA drivers but no help.
>
> My friend was using his company Vista Ultimate Corporate installation
> disk to install as all I have is the VISTA CD Key.
>
> Please help.
>

> --
> sniper968

You need to find an new computer guru. One that knows something about vista
other than reinstall from a disk that is not set up for your system. Before
formatting he should have advised you to make the install disks from the
hidden partition. Didn't know that? Should have read the information that
came with your machine. He also should advised you on how, when, to make a
backup of your hard drive so you wouldn't have this problem. Now as Rick
advised you need to contact ASUS and see if they can supply you with the
install disks for your system. For the future all preinstalled systems come
with an OEM version of the operating system that is modified for that
hardware. When the preload is in a partition on the hard drive there are
instructions to make a set of preinstall CD's.

SonyVGNSZ460N

sniper968;1099126 Wrote:
> Hi. I've got a serious problem. I decided to do a fresh installation of
> Vista Ultimate on my $4000 Asus VX2S Lamborghini notebook (which I got
> after getting a nice pay bonus back in 2007.
>
> Details of the Lambo are here:
> 'Techgage - ASUS Lamborghini VX2'
> (http://techgage.com/article/asus_lamborghini_vx2/)
>
> It was very sluggish and took about 5minutes to loadup. It was slow in
> multitasking and hanged on Windows Media Centre operations. Played games
> ok tho - but needed a cooler.
>
> Things improved a bit after I deleted some of the Asus bloatware
> mentioned in the unofficial asus notebook forum FAQ. Stuff like
> Splendid, TPM, Asus Protect, Asus live update, power4phone etc...
>
> But it still seemed a tad slow for a US$4000 machine, esp the startup
> and multitasking.
>
> I mentioned this to my friend a computer guru who advised me to do a
> format and fresh clean installation. He had a spare moment in the
> weekend so he formated C drive - including the recovery partition as I
> did not want the pre-installed Asus software.
>
> However after the 1st reinstall reboot - the installation hangs near
> the completion mark. I'm puzzled - not sure whats going on. Obviously
> can't get to desktop or do a safe mode.
>
> Can anyone help? Did a search and it seems to be a rare problem.
>
> BTW, I was using a Vista Ultimate Corporate installation disk. My
> computer came preinstalled with the VISTA Ultimate OEM copy with only a
> recovery disk. This caused significant problems which was only resolved
> after a lot of pain, esp. with the original crappy ASUS graphic card
> drivers which caused repeated crashes and sleep BSOD failures and
> couldn't be repaired using the stupid Asus recovery disk)
>
> The computer is spec. No modifications made. Asus changed the
> motherboard in 2008 after the headphone jack failed. But no problem
> afterwards.
>
> The notebook was actually running pretty good and reliable before this.
> The old sleep failure problems was resolved with the long awaited new
> Nvidia drivers. Installed all the updates, no problem. I just thot the
> reformat and reinstallation would clear out all the asus crap and make
> it better. Old school thinking I guess.
>
> The Asus lambo uses a SATA HD which may be the cause of the problem.
>
> We've tried loading up SATA drivers but no help.
>
> (UPDATE: I changed the HD SATA to compatible mode and was able to
> successfully install XP PRO - my old installation disk - onto the Asus
> Lamborghini notebook. It works - even without the graphic card drivers.
> Can't seem to access the internet tho. But I can access D drive and view
> my storage information like video/photos etc..)
>
> Please help.

Having the same problem using recovery disks sniper968

Not the same laptop but - same issue with restoring it. hangs near
completion.

a couple tips i can give you, though i have not found a clean install
solution, i did manage to finess my comp into submission with only a 96%
recovery completion adn it's been heck ever since.

prep of the comp is golden - run a memory test - i did find a bad
modual

make sure your bios timer is set to the correct time - keeping in mind
if it is 24hr or 12hr display

Remove all modules - ie:memory card reader modules

if you can - ghost the restore image to your drive - i do not know why
the disks cause problems on some laptops adn i'm sure Acer and others
like my Sony - do not sit there installing from disk.

Though our comps cause may not be the same for this issues - i can
tellyou it is a total pain in the butt to locate the problem - i've been
fighting this Recovery for 2 weeks now.

Another recomendation - go Win7

i know others with the same problem or problems with Vista Recovery for
manufacturers propietory software, that said the heck with fighting it
and went to Win7 and now no problems.

I'm on the verge of it myself and it doesn't cost you anything but time
to sign up and download the Beta version at microsoft. And like Ultimate
it comes with drivers for DVD for WMP - it's notthe final release and
updates often with fixes - but no issues from those i know using it.

best of luck - i'll watch the thread to see if maybe some posts a cure
i haven't tried yet for recovery.

Sweet looking laptop btw - may try the Leather look on my Sony
- well maybe not - i have carbon fiber... ;0)

--
SonyVGNSZ460N
darkrats

Re: VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...
Does it hang at the point where setup is checking the computer's
performance? That's where the blurbs come on, telling you the advantages of
using Vista, while a progress bar appears at the bottom. If that's the case,
there may be a conflict between setup and one of the devices on the
computer. Press ALT+ F4 to, to by-pass this check, and go directly to the
desktop, and then check out the Device Manager to see what drivers need to
be installed.

