Network connections gone?

sobriquet

Network connections gone?

Hello.

On an Acer laptop running Vista Home Premium, I have a strange
problem.
When I right-click the 'Network' icon on the desktop and pick
'properties'
from the context menu, I come to the Network and Sharing Center.
On the left side in the window, I can click on 'Manage network
connections' among the
listed Tasks and the Network Connections window comes up.
Normally, there are icons here for every connection (e.g. if I have
both wireless and a lan adapter that are available to use for
connecting to the local network,
it would typically list two icons).
Internet works fine, but I miss the ability to right-click the network
connection to disable/enable it for instance.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem or what might cause it?

Greetings and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek
Bill Daggett

Re: Network connections gone?
sobriquet wrote:

>Hello.
>
>On an Acer laptop running Vista Home Premium, I have a strange
>problem.
>When I right-click the 'Network' icon on the desktop and pick
>'properties'
>from the context menu, I come to the Network and Sharing Center.
>On the left side in the window, I can click on 'Manage network
>connections' among the
>listed Tasks and the Network Connections window comes up.
>Normally, there are icons here for every connection (e.g. if I have
>both wireless and a lan adapter that are available to use for
>connecting to the local network,
>it would typically list two icons).
>Internet works fine, but I miss the ability to right-click the network
>connection to disable/enable it for instance.
>
>Does anyone know how to resolve this problem or what might cause it?
>
>Greetings and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

Why don't you just right-click on the connection icon in your
notification area??

Last edited by Paul : 07-31-2009 at 10:23.
sobriquet

On 25 jul, 21:54, Bill Daggett wrote:
> sobriquet wrote:
>
> >Hello.

> >On an Acer laptop running Vista Home Premium, I have a strange
> >problem.
> >When I right-click the 'Network' icon on the desktop and pick
> >'properties'
> >from the context menu, I come to the Network and Sharing Center.
> >On the left side in the window, I can click on 'Manage network
> >connections' among the
> >listed Tasks and the Network Connections window comes up.
> >Normally, there are icons here for every connection (e.g. if I have
> >both wireless and a lan adapter that are available to use for
> >connecting to the local network,
> >it would typically list two icons).
> >Internet works fine, but I miss the ability to right-click the network
> >connection to disable/enable it for instance.

For clarity, the issue is that there are no icons whatsoever listed in
the Network Connections
window and I'm sure they used to be there, so there must be some
reason why they have disappeared.

> >Does anyone know how to resolve this problem or what might cause it?

> >Greetings and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek

> Why don't you just right-click on the connection icon in your
> notification area??

You mean in the system tray?
It doesn't give access to the same context menu that was available via
the icons in the
Network Connections window.
For one thing, I can't disable the network connection via the Network
icon in the system tray.

Last edited by Paul : 07-31-2009 at 10:24.

CommTech is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Network connections gone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
On 25 jul, 21:54, Bill Daggett wrote:
> sobriquet wrote:
>
> >Hello.
>
> >On an Acer laptop running Vista Home Premium, I have a strange
> >problem.
> >When I right-click the 'Network' icon on the desktop and pick
> >'properties'
> >from the context menu, I come to the Network and Sharing Center.
> >On the left side in the window, I can click on 'Manage network
> >connections' among the
> >listed Tasks and the Network Connections window comes up.
> >Normally, there are icons here for every connection (e.g. if I have
> >both wireless and a lan adapter that are available to use for
> >connecting to the local network,
> >it would typically list two icons).
> >Internet works fine, but I miss the ability to right-click the network
> >connection to disable/enable it for instance.

For clarity, the issue is that there are no icons whatsoever listed in
the Network Connections
window and I'm sure they used to be there, so there must be some
reason why they have disappeared.

> >Does anyone know how to resolve this problem or what might cause it?
>
> >Greetings and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek
>
> Why don't you just right-click on the connection icon in your
> notification area??

You mean in the system tray?
It doesn't give access to the same context menu that was available via
the icons in the
Network Connections window.
For one thing, I can't disable the network connection via the Network
icon in the system tray.
I have the same problem. When I go to manage netowork connctions, there are no connections in there to manage, even though internet works fine. For my work I need to go in and change around IP addresses to test static IP's and that's the only place I can do it. I've been cosulting numerous people who know alot about computers and I've been googling for about an hour and am exhausted. NO ONE seems to be able to fix this problem. In XP it's no problem, but NOOOO Vista has to make it hard. Someone please tell me how to fix this.