Computer will not start

Bill

Computer will not start
Have changed power unit but computer will not start at all.

How should I diagnose from here? Could this be CMOS battery?

M/B is socket 939 about 2 years old.

R. C. White

Re: Computer will not start
Hi, Bill.

There is SO MUCH you haven't told us! :>(

Does "power unit" mean power supply unit (PSU) or uninterruptible power
supply (UPS) or something else? WHY did you change it? Did the old one get
zapped by lighting? Or what?

Does your computer make any beep codes at all?

I could ask about a hundred other questions, but why don't you just try
again and tell us enough that we have at least a chance to help you.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Bill" <hercjunk@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have changed power unit but computer will not start at all.
>
> How should I diagnose from here? Could this be CMOS battery?
>
> M/B is socket 939 about 2 years old.

GrahamH

Re: Computer will not start

"Bill" <hercjunk@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have changed power unit but computer will not start at all.
>
> How should I diagnose from here? Could this be CMOS battery?
>
> M/B is socket 939 about 2 years old.

More information and history of the pc would be welcome.!!!!
Have you done anything to the pc that killed it or was it running fine and
then died.???
When you say it does`nt start do you mean no bios post or just not booting
into O/S.
You say you have replaced the psu, Why ????
Can you see any fans running.???
Maybe we can help once you answer some basic questions.
Regards,
Graham.....

Bill

Re: Computer will not start
Guys I'm really sorrry. Did not give enough info.

This is a spare computer on which I recently formated the C: drive to clean
install Vista.

I have had problems trying to get the OS disk to boot to load Vista. Then
today, the computer will not even run the CPU or system fan. It is
completely dead, defunct, lifeless. Nothing at all happens when I operate
the ON button. The ON button is wired to the board!!

I have a spare PSU (350W) so I changed it but the whole system remains
totally, utterly without any sign of life whatsoever.

I can't think of anything more relevant at present, am fairly computer
literate, have built 3 PC's successfully but I am a bit stumped now!!

Thanks!!

"GrahamH" <spam@nothing.invalid.> wrote in message

> "Bill" <hercjunk@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Have changed power unit but computer will not start at all.
>>
>> How should I diagnose from here? Could this be CMOS battery?
>>
>> M/B is socket 939 about 2 years old.
>>

> More information and history of the pc would be welcome.!!!!
> Have you done anything to the pc that killed it or was it running fine and
> then died.???
> When you say it does`nt start do you mean no bios post or just not booting
> into O/S.
> You say you have replaced the psu, Why ????
> Can you see any fans running.???
> Maybe we can help once you answer some basic questions.
> Regards,
> Graham.....

Bruce Chambers

Re: Computer will not start
Bill wrote:
> Guys I'm really sorrry. Did not give enough info.
>
> This is a spare computer on which I recently formated the C: drive to
> clean install Vista.
>
> I have had problems trying to get the OS disk to boot to load Vista.
> Then today, the computer will not even run the CPU or system fan. It is
> completely dead, defunct, lifeless. Nothing at all happens when I
> operate the ON button. The ON button is wired to the board!!
>
> I have a spare PSU (350W) so I changed it but the whole system remains
> totally, utterly without any sign of life whatsoever.
>
> I can't think of anything more relevant at present, am fairly computer
> literate, have built 3 PC's successfully but I am a bit stumped now!!

If replacing the power supply didn't fix it, and you're absolutely
certain that it's installed correctly, the next component to replace is
the motherboard.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Badger

Re: Computer will not start
Probably doesn't apply, but some of the older boards have a fuse on the
motherboard.

> Guys I'm really sorrry. Did not give enough info.
>
> This is a spare computer on which I recently formated the C: drive to
> clean install Vista.
>
> I have had problems trying to get the OS disk to boot to load Vista. Then
> today, the computer will not even run the CPU or system fan. It is
> completely dead, defunct, lifeless. Nothing at all happens when I operate
> the ON button. The ON button is wired to the board!!
>
> I have a spare PSU (350W) so I changed it but the whole system remains
> totally, utterly without any sign of life whatsoever.
>
> I can't think of anything more relevant at present, am fairly computer
> literate, have built 3 PC's successfully but I am a bit stumped now!!
>
> Thanks!!
>

> "GrahamH" <spam@nothing.invalid.> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill" <hercjunk@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Have changed power unit but computer will not start at all.
>>>
>>> How should I diagnose from here? Could this be CMOS battery?
>>>
>>> M/B is socket 939 about 2 years old.
>>>

>> More information and history of the pc would be welcome.!!!!
>> Have you done anything to the pc that killed it or was it running fine
>> and then died.???
>> When you say it does`nt start do you mean no bios post or just not
>> booting into O/S.
>> You say you have replaced the psu, Why ????
>> Can you see any fans running.???
>> Maybe we can help once you answer some basic questions.
>> Regards,
>> Graham.....