"sniper968" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi. I've got a serious problem. I decided to do a fresh installation of
> Vista Ultimate on my $4000 Asus VX2S Lamborghini notebook (which I got
> after getting a nice pay bonus back in 2007.
>
> Details of the Lambo are here:
> 'Techgage - ASUS Lamborghini VX2'
> (http://techgage.com/article/asus_lamborghini_vx2/)
>
> It was very sluggish and took about 5minutes to loadup. It was slow in
> multitasking and hanged on Windows Media Centre operations. Played games
> ok tho - but needed a cooler.
>
> Things improved a bit after I deleted some of the Asus bloatware
> mentioned in the unofficial asus notebook forum FAQ. Stuff like
> Splendid, TPM, Asus Protect, Asus live update, power4phone etc...
>
> But it still seemed a tad slow for a US$4000 machine, esp the startup
> and multitasking.
>
> I mentioned this to my friend a computer guru who advised me to do a
> format and fresh clean installation. He had a spare moment in the
> weekend so he formated C drive - including the recovery partition as I
> did not want the pre-installed Asus software.
>
> However after the 1st reinstall reboot - the installation hangs near
> the completion mark. I'm puzzled - not sure whats going on. Obviously
> can't get to desktop or do a safe mode.
>
> Can anyone help? Did a search and it seems to be a rare problem.
>
> BTW, I was using a Vista Ultimate Corporate installation disk. My
> computer came preinstalled with the VISTA Ultimate OEM copy with only a
> recovery disk. This caused significant problems which was only resolved
> after a lot of pain, esp. with the original crappy ASUS graphic card
> drivers which caused shutdown and sleep BSOD failures.
>
> The computer is spec. No modifications made. Asus changed the
> motherboard in 2008 after the headphone jack failed. But no problem
> afterwards.
>
> The notebook was actually running pretty good and reliable before this.
> The old sleep failure problems was resolved with the long awaited new
> Nvidia drivers. Installed all the updates, no problem. I just thot the
> reformat and reinstallation would clear out all the asus crap and make
> it better. Old school thinking I guess.
>
> The Asus lambo uses a SATA HD which may be the cause of the problem.
>
> We've tried loading up SATA drivers but no help.
>
> My friend was using his company Vista Ultimate Corporate installation
> disk to install as all I have is the VISTA CD Key.
>
> Please help.
>

> --
> sniper968

sniper968

Re: VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...

I really don't understand what's going on. It was actually working in
Vista before this clean format and fresh up.

XP works ok.

I just installed Vista on top of that and I still get the same problem.
It shows installation was ok - then it comes to the black Microsoft
Window bootup screen = and shows its loading up forever.

No error messages

--
sniper968
Bill Daggett

Re: VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...
sniper968 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>I really don't understand what's going on. It was actually working in
>Vista before this clean format and fresh up.
>
>XP works ok.
>
>I just installed Vista on top of that and I still get the same problem.
>It shows installation was ok - then it comes to the black Microsoft
>Window bootup screen = and shows its loading up forever.
>
>No error messages

Others have told you that since you did NOT use a disc that had
specific drivers for your machine, you can expect to have problems.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you didn't want "any Asus
software" installed, so you didn't use the recovery partition.

It is looking as if you might have screwed up big time.
sniper968

Re: VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...

Not half as screwed up as you mate.

Sounds like you need more fibre in your diet.

--
sniper968
sniper968

Re: VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...

Thanks SonyVGN,

I installed the nvidia graphic driver for the system 2 months ago when
it was finally released. not the laptop2go, but the actual ngd from the
nv website. Took them over 2 years to release it. It worked perfectly.

The original Asus graphic cards drivers caused the computer not to wake
up when it went to sleep. The only recourse from that was a reboot.
Which on one occasion caused windows to break down. The stupid Asus
recovery disk provided did not offer a repair option. I had to borrow an
installation disk to do the repair.

However the computer still loaded up pretty slow. It took about 5 mins
+ before the HD light stopped flashing.

2 weeks ago, I deleted all the stupid asus bloatware and surprise, it
ran much faster.

Last weekend, I thot I'd go one step better and do a fresh installation
- which led to my current predicament.

Yeah, the issue is that it cannot complete the restore process. Stops -
you can reboot - but it hangs exactly as you say.

Called up Asus and they told me to use the recovery disk. Its loading
up right now. I was surprised as I thought it would only work with the
image partition.

--
sniper968
sniper968

Re: VISTA Ultimate fresh reformat clean Installation failure - hangs...

Some good news. I (found and) loaded the Asus recovery disk and it
reinstalled Vista. I lost the drivers disk and the image partition was
deleted - ergo, I expected the worse. But it works now.

Surprisingly very well, and smooth. So all's good.

The only hitch was the Sata disk was set to compatible during the
installation process; I had set it to compatible when I installed XP. I
turned it back to enhanced. But I'm just wondering whether it will cause
any problems? Its working ok now.

--
sniper968