Vista Won't Startup or install

DarkestSin

Vista Won't Startup or install
okay so i bought my new computer about a month ago. It came ready setup with
vista premium. It was all working fine. Startinf up, shutting down, going
into sleep mode. But then one day i started having problems. It would come
out of sleep. it would freeze on the loading (microsoft windows screen with
the green bars crossing at the bottom) or i'd get a black screen right after
the loading one. usually my windows would start there but it just sat ont he
black screen. i could get it to work if i restarted a few times. Then two
days ago I had to upgrade my computer and virus software (norton internet
security 2007) so i restarted it and i havent been able to start it since. it
just lags on the black screen.

so i tried reinstalling vista. and it goes through all the install then
freezes... as in no progress on completeing the install. I had waiting for 18
hours and nothing. then a miracle power failure and my computer restarted.
and it goes to run but now there are 2 vista options to run from. and both
get past the loading screen but then i get a message; "windows failed to
start because installation has not been compeleted" so i do as it says,
restart but then it just goes back and i have to start the install all over
agian.

so is there any way to continue the install? and is there a way to remove
the old vista so its not taking up space?
Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista Won't Startup or install
Return your new computer for replacement or warranty repair - now. This is
not normal behaviour and should not be tolerated.

"DarkestSin" <DarkestSin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> okay so i bought my new computer about a month ago. It came ready setup
> with
> vista premium. It was all working fine. Startinf up, shutting down, going
> into sleep mode. But then one day i started having problems. It would come
> out of sleep. it would freeze on the loading (microsoft windows screen
> with
> the green bars crossing at the bottom) or i'd get a black screen right
> after
> the loading one. usually my windows would start there but it just sat ont
> he
> black screen. i could get it to work if i restarted a few times. Then two
> days ago I had to upgrade my computer and virus software (norton internet
> security 2007) so i restarted it and i havent been able to start it since.
> it
> just lags on the black screen.
>
> so i tried reinstalling vista. and it goes through all the install then
> freezes... as in no progress on completeing the install. I had waiting for
> 18
> hours and nothing. then a miracle power failure and my computer restarted.
> and it goes to run but now there are 2 vista options to run from. and both
> get past the loading screen but then i get a message; "windows failed to
> start because installation has not been compeleted" so i do as it says,
> restart but then it just goes back and i have to start the install all
> over
> agian.
>
> so is there any way to continue the install? and is there a way to remove
> the old vista so its not taking up space?

DarkestSin

Re: Vista Won't Startup or install
is there any way to ger files off of it in this state?

there are a few important things i need

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Return your new computer for replacement or warranty repair - now. This is
> not normal behaviour and should not be tolerated.

> "DarkestSin" <DarkestSin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > okay so i bought my new computer about a month ago. It came ready setup
> > with
> > vista premium. It was all working fine. Startinf up, shutting down, going
> > into sleep mode. But then one day i started having problems. It would come
> > out of sleep. it would freeze on the loading (microsoft windows screen
> > with
> > the green bars crossing at the bottom) or i'd get a black screen right
> > after
> > the loading one. usually my windows would start there but it just sat ont
> > he
> > black screen. i could get it to work if i restarted a few times. Then two
> > days ago I had to upgrade my computer and virus software (norton internet
> > security 2007) so i restarted it and i havent been able to start it since.
> > it
> > just lags on the black screen.
> >
> > so i tried reinstalling vista. and it goes through all the install then
> > freezes... as in no progress on completeing the install. I had waiting for
> > 18
> > hours and nothing. then a miracle power failure and my computer restarted.
> > and it goes to run but now there are 2 vista options to run from. and both
> > get past the loading screen but then i get a message; "windows failed to
> > start because installation has not been compeleted" so i do as it says,
> > restart but then it just goes back and i have to start the install all
> > over
> > agian.
> >
> > so is there any way to continue the install? and is there a way to remove
> > the old vista so its not taking up space?

Lang Murphy

> is there any way to ger files off of it in this state?
>
> there are a few important things i need
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> Return your new computer for replacement or warranty repair - now. This
>> is
>> not normal behaviour and should not be tolerated.

>> "DarkestSin" <DarkestSin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > okay so i bought my new computer about a month ago. It came ready setup
>> > with
>> > vista premium. It was all working fine. Startinf up, shutting down,
>> > going
>> > into sleep mode. But then one day i started having problems. It would
>> > come
>> > out of sleep. it would freeze on the loading (microsoft windows screen
>> > with
>> > the green bars crossing at the bottom) or i'd get a black screen right
>> > after
>> > the loading one. usually my windows would start there but it just sat
>> > ont
>> > he
>> > black screen. i could get it to work if i restarted a few times. Then
>> > two
>> > days ago I had to upgrade my computer and virus software (norton
>> > internet
>> > security 2007) so i restarted it and i havent been able to start it
>> > since.
>> > it
>> > just lags on the black screen.
>> >
>> > so i tried reinstalling vista. and it goes through all the install then
>> > freezes... as in no progress on completeing the install. I had waiting
>> > for
>> > 18
>> > hours and nothing. then a miracle power failure and my computer
>> > restarted.
>> > and it goes to run but now there are 2 vista options to run from. and
>> > both
>> > get past the loading screen but then i get a message; "windows failed
>> > start because installation has not been compeleted" so i do as it says,
>> > restart but then it just goes back and i have to start the install all
>> > over
>> > agian.
>> >
>> > so is there any way to continue the install? and is there a way to
>> > remove
>> > the old vista so its not taking up space?

Boot from the Vista DVD. It's been awhile, so I'm not sure exactly what the
order of things is but you want to get to Repair and then open a command
window. You should be able to hot plug in a USB external drive, either HD or
flash drive and copy your data files from the HD in the computer to the
external drive. This is assuming that the reinstall was an upgrade type and
your files haven't already been overwritten.

Good luck,

Lang