Partitioning software incompatibilities

Howard Kaikow

Partitioning software incompatibilities

I recently enountered 'siginificant incompatibilities using Partition
Magic' (http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19713) in
Windows 2000 creating a dual boot Windows 2000/Ubuntu Linux system.

I realize that PM must not be used in Vista or Windows 7.

I am planning on having two Windows 7 systems as follows:

1. Dual boot Windows XP Pro/Windows 7 Pro.
2. Dual boot Windows Vista Home Premium/Windows 7 Home.

For the XP system, I could format the partitionss using Partition
Magic, run from XP, but if I later wish to add a Linux partition. I'd
likely have the same problem I desctibed in the link supra.

For the Vista system, I could format the partitions using Acronis Disk
Director 10, run from Vista. Again, this might be complicated by using
Disk Director, I do not yet know.

So, what partitioning software is required for the following cases:

1. Dual boot XP/Windows 7
2. Dual boot Vista/Windows 7
3. Triple-boot XP/Windows 7/Ubuntu Linux.
4. Triple boot Vista/Windows 7/Ubuntu Linux

I am asking this same question in a Windows 7 and in an Ubuntu forum.

--
Howard Kaikow
Bill Daggett

Re: Partitioning software incompatibilities
Howard Kaikow <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>I recently enountered 'siginificant incompatibilities using Partition
>Magic' (http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19713) in
>Windows 2000 creating a dual boot Windows 2000/Ubuntu Linux system.
>
>I realize that PM must not be used in Vista or Windows 7.
>
>I am planning on having two Windows 7 systems as follows:
>
>1. Dual boot Windows XP Pro/Windows 7 Pro.
>2. Dual boot Windows Vista Home Premium/Windows 7 Home.
>
>For the XP system, I could format the partitionss using Partition
>Magic, run from XP, but if I later wish to add a Linux partition. I'd
>likely have the same problem I desctibed in the link supra.
>
>For the Vista system, I could format the partitions using Acronis Disk
>Director 10, run from Vista. Again, this might be complicated by using
>Disk Director, I do not yet know.
>
>So, what partitioning software is required for the following cases:
>
>1. Dual boot XP/Windows 7
>2. Dual boot Vista/Windows 7
>3. Triple-boot XP/Windows 7/Ubuntu Linux.
>4. Triple boot Vista/Windows 7/Ubuntu Linux
>
>I am asking this same question in a Windows 7 and in an Ubuntu forum.

Acronis Disk Director should satisfy all your needs... it certainly
will work using the boot disk (it runs on Linux).
Rick Rogers

Re: Partitioning software incompatibilities
To add: Use of multiple partitioning utilities is a recipe for disaster. Use
one, and only one, that supports all the systems you intend on installing.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org