I GIVE UP ON VISTA! (for now anyway)

Poormo

I GIVE UP ON VISTA! (for now anyway)
After deciding to take the plunge and upgrade to Vista I have to say it has
been less than a pleasant experience. After hearing all the horror stories
about upgrading, I figured that most were newbies to upgrades and didn't know
what they were doing. I've been fiddling with Windows and upgrades since the
x286 release so I shouldn't have any problems. I've also built almost all of
my PCs as well so I'm very familiar with both the hardware and software
aspects. Before I started the upgrade I ran the advisor, several times
actually, and made the necessary hardware changes. I checked to make sure
that updates were available for all my programs and drivers and for the few
that weren't I would go ahead and buy the new versions. I'm now ready! From
the time that I put the DVD in all seemed to go smoothly, other than entering
in a small amount of info it was an uneventful install with no error
messages. It took maybe 20 minutes! The system rebooted and I was looking at
the Vista desktop. Yeah! Looking at all the new stuff I started poking around
and when I tried to move a window the screen went blank and then returned
with an error something to the effect of "display driver stopped responding
and then was restored". I must have forgotten to update the nVidia driver so
I do that. After restart it does again and again. Maybe the Certified for
Vista video card is bad so I go buy a new PCIe ATI card. EXACT SAME PROBLEM!
I could use the computer for about 10-30 minutes before it starts but once it
does it just keeps happening. I was willing to tolerate this until a patch
was created until this morning. For whatever reason the security features
have gone bezerk! I can no longer go to microsofts web site, it tells me
there is a problem with my internet provider, but I have no problem getting
to Best Buy or ATI's and many others. I understand that security was a big
selling point but OMG! At least make it easy for ME to manage, I can't figure
out how to turn stuff off and when I do it tells me I can't do that and won't
permit me to do certain things. So at this point I give up. I have removed
Vista and gone back to XP Pro. I will keep the box on the shelf collecting
dust or maybe use it for a big paperweight until some of the "issues" can get
worked out. I will say I did like the speed of the install, the look of Aero
and the flip 3D was neat but not worth the hassle of everything else. For
those of you who have upgraded successfully, kudos to you. Unfortunately I
have neither the time nor the inclination to continue with this when XP works
just fine. I will miss flip though.
Bob

Re: I GIVE UP ON VISTA! (for now anyway)
Can I just say that since I went back to Windows XP Pro over the weekend
that I have been very, very, very happy ? Well I just said it. Maybe I will
try again someday, but my system is much, much happier with XP Pro on it.
And my system is not old or not capable of running Vista. I am running an
Intel Core Duo with 4 GB of ram and a 256 mb graphics card. XP Pro flies on
this while Vista Premium was noticeably slow.

Bob

xiowan

RE: I GIVE UP ON VISTA! (for now anyway)
Hi Poormo:
I'm sorry to hear you had so many problems. I have a pc with XP and one
with Vista and I don't know why, but I find myself using the Vista pc almost
exclusively now even though it isn't all that big an upgrade over XP.
Perhaps if you posted your m-board model # & it's current bios version, your
cpu model, your graphics card model & driver version, your ram memory type &
size, hard drive info & if in RAID and list the software you are using
someone could help you narrow down the problem you are having with Vista.
Once you get it running right I think you would eventually really like it.
I've come to believe that Vista is actually very sound and the cause of
virtually all the problems can be traced to driver or software
incompatibility. There aren't many problems that the helpful volunteers in
here can't solve with enough info.

xiowan...........in tucson

"Poormo" wrote:

> After deciding to take the plunge and upgrade to Vista I have to say it has
> been less than a pleasant experience. After hearing all the horror stories
> about upgrading, I figured that most were newbies to upgrades and didn't know
> what they were doing. I've been fiddling with Windows and upgrades since the
> x286 release so I shouldn't have any problems. I've also built almost all of
> my PCs as well so I'm very familiar with both the hardware and software
> aspects. Before I started the upgrade I ran the advisor, several times
> actually, and made the necessary hardware changes. I checked to make sure
> that updates were available for all my programs and drivers and for the few
> that weren't I would go ahead and buy the new versions. I'm now ready! From
> the time that I put the DVD in all seemed to go smoothly, other than entering
> in a small amount of info it was an uneventful install with no error
> messages. It took maybe 20 minutes! The system rebooted and I was looking at
> the Vista desktop. Yeah! Looking at all the new stuff I started poking around
> and when I tried to move a window the screen went blank and then returned
> with an error something to the effect of "display driver stopped responding
> and then was restored". I must have forgotten to update the nVidia driver so
> I do that. After restart it does again and again. Maybe the Certified for
> Vista video card is bad so I go buy a new PCIe ATI card. EXACT SAME PROBLEM!
> I could use the computer for about 10-30 minutes before it starts but once it
> does it just keeps happening. I was willing to tolerate this until a patch
> was created until this morning. For whatever reason the security features
> have gone bezerk! I can no longer go to microsofts web site, it tells me
> there is a problem with my internet provider, but I have no problem getting
> to Best Buy or ATI's and many others. I understand that security was a big
> selling point but OMG! At least make it easy for ME to manage, I can't figure
> out how to turn stuff off and when I do it tells me I can't do that and won't
> permit me to do certain things. So at this point I give up. I have removed
> Vista and gone back to XP Pro. I will keep the box on the shelf collecting
> dust or maybe use it for a big paperweight until some of the "issues" can get
> worked out. I will say I did like the speed of the install, the look of Aero
> and the flip 3D was neat but not worth the hassle of everything else. For
> those of you who have upgraded successfully, kudos to you. Unfortunately I
> have neither the time nor the inclination to continue with this when XP works
> just fine. I will miss flip though.

