Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack

Jonathan Boyko

Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack
Hey, all

I am having certain problem upgrading my Vista.

About two years ago I bought Windows Vista Ultimate x32 disc to upgrade my
older laptop. However, back then... Well, Vista was far from perfect back
then, no SP1... So I put it in a drawer.

Now I bought a new HP laptop, boasting Vista Home Premium SP1. Thanks to
Service Pack 1, Vista finally reached the level I can use it, so I thought
of upgrading Vista to Ultimate. Unfortunately, the Setup would not allow
me to upgrade, saying the version on the laptop is newer than the DVD installation
(laptop has SP1, DVD not).

Now, question, what should I do? Was buying Ultimate just a waste of money?
How do I go about upgrading it now? I tried to see if I can uninstall Service
Pack 1, however, the OS came with SP1 built-in, thus I cannot uninstall it.

Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

---
Sincerely,
Jonathan M. Boyko,
TMidEast.Com.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack
"Jonathan Boyko" <i601st@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:32e6aa2c70698cbd131894cf954@msnews.microsoft. com...
> Hey, all
>
> I am having certain problem upgrading my Vista.
>
> About two years ago I bought Windows Vista Ultimate x32 disc to upgrade my
> older laptop. However, back then... Well, Vista was far from perfect back
> then, no SP1... So I put it in a drawer.
>
> Now I bought a new HP laptop, boasting Vista Home Premium SP1. Thanks to
> Service Pack 1, Vista finally reached the level I can use it, so I thought
> of upgrading Vista to Ultimate. Unfortunately, the Setup would not allow
> me to upgrade, saying the version on the laptop is newer than the DVD
> installation (laptop has SP1, DVD not).
>
> Now, question, what should I do? Was buying Ultimate just a waste of
> money? How do I go about upgrading it now? I tried to see if I can
> uninstall Service Pack 1, however, the OS came with SP1 built-in, thus I
> cannot uninstall it.
>
> Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> ---
> Sincerely,
> Jonathan M. Boyko,
> TMidEast.Com.

You probably wasted your money. Try for a refund. I assume that you did not
pay too much for an old version of Ultimate..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Jonathan Boyko

Re: Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack
Ehlo Mike Hall - MVP,
Well, I bought it when it was still new.

That's it? M$ is *that* dumb? Or is it the greed talking?

Any ideas if its possible to slipstream SP1 into installation?

---
Sincerely,
Jonathan M. Boyko,
TMidEast.Com.

M> "Jonathan Boyko" <i601st@gmail.com> wrote in message
M> news:32e6aa2c70698cbd131894cf954@msnews.microsoft. com...
M>
>> Hey, all
>>
>> I am having certain problem upgrading my Vista.
>>
>> About two years ago I bought Windows Vista Ultimate x32 disc to
>> upgrade my older laptop. However, back then... Well, Vista was far
>> from perfect back then, no SP1... So I put it in a drawer.
>>
>> Now I bought a new HP laptop, boasting Vista Home Premium SP1. Thanks
>> to Service Pack 1, Vista finally reached the level I can use it, so I
>> thought of upgrading Vista to Ultimate. Unfortunately, the Setup
>> would not allow me to upgrade, saying the version on the laptop is
>> newer than the DVD installation (laptop has SP1, DVD not).
>>
>> Now, question, what should I do? Was buying Ultimate just a waste of
>> money? How do I go about upgrading it now? I tried to see if I can
>> uninstall Service Pack 1, however, the OS came with SP1 built-in,
>> thus I cannot uninstall it.
>>
>> Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> ---
>> Sincerely,
>> Jonathan M. Boyko,
>> TMidEast.Com.

M> You probably wasted your money. Try for a refund. I assume that you
M> did not pay too much for an old version of Ultimate..

Curious

Re: Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack
What features are there in Ultimate that are not in Home Premium that you
need?
It may be possible if you can borrow a Vista 32 bit SP1 installation DVD to
use the key that came with your Ultimate upgrade DVD to do the upgrade.
If you have the retail version of Vista Ultimate Upgrade it should have come
with both a 32 bit installation DVD and a 64 bit installation DVD so if your
new laptop is 64 bit capable and you can borrow a SP1 UltimateDVD then you
may be able to upgrade direct to 64 bit.