Bill

Re: Computer will not start
Thanks guys, now looking for a socket 939 board

Bill

> Bill wrote:
>> Guys I'm really sorrry. Did not give enough info.
>>
>> This is a spare computer on which I recently formated the C: drive to
>> clean install Vista.
>>
>> I have had problems trying to get the OS disk to boot to load Vista.
>> Then today, the computer will not even run the CPU or system fan. It is
>> completely dead, defunct, lifeless. Nothing at all happens when I
>> operate the ON button. The ON button is wired to the board!!
>>
>> I have a spare PSU (350W) so I changed it but the whole system remains
>> totally, utterly without any sign of life whatsoever.
>>
>> I can't think of anything more relevant at present, am fairly computer
>> literate, have built 3 PC's successfully but I am a bit stumped now!!
>>

> If replacing the power supply didn't fix it, and you're absolutely certain
> that it's installed correctly, the next component to replace is the
> motherboard.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

peter

Re: Computer will not start
If by "wired" you mean soldered then a new motherboard is in order
but if you mean attached to the board by means of Pins there are usually 2 a
negative and positive and on the off
chance that maybe the power button is at fault short the 2 pins with the
metal edge of a screwdriver and see if it starts.
We assume you have the Power Switch on the PSU in the ON position??
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"Bill" <hercjunk@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message
> Guys I'm really sorrry. Did not give enough info.
>
> This is a spare computer on which I recently formated the C: drive to
> clean install Vista.
>
> I have had problems trying to get the OS disk to boot to load Vista. Then
> today, the computer will not even run the CPU or system fan. It is
> completely dead, defunct, lifeless. Nothing at all happens when I operate
> the ON button. The ON button is wired to the board!!
>
> I have a spare PSU (350W) so I changed it but the whole system remains
> totally, utterly without any sign of life whatsoever.
>
> I can't think of anything more relevant at present, am fairly computer
> literate, have built 3 PC's successfully but I am a bit stumped now!!
>
> Thanks!!
>

> "GrahamH" <spam@nothing.invalid.> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill" <hercjunk@removethishotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Have changed power unit but computer will not start at all.
>>>
>>> How should I diagnose from here? Could this be CMOS battery?
>>>
>>> M/B is socket 939 about 2 years old.
>>>

>> More information and history of the pc would be welcome.!!!!
>> Have you done anything to the pc that killed it or was it running fine
>> and then died.???
>> When you say it does`nt start do you mean no bios post or just not
>> booting into O/S.
>> You say you have replaced the psu, Why ????
>> Can you see any fans running.???
>> Maybe we can help once you answer some basic questions.
>> Regards,
>> Graham.....

Dominic Payer

Re: Computer will not start
First, remove everything - graphics card and anything connected,
including keyboard and mouse - and see if it starts up. I have known a
dead graphics card stop a machine from starting up at all.

If you need a 939 board
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...9N68PV-GLAN&s= is the only
one generally available but some have old stock of other boards.

On 17/07/2009 16:27, Bill wrote:
> Thanks guys, now looking for a socket 939 board
>
> Bill
>

> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>>
>> Bill wrote:
>>> Guys I'm really sorrry. Did not give enough info.
>>>
>>> This is a spare computer on which I recently formated the C: drive to
>>> clean install Vista.
>>>
>>> I have had problems trying to get the OS disk to boot to load Vista.
>>> Then today, the computer will not even run the CPU or system fan. It
>>> is completely dead, defunct, lifeless. Nothing at all happens when I
>>> operate the ON button. The ON button is wired to the board!!
>>>
>>> I have a spare PSU (350W) so I changed it but the whole system
>>> remains totally, utterly without any sign of life whatsoever.
>>>
>>> I can't think of anything more relevant at present, am fairly
>>> computer literate, have built 3 PC's successfully but I am a bit
>>> stumped now!!
>>>

>> If replacing the power supply didn't fix it, and you're absolutely
>> certain that it's installed correctly, the next component to replace
>> is the motherboard.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
>>
>> They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin
>>
>> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
>> Russell
>>
>> The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
>> killed a great many philosophers.
>> ~ Denis Diderot

Richard Urban

Re: Computer will not start
Back about 5-6 years ago I had a keyboard that caused exactly this problem.
After changing everything in the computer case I fired up the box,
forgetting to connect the keyboard. The system came to life and gave me a
missing keyboard error. I shut down, plugged in the keyboard - then tried
again. NOTHING!

A new 15 dollar keyboard solved the problem.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP