Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries

czer27

Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries
Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries. The seventh or more entry does not
more appear. In bcdedit or EasyBCD all OS will be displayed. Is there a
registry entry restricting the boot menu to 6 entries?
Badger

Re: Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries
Right click the task bar and select properties,

Click Start Menu tab,

Click Customize button,

Click up arrow in Number of recent programs to display.

"czer27" <czer27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries. The seventh or more entry does not
> more appear. In bcdedit or EasyBCD all OS will be displayed. Is there a
> registry entry restricting the boot menu to 6 entries?

R. C. White

Re: Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries
Hi, czer27.

How many operating systems do you have installed?

I have 6 (3 Win7's, 2 Vistas and a Legacy for WinXP). (During early beta
testing of Vista I was "octo-booting" several builds for a short time, but
we were still using a hybrid Boot.ini type menu at that time, before BCD.)
So far as I know, there is no limit on the number of menu items. Could it
be that you just need to scroll down further - that your 7th item is just
off the screen?

That menu appears while the computer is still in Text Mode, of course, so
you may have less screen resolution, thus fewer visible lines, than in
Windows. Also, your keyboard may not be responsive at this point. (When I
want to boot into Vista, I have to move my USB transceiver from the hub to
an onboard port; otherwise, the wireless keyboard is not recognized at the
time that I need to choose between Vista and Win7.)

I haven't heard this question before. When you find the answer, please let
us know.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"czer27" <czer27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries. The seventh or more entry does not
> more appear. In bcdedit or EasyBCD all OS will be displayed. Is there a
> registry entry restricting the boot menu to 6 entries?

Badger

Re: Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries
Hi, R.C.

I was thinking. when he hit the Start button, he only saw 6 items above the
All Programs line, which is adjustable.

Badger

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, czer27.
>
> How many operating systems do you have installed?
>
> I have 6 (3 Win7's, 2 Vistas and a Legacy for WinXP). (During early beta
> testing of Vista I was "octo-booting" several builds for a short time, but
> we were still using a hybrid Boot.ini type menu at that time, before BCD.)
> So far as I know, there is no limit on the number of menu items. Could it
> be that you just need to scroll down further - that your 7th item is just
> off the screen?
>
> That menu appears while the computer is still in Text Mode, of course, so
> you may have less screen resolution, thus fewer visible lines, than in
> Windows. Also, your keyboard may not be responsive at this point. (When
> I want to boot into Vista, I have to move my USB transceiver from the hub
> to an onboard port; otherwise, the wireless keyboard is not recognized at
> the time that I need to choose between Vista and Win7.)
>
> I haven't heard this question before. When you find the answer, please
> let us know.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 RC 7100
>
> "czer27" <czer27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries. The seventh or more entry does
>> not
>> more appear. In bcdedit or EasyBCD all OS will be displayed. Is there a
>> registry entry restricting the boot menu to 6 entries?

Mort

Re: Vistas boot menu shows only 6 entries
"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote:

>Hi, czer27.
>
>How many operating systems do you have installed?
>
>I have 6 (3 Win7's, 2 Vistas and a Legacy for WinXP).

Uh-oh... better get ready for a "Nanny" post from Gordon.
Badger

Re: Vistas boot menu shows only 6 entries
Yeah, I don't know what group he is with, but if he was in this one he could
follow the thread.

"Mort" <mort.a.della@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi, czer27.
>>
>>How many operating systems do you have installed?
>>
>>I have 6 (3 Win7's, 2 Vistas and a Legacy for WinXP).

> Uh-oh... better get ready for a "Nanny" post from Gordon.

Badger

Re: Vistas boot menu shows only 6 entries
I was talking about Gordon of course.

"Badger" <jerrymcm@msn.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, I don't know what group he is with, but if he was in this one he
> could follow the thread.
>

> "Mort" <mort.a.della@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, czer27.
>>>
>>>How many operating systems do you have installed?
>>>
>>>I have 6 (3 Win7's, 2 Vistas and a Legacy for WinXP).

>> Uh-oh... better get ready for a "Nanny" post from Gordon.

czer27

Re: Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries
Hi Badger,

thanks for your hint. I´ve tried, but it does not help.
I think, your hint is good for last used programs in Vista, but not for
displays out of Vista. The Windows Boot Manager comes before an OS is
started. This is out of Vista.

"Badger" wrote:

> Right click the task bar and select properties,
>
> Click Start Menu tab,
>
> Click Customize button,
>
> Click up arrow in Number of recent programs to display.
>

> "czer27" <czer27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries. The seventh or more entry does not
> > more appear. In bcdedit or EasyBCD all OS will be displayed. Is there a
> > registry entry restricting the boot menu to 6 entries?

czer27

Re: Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries
Hi R.C.White,

many thanks for your good idea!

I´ve never tried to scroll down further, because I thought, the sixth OS is
the end of the boot menu. But it is not the end. The seventh and eight´s OS
was just off the screen and they appear, when I scroll down further.

So simple and not tried!

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, czer27.
>
> How many operating systems do you have installed?
>
> I have 6 (3 Win7's, 2 Vistas and a Legacy for WinXP). (During early beta
> testing of Vista I was "octo-booting" several builds for a short time, but
> we were still using a hybrid Boot.ini type menu at that time, before BCD.)
> So far as I know, there is no limit on the number of menu items. Could it
> be that you just need to scroll down further - that your 7th item is just
> off the screen?
>
> That menu appears while the computer is still in Text Mode, of course, so
> you may have less screen resolution, thus fewer visible lines, than in
> Windows. Also, your keyboard may not be responsive at this point. (When I
> want to boot into Vista, I have to move my USB transceiver from the hub to
> an onboard port; otherwise, the wireless keyboard is not recognized at the
> time that I need to choose between Vista and Win7.)
>
> I haven't heard this question before. When you find the answer, please let
> us know.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 RC 7100
>
> "czer27" <czer27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries. The seventh or more entry does not
> > more appear. In bcdedit or EasyBCD all OS will be displayed. Is there a
> > registry entry restricting the boot menu to 6 entries?

R. C. White

Re: Vista´s boot menu shows only 6 entries
Hi, czer27.

Great! Thanks for the feedback!

Isn't it wonderful when we find simple solutions to complicated problems?
;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA