i need help!!!!!! please

gavin_996

i need help!!!!!! please
OK
So I had a virus on my computer after i had upgraded my computer to vista i
bought the upgrade version and it wont let me install it from the disk
because i had to format my drive and i no longer have a os so i cant install
it but my mom has windows xp so can i install it to my computer without
activating it and then in stall vista. Please help.

Rock

Re: i need help!!!!!! please
"gavin_996" <gavin_996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> So I had a virus on my computer after i had upgraded my computer to vista
> bought the upgrade version and it wont let me install it from the disk
> because i had to format my drive and i no longer have a os so i cant
> install
> it but my mom has windows xp so can i install it to my computer without
> activating it and then in stall vista. Please help.

To qualify to use an upgrade version of Vista, you need to own a copy of a
qualifying OS, so do you own one? Where is the copy that was on your
system?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: i need help!!!!!! please
"gavin_996" <gavin_996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> OK
> So I had a virus on my computer after i had upgraded my computer to vista
> bought the upgrade version and it wont let me install it from the disk
> because i had to format my drive and i no longer have a os so i cant
> install
> it but my mom has windows xp so can i install it to my computer without
> activating it and then in stall vista. Please help.

Meant to add this to the other reply

Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

gavin_996

Re: i need help!!!!!! please

"Rock" wrote:

> "gavin_996" <gavin_996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> > So I had a virus on my computer after i had upgraded my computer to vista
> > bought the upgrade version and it wont let me install it from the disk
> > because i had to format my drive and i no longer have a os so i cant
> > install
> > it but my mom has windows xp so can i install it to my computer without
> > activating it and then in stall vista. Please help.

> To qualify to use an upgrade version of Vista, you need to own a copy of a
> qualifying OS, so do you own one? Where is the copy that was on your
> system?
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
>
> when i installed vista the first time it erased it

Rock

Re: i need help!!!!!! please
"gavin_996" <gavin996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "gavin_996" <gavin_996@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > So I had a virus on my computer after i had upgraded my computer to
>> > vista
>> > bought the upgrade version and it wont let me install it from the disk
>> > because i had to format my drive and i no longer have a os so i cant
>> > install
>> > it but my mom has windows xp so can i install it to my computer without
>> > activating it and then in stall vista. Please help.

>> To qualify to use an upgrade version of Vista, you need to own a copy of
>> qualifying OS, so do you own one? Where is the copy that was on your
>> system?

>> when i installed vista the first time it erased it

But you still have a license for XP, right? Something came with the
computer.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rick Rogers

Re: i need help!!!!!! please
Hi,

Boot with the upgrade DVD, start the installer, do not enter your product
key. Select the correct version for your Product Key (this is important, do
not select a different version). Run setup. Once completed, now you get to
reinstall as an upgrade, this time using your purchased Product Key.
Basically you get to do it twice. Try not to get infected this time, and if
you do, learn how to clean it without doing things the hard way.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org