Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

I have a new computer that has a Japanese version of Windows Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2007
Willie
 

Posts: n/a
I have a new computer that has a Japanese version of Windows Vista
Help!! I need an English extension of my Japanese windoes Vista - is there
such a thing? Can I trade (bah ha ha ha...yep...).

If anyone can tell me how I can get this baby running in English I'd be
greatful!!


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2007
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I have a new computer that has a Japanese version of Windows Vista
Hi Willie--

If you can develop one you're in for some megabucks. There isn't. You'll
need to buy an English version to get that baby running in English. The
little you can do with languages without getting a full version of the
language that is your main focus is rather trivial.


As far as a trade, I'm sure it might be possible but you'd have to find
someone willing to trade an English version for a Japanese version.

Good luck,

CH


"Willie" <Willie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:09E2B86C-B9CC-406A-BF07-27C9552D1AA8@microsoft.com...
> Help!! I need an English extension of my Japanese windoes Vista - is there
> such a thing? Can I trade (bah ha ha ha...yep...).
>
> If anyone can tell me how I can get this baby running in English I'd be
> greatful!!
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2007
koze
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I have a new computer that has a Japanese version of Windows Vista
If it's Vista Ultimate there are language files available for it, others
versions not.
Ko

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> schreef in bericht
news:uemIKg1hHHA.4520@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hi Willie--
>
> If you can develop one you're in for some megabucks. There isn't. You'll
> need to buy an English version to get that baby running in English. The
> little you can do with languages without getting a full version of the
> language that is your main focus is rather trivial.
>
>
> As far as a trade, I'm sure it might be possible but you'd have to find
> someone willing to trade an English version for a Japanese version.
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
>
>
> "Willie" <Willie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:09E2B86C-B9CC-406A-BF07-27C9552D1AA8@microsoft.com...
>> Help!! I need an English extension of my Japanese windoes Vista - is
>> there
>> such a thing? Can I trade (bah ha ha ha...yep...).
>>
>> If anyone can tell me how I can get this baby running in English I'd be
>> greatful!!
>>
>>

>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2007
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I have a new computer that has a Japanese version of Windows Vista
Hi Ko--

Good to see you in here some. You're right about Ultimate having MUI
Language files and I should have made this distinction--it also seems that
Vista enterprise has them as well. As I understand it there are two types:
MUI and LIP and both seem to have partial translations in different ways.
LIP language files are available for all editions of Vista.

MUI are more extensive and according to the link below:

• "Windows Vista Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI).? Windows Vista MUIs
provide a translated version of most of the user interface. MUIs require a
license to be used and are only available with Windows Vista Ultimate and
Windows Vista Enterprise.

• Windows Vista Language Interface Pack (LIP).? Windows Vista LIPs provide a
translated version of the most widely used areas of the user interface. LIPs
are freely available for download on the Microsoft website, and most LIPs
can be installed and used on any edition of Windows Vista. Because not all
of the user interface is translated, LIPs require at least one parent
language. The parts of the user interface that are not translated into the
LIP language are displayed in the parent language. When you download a LIP,
you are given the parent language requirements for that language. The parent
language pack needs to be installed before the LIP can be installed."

I haven't seen them or worked with them, so I'm not qualified to say how
complete they are. Maybe someone who has can elaborate.

How do I get additional language files?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b5ecc1033.mspx

CH


"koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:%236zCsP3hHHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> If it's Vista Ultimate there are language files available for it, others
> versions not.
> Ko
>
> "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> schreef in bericht
> news:uemIKg1hHHA.4520@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Willie--
>>
>> If you can develop one you're in for some megabucks. There isn't. You'll
>> need to buy an English version to get that baby running in English. The
>> little you can do with languages without getting a full version of the
>> language that is your main focus is rather trivial.
>>
>>
>> As far as a trade, I'm sure it might be possible but you'd have to find
>> someone willing to trade an English version for a Japanese version.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> CH
>>
>>
>> "Willie" <Willie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:09E2B86C-B9CC-406A-BF07-27C9552D1AA8@microsoft.com...
>>> Help!! I need an English extension of my Japanese windoes Vista - is
>>> there
>>> such a thing? Can I trade (bah ha ha ha...yep...).
>>>
>>> If anyone can tell me how I can get this baby running in English I'd be
>>> greatful!!
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2007
Chad Harris
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I have a new computer that has a Japanese version of Windows Vista
Willie--

As Ko corrected me there are two types of language files--and both are
partial but either may be what you're looking for. MUI available only in
Vista Ultimate and Enterprise are the most extensive--but LIP are available
for any edition of Vista. I'm not sure which Vista you have--but you may
want to look into these:

How do I get additional language files?
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b5ecc1033.mspx

If you have Enterprise or Ultimate you can look into MUI. But even if you
don't, you can download the LIP files, and see if they will do the job for
you. LOL I don't know how fluent you might be in Japanese either.

LIP files can be downloaded from here:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=66923

http://www.microsoft.com/industry/go...e/default.aspx

""Because not all of the user interface is translated, LIPs require at least
one parent language. The parts of the user interface that are not translated
into the LIP language are displayed in the parent language. When you
download a LIP, you are given the parent language requirements for that
language. The parent language pack needs to be installed before the LIP can
be installed."

If you do try either of them, let us know how they work for you.

Good luck,

CH

"Willie" <Willie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:09E2B86C-B9CC-406A-BF07-27C9552D1AA8@microsoft.com...
> Help!! I need an English extension of my Japanese windoes Vista - is there
> such a thing? Can I trade (bah ha ha ha...yep...).
>
> If anyone can tell me how I can get this baby running in English I'd be
> greatful!!
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2007
Willie
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I have a new computer that has a Japanese version of Windows V
Hi Chad,

Thanks so much for putting in the time to reply (and Ko too!). I took a look
at the LIP page, but there was no English - alas!!! So it looks like I'll
have to upgrade dannabbit - my frustration is growing by the minute, and my
old XP is starting to look REALLY tempting!

Thanks again!
Willie



"Chad Harris" wrote:

> Willie--
>
> As Ko corrected me there are two types of language files--and both are
> partial but either may be what you're looking for. MUI available only in
> Vista Ultimate and Enterprise are the most extensive--but LIP are available
> for any edition of Vista. I'm not sure which Vista you have--but you may
> want to look into these:
>
> How do I get additional language files?
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b5ecc1033.mspx
>
> If you have Enterprise or Ultimate you can look into MUI. But even if you
> don't, you can download the LIP files, and see if they will do the job for
> you. LOL I don't know how fluent you might be in Japanese either.
>
> LIP files can be downloaded from here:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=66923
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/industry/go...e/default.aspx
>
> ""Because not all of the user interface is translated, LIPs require at least
> one parent language. The parts of the user interface that are not translated
> into the LIP language are displayed in the parent language. When you
> download a LIP, you are given the parent language requirements for that
> language. The parent language pack needs to be installed before the LIP can
> be installed."
>
> If you do try either of them, let us know how they work for you.
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
>
> "Willie" <Willie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:09E2B86C-B9CC-406A-BF07-27C9552D1AA8@microsoft.com...
> > Help!! I need an English extension of my Japanese windoes Vista - is there
> > such a thing? Can I trade (bah ha ha ha...yep...).
> >
> > If anyone can tell me how I can get this baby running in English I'd be
> > greatful!!
> >
> >

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2007
koze
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I have a new computer that has a Japanese version of Windows V
With Ultimate (or Enterprise) you can find them on the Windows Update site
for Vista.
If not a upgrade may be the only answer. Or indeed back to XP for now.

Ko.

"Willie" <Willie@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
news:0401CD72-EB55-4250-BC21-0C06FAAE0AA6@microsoft.com...
> Hi Chad,
>
> Thanks so much for putting in the time to reply (and Ko too!). I took a
> look
> at the LIP page, but there was no English - alas!!! So it looks like I'll
> have to upgrade dannabbit - my frustration is growing by the minute, and
> my
> old XP is starting to look REALLY tempting!
>
> Thanks again!
> Willie
>
>
>
> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> Willie--
>>
>> As Ko corrected me there are two types of language files--and both are
>> partial but either may be what you're looking for. MUI available only in
>> Vista Ultimate and Enterprise are the most extensive--but LIP are
>> available
>> for any edition of Vista. I'm not sure which Vista you have--but you may
>> want to look into these:
>>
>> How do I get additional language files?
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b5ecc1033.mspx
>>
>> If you have Enterprise or Ultimate you can look into MUI. But even if
>> you
>> don't, you can download the LIP files, and see if they will do the job
>> for
>> you. LOL I don't know how fluent you might be in Japanese either.
>>
>> LIP files can be downloaded from here:
>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=66923
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/industry/go...e/default.aspx
>>
>> ""Because not all of the user interface is translated, LIPs require at
>> least
>> one parent language. The parts of the user interface that are not
>> translated
>> into the LIP language are displayed in the parent language. When you
>> download a LIP, you are given the parent language requirements for that
>> language. The parent language pack needs to be installed before the LIP
>> can
>> be installed."
>>
>> If you do try either of them, let us know how they work for you.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> CH
>>
>> "Willie" <Willie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:09E2B86C-B9CC-406A-BF07-27C9552D1AA8@microsoft.com...
>> > Help!! I need an English extension of my Japanese windoes Vista - is
>> > there
>> > such a thing? Can I trade (bah ha ha ha...yep...).
>> >
>> > If anyone can tell me how I can get this baby running in English I'd be
>> > greatful!!
>> >
>> >

>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2007
ern
 

Posts: n/a
Re: I have a new computer that has a Japanese version of Windows V
I have the same problem as Willie

Bought a computer in Japan with Windows Vista (Basic) already installed.
It's in Japanese and I want English. MUI packs are not available to VIsta
Basic and there is no English LIP pack (Why not???).

As far as I have gathered from my reading is I will have to buy an English
version if I want to change my display language to English. Would an Vista
upgrade be sufficient or would I have to buy a full version of Vista?


"koze" wrote:

> With Ultimate (or Enterprise) you can find them on the Windows Update site
> for Vista.
> If not a upgrade may be the only answer. Or indeed back to XP for now.
>
> Ko.
>
> "Willie" <Willie@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> news:0401CD72-EB55-4250-BC21-0C06FAAE0AA6@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Chad,
> >
> > Thanks so much for putting in the time to reply (and Ko too!). I took a
> > look
> > at the LIP page, but there was no English - alas!!! So it looks like I'll
> > have to upgrade dannabbit - my frustration is growing by the minute, and
> > my
> > old XP is starting to look REALLY tempting!
> >
> > Thanks again!
> > Willie
> >
> >
> >
> > "Chad Harris" wrote:
> >
> >> Willie--
> >>
> >> As Ko corrected me there are two types of language files--and both are
> >> partial but either may be what you're looking for. MUI available only in
> >> Vista Ultimate and Enterprise are the most extensive--but LIP are
> >> available
> >> for any edition of Vista. I'm not sure which Vista you have--but you may
> >> want to look into these:
> >>
> >> How do I get additional language files?
> >> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b5ecc1033.mspx
> >>
> >> If you have Enterprise or Ultimate you can look into MUI. But even if
> >> you
> >> don't, you can download the LIP files, and see if they will do the job
> >> for
> >> you. LOL I don't know how fluent you might be in Japanese either.
> >>
> >> LIP files can be downloaded from here:
> >> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=66923
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/industry/go...e/default.aspx
> >>
> >> ""Because not all of the user interface is translated, LIPs require at
> >> least
> >> one parent language. The parts of the user interface that are not
> >> translated
> >> into the LIP language are displayed in the parent language. When you
> >> download a LIP, you are given the parent language requirements for that
> >> language. The parent language pack needs to be installed before the LIP
> >> can
> >> be installed."
> >>
> >> If you do try either of them, let us know how they work for you.
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> CH
> >>
> >> "Willie" <Willie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:09E2B86C-B9CC-406A-BF07-27C9552D1AA8@microsoft.com...
> >> > Help!! I need an English extension of my Japanese windoes Vista - is
> >> > there
> >> > such a thing? Can I trade (bah ha ha ha...yep...).
> >> >
> >> > If anyone can tell me how I can get this baby running in English I'd be
> >> > greatful!!
> >> >
> >> >
> >>
> >>

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Placed an Order for a New Gateway Computer, a Windows Vista Ready Computer. microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 17 03-08-2007 21:48
Languages available on Japanese Vista =?Utf-8?B?UHJhbW9kSw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-03-2007 14:58
US English SRE in Japanese Vista jake.burlingham@gmail.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-01-2007 03:08
how do I know which version of windows vista my computer can run? =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBG?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 10 02-13-2007 00:03




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:48.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120