Problem Adding New Drive After Installation

Wayneb

Problem Adding New Drive After Installation
Hi

I have Vista installed on a SATA Raid, the installation went well and
everything is working as planned. However when I try to add a new SATA drive
(not in the RAID array) my BIOS sets this new drive as the default one, and
so unable to boot into Vista.

My problem comes in the fact that my BIOS cannot see the RAID drives and so
defaults the only other drive to the bootable default.

Is there any way I can create a boot manager on this new drive to point to
the RAID drives and the Vista installation?

Regards

andy

Re: Problem Adding New Drive After Installation
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 05:20:01 -0700, Wayneb
<Wayneb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have Vista installed on a SATA Raid, the installation went well and
>everything is working as planned. However when I try to add a new SATA drive
>(not in the RAID array) my BIOS sets this new drive as the default one, and
>so unable to boot into Vista.
>
>My problem comes in the fact that my BIOS cannot see the RAID drives and so
>defaults the only other drive to the bootable default.

The BIOS has to be able to detect the RAID drive. Otherwise you
wouldn't have been able to install and boot Vista. So what are you
claiming? That when the new SATA drive is installed, the BIOS no
longer has the capability to detect the RAID drive?

>Is there any way I can create a boot manager on this new drive to point to
>the RAID drives and the Vista installation?
>
>Regards

xiowan

Re: Problem Adding New Drive After Installation
Hi andy:
Have you tried going into your bios and moving the raid drives to the top
of the boot order? If I remember right, when I installed the pre-release
vista on one of my pcs and added a hard drive it showed up in the bios as the
first choice to boot from and of course had no O.S. and couldn't. Might take
a look and see if your raid drives got moved down in the boot order.

xiowan..........in tucson

"andy" wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 05:20:01 -0700, Wayneb
> <Wayneb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I have Vista installed on a SATA Raid, the installation went well and
> >everything is working as planned. However when I try to add a new SATA drive
> >(not in the RAID array) my BIOS sets this new drive as the default one, and
> >so unable to boot into Vista.
> >
> >My problem comes in the fact that my BIOS cannot see the RAID drives and so
> >defaults the only other drive to the bootable default.

> The BIOS has to be able to detect the RAID drive. Otherwise you
> wouldn't have been able to install and boot Vista. So what are you
> claiming? That when the new SATA drive is installed, the BIOS no
> longer has the capability to detect the RAID drive?
>

> >Is there any way I can create a boot manager on this new drive to point to
> >the RAID drives and the Vista installation?
> >
> >Regards

xiowan

RE: Problem Adding New Drive After Installation
Hi Wayneb:
I posted a suggestion for you and addressed it to andy by accident (my
name is andy too and I guess my mind slipped). Hope that the suggestion
helps you.

xiowan..........in tucson

"Wayneb" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have Vista installed on a SATA Raid, the installation went well and
> everything is working as planned. However when I try to add a new SATA drive
> (not in the RAID array) my BIOS sets this new drive as the default one, and
> so unable to boot into Vista.
>
> My problem comes in the fact that my BIOS cannot see the RAID drives and so
> defaults the only other drive to the bootable default.
>
> Is there any way I can create a boot manager on this new drive to point to
> the RAID drives and the Vista installation?
>
> Regards

Wayneb

Re: Problem Adding New Drive After Installation
The problem is related to the bios, when the raid controller is enabled and a
raid array installed the bios no longer lists the array disks so I cannot set
boot order.

When it is just the array disks connected the on board raid controller
detects the array and boots up into Vista.

When another disk is added the bios detects this drive and sets it as the
only boot up option overriding the raid controller. Thus when booting up the
third disk is set as boot disk which obviously won't work becuase there is no
operating system installed.

The only way round the problem that I can see is to somehow copy the boot
manager onto the third disk and 'poin' it to the raid array. That esentially
is the problem that I am trying to resolve.

"andy" wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 05:20:01 -0700, Wayneb
> <Wayneb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I have Vista installed on a SATA Raid, the installation went well and
> >everything is working as planned. However when I try to add a new SATA drive
> >(not in the RAID array) my BIOS sets this new drive as the default one, and
> >so unable to boot into Vista.
> >
> >My problem comes in the fact that my BIOS cannot see the RAID drives and so
> >defaults the only other drive to the bootable default.

> The BIOS has to be able to detect the RAID drive. Otherwise you
> wouldn't have been able to install and boot Vista. So what are you
> claiming? That when the new SATA drive is installed, the BIOS no
> longer has the capability to detect the RAID drive?
>

> >Is there any way I can create a boot manager on this new drive to point to
> >the RAID drives and the Vista installation?
> >
> >Regards

andy

Re: Problem Adding New Drive After Installation
The BIOS should have two settings affecting boot order.
One is the boot sequence that determines floppy, CDROMl, hard drive,
USB, etc. order.
The other setting (Hard Disk Boot Priority or Hard Disk Drives)
determines which disk is booted. This is the setting that should show
all the drives. and you move the drive you want to boot from to the
top of the list.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 01:50:03 -0700, Wayneb