"Jonathan Boyko" <i601st@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:32e6aa2c70698cbd131894cf954@msnews.microsoft. com...
> Hey, all
>
> I am having certain problem upgrading my Vista.
>
> About two years ago I bought Windows Vista Ultimate x32 disc to upgrade my
> older laptop. However, back then... Well, Vista was far from perfect back
> then, no SP1... So I put it in a drawer.
>
> Now I bought a new HP laptop, boasting Vista Home Premium SP1. Thanks to
> Service Pack 1, Vista finally reached the level I can use it, so I thought
> of upgrading Vista to Ultimate. Unfortunately, the Setup would not allow
> me to upgrade, saying the version on the laptop is newer than the DVD
> installation (laptop has SP1, DVD not).
>
> Now, question, what should I do? Was buying Ultimate just a waste of
> money? How do I go about upgrading it now? I tried to see if I can
> uninstall Service Pack 1, however, the OS came with SP1 built-in, thus I
> cannot uninstall it.
>
> Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> ---
> Sincerely,
> Jonathan M. Boyko,
> TMidEast.Com.

Jonathan Boyko

Re: Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack
Ehlo Curious,
Well, one of the options I want most is the ability to install Language Packs.
My Vista Home Premium is in Hebrew (installed particularly so I could upgrade
to Ultimate, as my DVD comes with Hebrew installation).

BitLocker would be nice too. Nothing to fancy on my laptop, but I had already
one stolen before, and wouldn't want my info falling into enemy's hands easily

---
Sincerely,
Jonathan M. Boyko,
TMidEast.Com.

C> What features are there in Ultimate that are not in Home Premium
C> that you
C> need?
C> It may be possible if you can borrow a Vista 32 bit SP1 installation
C> DVD to
C> use the key that came with your Ultimate upgrade DVD to do the
C> upgrade.
C> If you have the retail version of Vista Ultimate Upgrade it should
C> have come
C> with both a 32 bit installation DVD and a 64 bit installation DVD so
C> if your
C> new laptop is 64 bit capable and you can borrow a SP1 UltimateDVD
C> then you
C> may be able to upgrade direct to 64 bit.
C> "Jonathan Boyko" <i601st@gmail.com> wrote in message
C> news:32e6aa2c70698cbd131894cf954@msnews.microsoft. com...
C>
>> Hey, all
>>
>> I am having certain problem upgrading my Vista.
>>
>> About two years ago I bought Windows Vista Ultimate x32 disc to
>> upgrade my older laptop. However, back then... Well, Vista was far
>> from perfect back then, no SP1... So I put it in a drawer.
>>
>> Now I bought a new HP laptop, boasting Vista Home Premium SP1. Thanks
>> to Service Pack 1, Vista finally reached the level I can use it, so I
>> thought of upgrading Vista to Ultimate. Unfortunately, the Setup
>> would not allow me to upgrade, saying the version on the laptop is
>> newer than the DVD installation (laptop has SP1, DVD not).
>>
>> Now, question, what should I do? Was buying Ultimate just a waste of
>> money? How do I go about upgrading it now? I tried to see if I can
>> uninstall Service Pack 1, however, the OS came with SP1 built-in,
>> thus I cannot uninstall it.
>>
>> Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> ---
>> Sincerely,
>> Jonathan M. Boyko,
>> TMidEast.Com.

Dominic Payer

Re: Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack
SP1 can't be slipstreamed.

All Vista SP1 disks are the same, whatever the labels may say, the only
difference is whether they are 32 or 64 bit, so you could use your
Ultimate key with any 32-bit SP1 disk you obtain.

You may be able to borrow someone's 32-bit SP1 disk, or HP might, for a
fee, be willing to supply a SP1 installation disk to supplement the
recovery disk you already have.

On 12/07/2009 16:33, Jonathan Boyko wrote:
> Ehlo Mike Hall - MVP,
> Well, I bought it when it was still new.
>
> That's it? M$ is *that* dumb? Or is it the greed talking?
>
> Any ideas if its possible to slipstream SP1 into installation?
>
> ---
> Sincerely,
> Jonathan M. Boyko,
> TMidEast.Com.
>

> M> "Jonathan Boyko" <i601st@gmail.com> wrote in message
> M> news:32e6aa2c70698cbd131894cf954@msnews.microsoft. com...
> M>
>>> Hey, all
>>>
>>> I am having certain problem upgrading my Vista.
>>>
>>> About two years ago I bought Windows Vista Ultimate x32 disc to
>>> upgrade my older laptop. However, back then... Well, Vista was far
>>> from perfect back then, no SP1... So I put it in a drawer.
>>>
>>> Now I bought a new HP laptop, boasting Vista Home Premium SP1. Thanks
>>> to Service Pack 1, Vista finally reached the level I can use it, so I
>>> thought of upgrading Vista to Ultimate. Unfortunately, the Setup
>>> would not allow me to upgrade, saying the version on the laptop is
>>> newer than the DVD installation (laptop has SP1, DVD not).
>>>
>>> Now, question, what should I do? Was buying Ultimate just a waste of
>>> money? How do I go about upgrading it now? I tried to see if I can
>>> uninstall Service Pack 1, however, the OS came with SP1 built-in,
>>> thus I cannot uninstall it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Jonathan M. Boyko,
>>> TMidEast.Com.

