Dual boot - BIOS related

dhaher

Dual boot - BIOS related

I have recently bought a Lenovo ideapad laptop with Windows Vista Home
Premium 64 bit OS. The system comes with an auto recovery software
instead of the CDs. When I attempted to create recovery CDs, the
software needed more space than the one in the D partition, and refused
to create the file on the C partition, where Vista is instaled. So I
downloaded a partition manager and resized C: to create a new partition.
It asked for a restart. After the restart, a prompt was displayed asking
to choose one OS to boot from. The two options were as follows:

Drive 0: Vista/2008/7 NTFS
Linux NTFS

I never got this before. It used to automatically load Windows Vista.
When I logged on to Windows, I found out that the partition software did
not create the partition, so the HDD is still the same, but now, every
time I start up the laptop, or come back from hibernate, I got the above
message.

Is there an way, I can reconfigure the system to load Windows Vista by
default?

Thank you in advance.

--
dhaher
Malke

Re: Dual boot - BIOS related
dhaher wrote:

> I have recently bought a Lenovo ideapad laptop with Windows Vista Home
> Premium 64 bit OS. The system comes with an auto recovery software
> instead of the CDs. When I attempted to create recovery CDs, the
> software needed more space than the one in the D partition, and refused
> to create the file on the C partition, where Vista is instaled. So I
> downloaded a partition manager and resized C: to create a new partition.
> It asked for a restart. After the restart, a prompt was displayed asking
> to choose one OS to boot from. The two options were as follows:
>
> Drive 0: Vista/2008/7 NTFS
> Linux NTFS
>
> I never got this before. It used to automatically load Windows Vista.
> When I logged on to Windows, I found out that the partition software did
> not create the partition, so the HDD is still the same, but now, every
> time I start up the laptop, or come back from hibernate, I got the above
> message.
>
> Is there an way, I can reconfigure the system to load Windows Vista by
> default?

1. First mistake - not immediately contacting Lenovo tech support (who are
actually quite good) about the problem creating your recovery disc set.

2. Second mistake - creating the partition with the third-party partition
manager.

Solution: Because Lenovo Ideapads might be the same as Thinkpads in that if
you change the partitioning/damage the special recovery partition you can
no longer restore your computer to factory condition this way, contact
Lenovo tech support. Tell them what you did and see if there is any way to
get back to standard configuration. While you are speaking to them, address
the issue of not being able to create the recovery disc set and order a
recovery disc set. Since the machine is under warranty, this may cost
nothing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

dhaher

Re: Dual boot - BIOS related

Actually, the problem was solved. I downloaded EasyBCD and selected to
"reset BCD storage". Everything went back to normal.

--
dhaher