NTLDR error message

CJ

NTLDR error message
Hello.
First time here, I have a dell desktop that needed a new hard drive. I
purchased a 200G Maxtor and Vista o/s, I configured the HD with the CD that
came with it but after rebooting the pc to start vista installation I get
the NTLDR is missing message, what do I need to do at this point?
JimR

Re: NTLDR error message
"CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> First time here, I have a dell desktop that needed a new hard drive. I
> purchased a 200G Maxtor and Vista o/s, I configured the HD with the CD
> that
> came with it but after rebooting the pc to start vista installation I get
> the NTLDR is missing message, what do I need to do at this point?

Boot to BIOS setup ( usually the delete or F2 key right after power on ),
set the dvd drive to first boot device, then boot from the Vista dvd.

--
Jim

AMD

Re: NTLDR error message
"JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote in message
> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello.
>> First time here, I have a dell desktop that needed a new hard drive. I
>> purchased a 200G Maxtor and Vista o/s, I configured the HD with the CD
>> that
>> came with it but after rebooting the pc to start vista installation I get
>> the NTLDR is missing message, what do I need to do at this point?

> Boot to BIOS setup ( usually the delete or F2 key right after power on ),
> set the dvd drive to first boot device, then boot from the Vista dvd.
>
> --
> Jim

Actually it should be floppy/dvdrw drive/hard drive.

CJ

Re: NTLDR error message

"JimR" wrote:

> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello.
> > First time here, I have a dell desktop that needed a new hard drive. I
> > purchased a 200G Maxtor and Vista o/s, I configured the HD with the CD
> > that
> > came with it but after rebooting the pc to start vista installation I get
> > the NTLDR is missing message, what do I need to do at this point?

> Boot to BIOS setup ( usually the delete or F2 key right after power on ),
> set the dvd drive to first boot device, then boot from the Vista dvd.
>
> --
> Jim
> Thank you very much Jim, yes I did point the BIOS to boot from the dvd drive first and every thing is good now. What a prompt response I really appreciate it ,I love how vista looks, and I hope it works as good as it looks. Thanks again

John Barnes

Re: NTLDR error message
Why ????????

> "JimR" wrote:
>
>> "CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello.
>> > First time here, I have a dell desktop that needed a new hard drive. I
>> > purchased a 200G Maxtor and Vista o/s, I configured the HD with the CD
>> > that
>> > came with it but after rebooting the pc to start vista installation I
>> > get
>> > the NTLDR is missing message, what do I need to do at this point?

>> Boot to BIOS setup ( usually the delete or F2 key right after power on ),
>> set the dvd drive to first boot device, then boot from the Vista dvd.
>>
>> --
>> Jim
>> Thank you very much Jim, yes I did point the BIOS to boot from the dvd
>> drive first and every thing is good now. What a prompt response I really
>> appreciate it ,I love how vista looks, and I hope it works as good as it
>> looks. Thanks again

Glad we could help. Enjoy

--
Jim

Don

Re: NTLDR error message
CJ wrote:
> Hello.
> First time here, I have a dell desktop that needed a new hard drive. I
> purchased a 200G Maxtor and Vista o/s, I configured the HD with the CD that
> came with it...

I've never understood why a HD need to be configured. I always just
connect the drive and start partitioning/formatting/using it, and so far
everything has 'just worked'. What am I missing?

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: NTLDR error message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:52:11 -0700, "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net>

>Why ????????

Because that's the traditional default, and defaults are Always Right.

Because otherwise, you'd only be able to accidentally boot malware off
disks in the CD or DVD drive, instead of being able to boot them off
diskette as well. The default assures maximum boot malware access.

On a working PC, I'd boot HD before anything else, and I wouldn't
allow anything else to boot. If I needed to tshoot, I'd first change
boot device order to facilitate this. Anyone too dumb to do that,
would not be welcome to tshoot my PC ("Bozo filter" effect).

>"AMD" <s@s.com> wrote in message
>> "JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote in message

>>> Boot to BIOS setup ( usually the delete or F2 key right after power on ),
>>> set the dvd drive to first boot device, then boot from the Vista dvd.

>> Actually it should be floppy/dvdrw drive/hard drive.

>-- Risk Management is the clue that asks:

"Why do I keep open buckets of petrol next to all the
ashtrays in the lounge, when I don't even have a car?"
>----------------------- ------ ---- --- -- - - - -

John Barnes

Re: NTLDR error message
What century did you come from. Many computers now don't come with floppies
and wasting the time searching for a floppy except when you are installing a
system or doing a BIOS update is wasted boot time. Most modern BIOS's do
not have the default and most allow boot time selection of device when
desired.

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:bub433l9k0nmblb38hb1jcfs833l92u3cv@4ax.com...

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 09:17:37 -0700, "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net>

>What century did you come from.

20th.

>Many computers now don't come with floppies and wasting the
>time searching for a floppy except when you are installing a system
>or doing a BIOS update is wasted boot time.

I agree; that's why I disable diskette seek and set HD first in the
boot order - but the main reason is greater safety.

We are seeing a return to "infecting disks", with some malware
infecting USB sticks in particular.

So whereas in the 20th century, you might leave an infected diskette
in the drive and boot yourself into Stoned or One-Half, in the 21st
century you might leave a USB stick plugged in and do much the same.

>Most modern BIOS's do not have the default

HD's not usually the default first boot, because that locks newbies
out of booting off anything else.

>and most allow boot time selection of device when desired.

Yes, that's another possible setting; it used to be more common on
laptops, and it's not ubiquitous yet. Also, just as the hot keys to
get into BIOS aren't consistent (Del, F2, F1, F10...) so it is with
the keys to bring up the selection menu (F12, F11..)

What's interesting is that the humble bootable diskette image lives
on, as an encapsulated standard within post-diskette boot devices.

IRC is just multiplayer notepad.