> M> You probably wasted your money. Try for a refund. I assume that you
> M> did not pay too much for an old version of Ultimate..

Jonathan Boyko

Re: Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack
Ehlo Dominic,
Strange.... I just read you can slipstream SP1 with vLite... Am I not correct?
I am unlikely to do so, but still...

If anything, it really makes me consider moving to another platform... I
mean, this is plain ridiculous.

---
Sincerely,
Jonathan M. Boyko,
TMidEast.Com.

news:32e6aa2c7a8a8cbd1365a44f256@msnews.microsoft. com...
> Ehlo Mike Hall - MVP,
> Well, I bought it when it was still new.
>
> That's it? M$ is *that* dumb? Or is it the greed talking?
>
> Any ideas if its possible to slipstream SP1 into installation?
>
> ---
> Sincerely,
> Jonathan M. Boyko,
> TMidEast.Com.
>

> M> "Jonathan Boyko" <i601st@gmail.com> wrote in message
> M> news:32e6aa2c70698cbd131894cf954@msnews.microsoft. com...
> M>
>>> Hey, all
>>>
>>> I am having certain problem upgrading my Vista.
>>>
>>> About two years ago I bought Windows Vista Ultimate x32 disc to
>>> upgrade my older laptop. However, back then... Well, Vista was far
>>> from perfect back then, no SP1... So I put it in a drawer.
>>>
>>> Now I bought a new HP laptop, boasting Vista Home Premium SP1. Thanks
>>> to Service Pack 1, Vista finally reached the level I can use it, so I
>>> thought of upgrading Vista to Ultimate. Unfortunately, the Setup
>>> would not allow me to upgrade, saying the version on the laptop is
>>> newer than the DVD installation (laptop has SP1, DVD not).
>>>
>>> Now, question, what should I do? Was buying Ultimate just a waste of
>>> money? How do I go about upgrading it now? I tried to see if I can
>>> uninstall Service Pack 1, however, the OS came with SP1 built-in,
>>> thus I cannot uninstall it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Jonathan M. Boyko,
>>> TMidEast.Com.

> M> You probably wasted your money. Try for a refund. I assume that you
> M> did not pay too much for an old version of Ultimate..

Try here for instructions..

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...ation-dvd.html

Incidentally, the same applied to XP..

You can only upgrade to a newer version, and the SP's essentially make up a
new version..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Jonathan Boyko

Re: Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack
Ehlo Mike Hall - MVP,
Thanks, mate.

---
Sincerely,
Jonathan M. Boyko,
TMidEast.Com.

M> "Jonathan Boyko" <i601st@gmail.com> wrote in message
M> news:32e6aa2c7a8a8cbd1365a44f256@msnews.microsoft. com...
M>
>> Ehlo Mike Hall - MVP,
>> Well, I bought it when it was still new.
>> That's it? M$ is *that* dumb? Or is it the greed talking?
>>
>> Any ideas if its possible to slipstream SP1 into installation?
>>
>> ---
>> Sincerely,
>> Jonathan M. Boyko,
>> TMidEast.Com.
>> M> "Jonathan Boyko" <i601st@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> M> news:32e6aa2c70698cbd131894cf954@msnews.microsoft. com...

>> M> You probably wasted your money. Try for a refund. I assume that
>> you
>> M> did not pay too much for an old version of Ultimate..
>> M>

M> Try here for instructions..
M>
M> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...stream-install
M> ation-dvd.html
M>
M> Incidentally, the same applied to XP..
M>
M> You can only upgrade to a newer version, and the SP's essentially
M> make up a new version..

Dominic Payer

Re: Vista Ultimate would not allow upgrade due to Service Pack
You can create an SP1 installation disk for e.g. Ultimate but you can't
create a general SP1 installation disk for all Vista editions.

This isn't a true slipstream of SP1 into the RTM source.