Upgrading Vista from Beta/RC1/RC2

crossmr

Upgrading Vista from Beta/RC1/RC2
I have a couple of keys (one from the download, and one I got at an event)
for Vista Beta 2 I think. I had it installed, but no longer. I've read about
the new offer for people with these to get an upgrade license.

if I don't have them installed, how do I go about installing the "upgrade"?
Do I first install Beta 2 with my Beta key, then install whatever version of
Vista I have? Seems messy and clunky. Or can I install the final version, and
activate it first with my Beta Key, then reactivate it using my upgrade key?

Second question
What is different in the networking center of Ultimate compared to Home
Premium? According to the feature table, Premium has "easier networking" and
references the networking center which seems to come with Premium, they don't
really explain any difference there.

Rock

Re: Upgrading Vista from Beta/RC1/RC2
"crossmr" <crossmr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I have a couple of keys (one from the download, and one I got at an event)
> for Vista Beta 2 I think. I had it installed, but no longer. I've read
> about
> the new offer for people with these to get an upgrade license.
>
> if I don't have them installed, how do I go about installing the
> "upgrade"?
> Do I first install Beta 2 with my Beta key, then install whatever version
> of
> Vista I have? Seems messy and clunky. Or can I install the final version,
> and
> activate it first with my Beta Key, then reactivate it using my upgrade
> key?
>
> Second question
> What is different in the networking center of Ultimate compared to Home
> Premium? According to the feature table, Premium has "easier networking"
> and
> references the networking center which seems to come with Premium, they
> don't
> really explain any difference there.

I'm not sure what you mean by an offer to get upgrade licenses. But in any
event a full version of Vista Ultimate is needed to do an in place upgrade
of RC2. Since you don't have it installed, the above is moot. If you have
a link to this offer you mention please post it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

crossmr

Re: Upgrading Vista from Beta/RC1/RC2
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...to-expire.aspx

" because you are using a pre-release version of Windows Vista Ultimate, you
can purchase and use the Upgrade version of Windows Vista."

I'm not sure if there is an official page, it wasn't linked from the
Slashdot article.

In the meantime, can anyone actually answer either of my questions? Can I
install Windows Vista (say I get the upgrade license for Home Premium) and
first activate it with the beta key, then activate it with the upgrade key?

"crossmr" <crossmr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/wi...to-expire.aspx
>
> " because you are using a pre-release version of Windows Vista Ultimate,
> you
> can purchase and use the Upgrade version of Windows Vista."
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/26/1253224
>
> I'm not sure if there is an official page, it wasn't linked from the
> Slashdot article.
>
> In the meantime, can anyone actually answer either of my questions? Can I
> install Windows Vista (say I get the upgrade license for Home Premium) and
> first activate it with the beta key, then activate it with the upgrade
> key?
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure what you mean by an offer to get upgrade licenses. But in
>> any
>> event a full version of Vista Ultimate is needed to do an in place
>> upgrade
>> of RC2. Since you don't have it installed, the above is moot. If you
>> have
>> a link to this offer you mention please post it.

Well that's news to me. It was my understanding that none of the RC
versions were a qualifying OS for use of the upgrade. Thanks for the info.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]