preparing for factory re-install

Hi,
I have a Dell insperon 530S. I think its time for a factory re-install. I am
confused about how to save all my doc's, music, pix, etc before I do this.
The kids use I-tunes, I have folders of music in different formats ( I
think), we have Kodak and Olympus picture folders, old email in two
different identities, and on and on.
Is there a step-by-step on how to do this correctly, so I don't lose stuff
and I am able to find and save everything I need? I'm figuring I will burn
everything to a DVD or two, but I don't know....

Thnx,

Re: preparing for factory re-install
several glitchie things have been accumulating that i havent been able to
fix, concerning attachments in windows mail, IE, AVG, Ad-aware and a couple
other things. i cant go back far enough in the restores, so maybe its best
to save my stuff and start over with a new installation.
finding and correctly saving everything (emails, bookmarks included) has me
nervous.

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> Why do you think you need to do a reinstall to origonal specs? Its not
> usually neccesary except as a last resort.
> Broadly speaking you copy all data to external media, it might be as
> simple as copying Documents folders, but since users can store data in
> other places there is no hard and fast rule
> There are many backup apps, or you could buy an external drive that
> features a backup application.
> You should in any case backup data on a regular basis, to protect against
> the inevitable hardware failure.
>
> "V" <viktah@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have a Dell insperon 530S. I think its time for a factory re-install. I
>> am confused about how to save all my doc's, music, pix, etc before I do
>> this. The kids use I-tunes, I have folders of music in different formats
>> ( I think), we have Kodak and Olympus picture folders, old email in two
>> different identities, and on and on.
>> Is there a step-by-step on how to do this correctly, so I don't lose
>> stuff and I am able to find and save everything I need? I'm figuring I
>> will burn everything to a DVD or two, but I don't know....
>>
>> Thnx,

Malke

V wrote:

> several glitchie things have been accumulating that i havent been able to
> fix, concerning attachments in windows mail, IE, AVG, Ad-aware and a
> couple other things. i cant go back far enough in the restores, so maybe
> its best to save my stuff and start over with a new installation.
> finding and correctly saving everything (emails, bookmarks included) has
> me nervous.

There is no set checklist. You have to know what programs you use and where
those programs store their data. That's why it is good for most people to
keep all their data in various folders in their User directory, so
everything is in one place.

C:\Users\your-user-account

Here you'll find your Favorites, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc.
For Firefox bookmarks, since the system is still operational open Firefox
and "organize bookmarks" and "export to html". Save the html file in your
Documents folder.

Email - it depends on what email client you use. If you read your mail
online (Yahoo, Gmail) you don't need to worry about it. If you use an email
client like Windows Mail, Thunderbird, or Outlook you have to know how to
back it up and save the backup files somewhere in your Users directory.
Maybe make a folder cleverly called "Email Backup".

Specialized programs like Quicken, Quickbooks, database programs - know how
these programs work. Quicken/Quickbooks use a Backup and Restore from
within the programs themselves.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

MLD

Re: preparing for factory re-install

"V" <viktah@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a Dell insperon 530S. I think its time for a factory re-install. I
> am confused about how to save all my doc's, music, pix, etc before I do
> this. The kids use I-tunes, I have folders of music in different formats
> ( I think), we have Kodak and Olympus picture folders, old email in two
> different identities, and on and on.
> Is there a step-by-step on how to do this correctly, so I don't lose
> stuff and I am able to find and save everything I need? I'm figuring I
> will burn everything to a DVD or two, but I don't know....
>
> Thnx,

Take a look at the info in the link below and see if it does what you want
MLD

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...man_osri_task6