Vista repair install

Neil

Vista repair install
I'm Using Vista ultimate OEM version.
I have recently started having problems with some of my desktop shortcuts,
particularly system shortcuts.
For example I can not access device manager via 'my computer' icon Can not
access commad prompt as administrator.
Also avarious icons on startup menu do not work, but do work if I access
through 'all programs'.

Would like to repair install my windows installation, but can not find a
repair option apart from startup files.
Can I do a full repair using a a Vista OEM disk?

Thanks
Curious

Re: Vista repair install
I suggest you try copying icons from All Programs to your desktop using drag
and drop, deleting the old versions of the icons on the desktop and then
pinning the new versions of them to your start menu.

"Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm Using Vista ultimate OEM version.
> I have recently started having problems with some of my desktop shortcuts,
> particularly system shortcuts.
> For example I can not access device manager via 'my computer' icon Can not
> access commad prompt as administrator.
> Also avarious icons on startup menu do not work, but do work if I access
> through 'all programs'.
>
> Would like to repair install my windows installation, but can not find a
> repair option apart from startup files.
> Can I do a full repair using a a Vista OEM disk?
>
> Thanks

SIW2

Re: Vista repair install

Hi Neil,

It depends what kind of OEM disc you have. If you have a Dell dvd - you
should be fine , otherwise you may be out of luck.

There is a tutorial here:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Neil

Re: Vista repair install
Thanks for the replies.
It is not a Dell disc so don't think it will work for repair install, does
seem unusual that this option has been removed when it was always available
with XP.

With regard to icons not working, think I've sorted that one out.

When I try and run CMD as administrator from desktop icon or access device
manager from computer icon on desktop, I get a message briefly flashing up
on the taskbar titled 'RarDLTitle'.
Uninstalled WinRAR and all has gone back to normal, very strange!

Thanks again