Easy Transfer download fails install W2K

BillPedersen

Easy Transfer download fails install W2K

I have down loaded the MS Easy Transfer programs but from all I can
figure out it no longer will install on Windows 2000.

Any suggestions?

Any one have an older version?

Thanks,

Bill.

--
BillPedersen
Malke

Re: Easy Transfer download fails install W2K
BillPedersen wrote:

> I have down loaded the MS Easy Transfer programs but from all I can
> figure out it no longer will install on Windows 2000.
>
> Any suggestions?

Easy Transfer is supposed to work on Win2k:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-transfer.aspx

Do you have the special cable?

Alternately, just copy your data to a CD/DVD-R, external hard drive, or USB
thumb drive with enough capacity and then transfer that saved data to the
new machine.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

BillPedersen

Re: Easy Transfer download fails install W2K

Yes, SUPPOSED, but when you go to the download page it now only
references XP and when you install it the install fails at then ends
saying it is the the correct version. I have Windows 2000 SP4 as
suggested in the some of the descriptions - but NOT the download page.

I do not have the cable. My machines are on a common network.

CD/DVD/External Disk are not the issue.

If the software does not install on the system it really does not make
a difference how I move the data.

Bill.

--
BillPedersen
Mike Brannigan

"BillPedersen" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have down loaded the MS Easy Transfer programs but from all I can
> figure out it no longer will install on Windows 2000.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Any one have an older version?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill.
>

> --
> BillPedersen

The Easy Transfer application now at Version 6 no longer supports Windows
2000.
The earlier version did support the transfer of files only (not settings)
and never supported the use of the special cable.
So if really a bit of a waste of time.
You might as well just transfer the files between the machines using your
network.

--

Mike Brannigan

Mike Brannigan wrote:

> The Easy Transfer application now at Version 6 no longer supports Windows
> 2000.
> The earlier version did support the transfer of files only (not settings)
> and never supported the use of the special cable.
> So if really a bit of a waste of time.
> You might as well just transfer the files between the machines using your
> network.

Thanks for the update, Mike. I guess MS should change the information on
their website, eh? Your solution about transfering the files across the
network is the best one.

Malke

> Mike Brannigan wrote:
>
>> The Easy Transfer application now at Version 6 no longer supports Windows
>> 2000.
>> The earlier version did support the transfer of files only (not settings)
>> and never supported the use of the special cable.
>> So if really a bit of a waste of time.
>> You might as well just transfer the files between the machines using your
>> network.
>>

> Thanks for the update, Mike. I guess MS should change the information on
> their website, eh? Your solution about transfering the files across the
> network is the best one.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP