Help! Unsuccessful upgrade to Vista.

sm7302

Help! Unsuccessful upgrade to Vista.

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with WinXP. Has 1GB RAM, 60 GB free on my
100GB HDD. Dell provided me with a Vista Upgrade Assistant disk and a
Vista Operating System upgrade disk. I followed the instructions to a
tee. Everything went well at first. It checked for
compatibility...temporarily deleted applications that may have problem
with the installation...copying Windows files - no problem...Gathering
files - no problem...Expanding files - no problem...Installing Features
& Updates - no problem...Completing upgrade - ran into an error at 64%
completion. Gave me a upgrade unsuccessful message and then restored to
my previous XP version. Called MS "helpless" desk and they told me to
disconnect my internet connection and retry. Did that and the same thing
happened. I'm at a lost. Does anyone have any idea what else I might
try?

--
sm7302
Rick Rogers

Re: Help! Unsuccessful upgrade to Vista.
Hi,

Clean the disk - seriously. I ran into this same problem, stalling at
various percentages, on several of these OEM upgrades. All turned out to be
problems with dirt and debris on the disk surface. Use a soft, lint-free
cloth to wipe from the center to the edge and remove any tiny bits of dust.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sm7302" <sm7302.2pmv21@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with WinXP. Has 1GB RAM, 60 GB free on my
> 100GB HDD. Dell provided me with a Vista Upgrade Assistant disk and a
> Vista Operating System upgrade disk. I followed the instructions to a
> tee. Everything went well at first. It checked for
> compatibility...temporarily deleted applications that may have problem
> with the installation...copying Windows files - no problem...Gathering
> files - no problem...Expanding files - no problem...Installing Features
> & Updates - no problem...Completing upgrade - ran into an error at 64%
> completion. Gave me a upgrade unsuccessful message and then restored to
> my previous XP version. Called MS "helpless" desk and they told me to
> disconnect my internet connection and retry. Did that and the same thing
> happened. I'm at a lost. Does anyone have any idea what else I might
> try?
>

> --
> sm7302

Jim

Re: Help! Unsuccessful upgrade to Vista.
run into the same problem, make sure that all units such as printers,
scaner, etc are disconnected with the exeption of the internet since the OS
will try to comunicate with the web - good luck, I finally gave up and
returned to XP.

Jim

"sm7302" <sm7302.2pmv21@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 with WinXP. Has 1GB RAM, 60 GB free on my
> 100GB HDD. Dell provided me with a Vista Upgrade Assistant disk and a
> Vista Operating System upgrade disk. I followed the instructions to a
> tee. Everything went well at first. It checked for
> compatibility...temporarily deleted applications that may have problem
> with the installation...copying Windows files - no problem...Gathering
> files - no problem...Expanding files - no problem...Installing Features
> & Updates - no problem...Completing upgrade - ran into an error at 64%
> completion. Gave me a upgrade unsuccessful message and then restored to
> my previous XP version. Called MS "helpless" desk and they told me to
> disconnect my internet connection and retry. Did that and the same thing
> happened. I'm at a lost. Does anyone have any idea what else I might
> try?
>

> --
> sm7302

DellCA

Re: Help! Unsuccessful upgrade to Vista.

My name is Brad and I work at Dell headquarters in Round Rock, TX. I
read your post and saw that you had an issue with upgrading to Vista.
Please contact me back at the email address below and I will help you
in any way that I can.

Brad
Dell Customer Advocate
customer_advocate@dell.com