Activation Error: 0xC004F061

Paul

Activation Error: 0xC004F061
I am having a similar problem as another user has explained on the forum with
this code. I upgraded to Windows Vista Home Basic from Windows 2000
Professional (OEM) because the 2000 product was becoming unusable. When I
try to activate I am getting the code 0xC004F061, the Software Licensing
System has determined that this specified product key can only be used for
upgrading, not for clean installations.

When I did the install it forced me to do a clean install and would not let
me enter the product key. After hours and hours of work I finally have it
installed, found drivers or workarounds, got my wireless connection connected
again and it is operating much better than my old operating system, albeit
quite slowly. The software is not offering me the option of a phone number
to activate the software and I can't find one on the Microsoft site.

I don't understand why it cannot validate since both sets of software were
legally purchased and there is a windows.old folder that has the info from
the old operating system on the computer.

Re-installing Windows 2000 (to get validation) is not an acceptable
alternative. There are 4 service packs to download and then I will probably
run into the same problem again of Vista not allowing the upgrade.

My hardware is older but meets the requirements and I should be able to do
the upgrade. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Rick Rogers

Re: Activation Error: 0xC004F061
Hi,

The upgrade has to be started from within a qualifying product. Win2000
cannot be upgraded to Vista Home Premium, only Business or Ultimate, which
is why you had to use the custom install and could not enter a product key.
Insert your Vista DVD, start an in-place upgrade to the current installation
and you should be able to enter the Product Key now. You will have to
complete the reinstall, then you should be able to activate.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org