John Barnes

Re: I GIVE UP ON VISTA! (for now anyway)
Must be a slow Core Duo

> Must be a slow Core Duo

Must be John. NOT.

Bob

Todd Marks

RE: I GIVE UP ON VISTA! (for now anyway)
I am sorry to hear that you are having so many issues. I too had many issues
just trying to get the damn thing installed, and I finally used the
workaround to do a clean install with my upgrade. The install went smoothly,
and I couldn't be more pleased with the results! I haven't noticed a
slowdown in performance, and I am not running a blazing fast machine by no
means (Pentium D 2.8 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, Radeon x600 (128MB onboard), and 300GB of
storage space among 3 HDD's (1 internal, 2 external). Yeah, some of my
software and games won't run anymore (even in compatibility mode), but I
should've figured that beforehand. I hope you do give it a try in the future
when the support becomes a little more available. I'm glad I didn't give up
on it! I sure was ready to!

Todd

"Poormo" wrote:

> After deciding to take the plunge and upgrade to Vista I have to say it has
> been less than a pleasant experience. After hearing all the horror stories
> about upgrading, I figured that most were newbies to upgrades and didn't know
> what they were doing. I've been fiddling with Windows and upgrades since the
> x286 release so I shouldn't have any problems. I've also built almost all of
> my PCs as well so I'm very familiar with both the hardware and software
> aspects. Before I started the upgrade I ran the advisor, several times
> actually, and made the necessary hardware changes. I checked to make sure
> that updates were available for all my programs and drivers and for the few
> that weren't I would go ahead and buy the new versions. I'm now ready! From
> the time that I put the DVD in all seemed to go smoothly, other than entering
> in a small amount of info it was an uneventful install with no error
> messages. It took maybe 20 minutes! The system rebooted and I was looking at
> the Vista desktop. Yeah! Looking at all the new stuff I started poking around
> and when I tried to move a window the screen went blank and then returned
> with an error something to the effect of "display driver stopped responding
> and then was restored". I must have forgotten to update the nVidia driver so
> I do that. After restart it does again and again. Maybe the Certified for
> Vista video card is bad so I go buy a new PCIe ATI card. EXACT SAME PROBLEM!
> I could use the computer for about 10-30 minutes before it starts but once it
> does it just keeps happening. I was willing to tolerate this until a patch
> was created until this morning. For whatever reason the security features
> have gone bezerk! I can no longer go to microsofts web site, it tells me
> there is a problem with my internet provider, but I have no problem getting
> to Best Buy or ATI's and many others. I understand that security was a big
> selling point but OMG! At least make it easy for ME to manage, I can't figure
> out how to turn stuff off and when I do it tells me I can't do that and won't
> permit me to do certain things. So at this point I give up. I have removed
> Vista and gone back to XP Pro. I will keep the box on the shelf collecting
> dust or maybe use it for a big paperweight until some of the "issues" can get
> worked out. I will say I did like the speed of the install, the look of Aero
> and the flip 3D was neat but not worth the hassle of everything else. For
> those of you who have upgraded successfully, kudos to you. Unfortunately I
> have neither the time nor the inclination to continue with this when XP works
> just fine. I will miss flip though.

John Barnes

Re: I GIVE UP ON VISTA! (for now anyway)
Maybe the t2700 would be borderline, but Vista requires around a clock speed
of around 2500k to be useful for multi tasking .

> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Must be a slow Core Duo
>>

> Must be John. NOT.
>
> Bob

Boomer

> Maybe the t2700 would be borderline, but Vista requires around a clock
> speed of around 2500k to be useful for multi tasking .
>
> "Bob" <*nospam*@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>>> Must be a slow Core Duo
>>>

>> Must be John. NOT.
>>
>> Bob

If Vista seems slow, then try going to power settings and set it to high
performance.

John Barnes

Re: I GIVE UP ON VISTA! (for now anyway)
Not slow since I upgraded from a 3500+ to a 5200+. Just know the CPU speed
is more important than more memory after you hit 2 gig. With my use of the
computer I don't want the high performance settings, thank you just the
same. Good for gaming, sucks for business.

"Boomer" <Boomerlake@aol.com> wrote in message

> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>> Maybe the t2700 would be borderline, but Vista requires around a clock
>> speed of around 2500k to be useful for multi tasking .
>>
>> "Bob" <*nospam*@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "John Barnes" <jbarnes@email.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Must be John. NOT.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

> If Vista seems slow, then try going to power settings and set it to high
> performance.

disatified to the utmost

RE: I GIVE UP ON VISTA! (for now anyway)
So true.
XP is fine. this is crap