Vista Home Premium Activation with OEM Product Key

JWayman

Vista Home Premium Activation with OEM Product Key
Unfortunately, I was impatient when ordering components to build a new system
and intentionally bought OEM WinXP MCE with the "Express Upgrade" version of
Vista, rather than wait two more weeks for Newegg to stock Vista directly; I
never really intended to install WinXP, and brought home a downloaded copy of
Vista from a colleague with an MSDN account to build my new machine. What I
failed to realize was that the "Express Upgrade" was not really a full
version, but the upgrade installation that requires WinXP to first be
installed. Therefore, after waiting over 10 weeks to get my shiny, fully
legitimate version of Vista in the mail (after finding out how to push out
activation in order to keep the computer running), I was greeted upon trying
to activate with the dreaded "This product code is not worthy of your
installed version...".

I've tried to contact MS support to describe my dilema and ask for some
slack, but every avenue I try ends with paying a $49 support fee, because I
don't have an activated version of Windows... Is there any advice out there?
Has anyone else that actually paid for their software run into the same type
of issues?
Rick Rogers

Re: Vista Home Premium Activation with OEM Product Key
Hi,

You'll have to do an in-place upgrade installation with your disk and
Product Key. It will not activate unless it's been used to upgrade with the
type of disk it comes with. OEM, retail, etc., are generally not
interchangeable versions.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"JWayman" <JWayman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Unfortunately, I was impatient when ordering components to build a new
> system
> and intentionally bought OEM WinXP MCE with the "Express Upgrade" version
> of
> Vista, rather than wait two more weeks for Newegg to stock Vista directly;
> never really intended to install WinXP, and brought home a downloaded copy
> of
> Vista from a colleague with an MSDN account to build my new machine. What
> failed to realize was that the "Express Upgrade" was not really a full
> version, but the upgrade installation that requires WinXP to first be
> installed. Therefore, after waiting over 10 weeks to get my shiny, fully
> legitimate version of Vista in the mail (after finding out how to push out
> activation in order to keep the computer running), I was greeted upon
> trying
> to activate with the dreaded "This product code is not worthy of your
> installed version...".
>
> I've tried to contact MS support to describe my dilema and ask for some
> slack, but every avenue I try ends with paying a $49 support fee, because
> don't have an activated version of Windows... Is there any advice out
> there?
> Has anyone else that actually paid for their software run into the same
> type
> of issues?

BurrWalnut

RE: Vista Home Premium Activation with OEM Product Key
You can legitimately do a clean install using an upgrade DVD, follow the
instructions carefully here
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp