new computer cannot read vista disc

egage1979

new computer cannot read vista disc

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem and I cannot find the same issue anywhere on
the net.
I just bought the components for a new computer and along with it a OEM
copy of Visa Home premium 64bit.
When I put everything together i booted the computer and it asked me to
boot from cd/dvd obviously as I had no OS installed. I installed my
brand new Vista disc and nothing happened and then said it had failed to
boot from the disc.
After a few attempts I thought i would try with my XP dvd and I had no
problems at all. I figured I would roll with the install on XP and then
try the Vista disc as an upgrade. My computer will not detect the Vista
disc in the machine. I cannot explore the disc, run it etc.
My obvious though would be that it was a bad disc yet it runs fine on
my laptop (which already has a version of vista installed on it) I then
proceeded to install a different DVD writer / reader and there is
exactly the same problem.
Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and if there is
anything I can do, to not be able to even read the contents of the disc
is just weird!
Incidentally I can view and run other CD's and DVD's that I have tried
this seems very specific to the vista DVD

--
egage1979
Dominic Payer

Re: new computer cannot read vista disc
Check for a firmware update for the DVD drive.

On 23/07/2009 23:18, egage1979 wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a strange problem and I cannot find the same issue anywhere on
> the net.
> I just bought the components for a new computer and along with it a OEM
> copy of Visa Home premium 64bit.
> When I put everything together i booted the computer and it asked me to
> boot from cd/dvd obviously as I had no OS installed. I installed my
> brand new Vista disc and nothing happened and then said it had failed to
> boot from the disc.
> After a few attempts I thought i would try with my XP dvd and I had no
> problems at all. I figured I would roll with the install on XP and then
> try the Vista disc as an upgrade. My computer will not detect the Vista
> disc in the machine. I cannot explore the disc, run it etc.
> My obvious though would be that it was a bad disc yet it runs fine on
> my laptop (which already has a version of vista installed on it) I then
> proceeded to install a different DVD writer / reader and there is
> exactly the same problem.
> Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and if there is
> anything I can do, to not be able to even read the contents of the disc
> is just weird!
> Incidentally I can view and run other CD's and DVD's that I have tried
> this seems very specific to the vista DVD

R. C. White

Re: new computer cannot read vista disc
Hi, egage1979.

> I just bought the components for a new computer

Please fill us in on those "components for a new computer". What
motherboard, chipset, CPU - and BIOS? And, of course, which DVD drive?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"egage1979" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a strange problem and I cannot find the same issue anywhere on
> the net.
> I just bought the components for a new computer and along with it a OEM
> copy of Visa Home premium 64bit.
> When I put everything together i booted the computer and it asked me to
> boot from cd/dvd obviously as I had no OS installed. I installed my
> brand new Vista disc and nothing happened and then said it had failed to
> boot from the disc.
> After a few attempts I thought i would try with my XP dvd and I had no
> problems at all. I figured I would roll with the install on XP and then
> try the Vista disc as an upgrade. My computer will not detect the Vista
> disc in the machine. I cannot explore the disc, run it etc.
> My obvious though would be that it was a bad disc yet it runs fine on
> my laptop (which already has a version of vista installed on it) I then
> proceeded to install a different DVD writer / reader and there is
> exactly the same problem.
> Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and if there is
> anything I can do, to not be able to even read the contents of the disc
> is just weird!
> Incidentally I can view and run other CD's and DVD's that I have tried
> this seems very specific to the vista DVD
>

> --
> egage1979

BillW

Re: new computer cannot read vista disc
See if this helps

"egage1979" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a strange problem and I cannot find the same issue anywhere on
> the net.
> I just bought the components for a new computer and along with it a OEM
> copy of Visa Home premium 64bit.
> When I put everything together i booted the computer and it asked me to
> boot from cd/dvd obviously as I had no OS installed. I installed my
> brand new Vista disc and nothing happened and then said it had failed to
> boot from the disc.
> After a few attempts I thought i would try with my XP dvd and I had no
> problems at all. I figured I would roll with the install on XP and then
> try the Vista disc as an upgrade. My computer will not detect the Vista
> disc in the machine. I cannot explore the disc, run it etc.
> My obvious though would be that it was a bad disc yet it runs fine on
> my laptop (which already has a version of vista installed on it) I then
> proceeded to install a different DVD writer / reader and there is
> exactly the same problem.
> Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and if there is
> anything I can do, to not be able to even read the contents of the disc
> is just weird!
> Incidentally I can view and run other CD's and DVD's that I have tried
> this seems very specific to the vista DVD
>

> --
> egage1979

BillW