installing vista recovery in a partition

rakcs

installing vista recovery in a partition

is it possible to create a recovery partition in my vista which will be
available in the boot menu? my laptop originaly came with XP so it
doesn't have one for vista. I still have the 2Gb partition left from Xp
but it's now empty after vista installation. and how much space do i
need to resize it for that purpose? i'm also thinking of making another
recovery partition for windows 7. so i will have 4 partitions: vista,
vista recovery, windows 7, windows 7 recovery.

i tried to look in the tutorial section but i didn't find any. i guess
it's not common.

thanks for helping.

--
rakcs
whs

Re: installing vista recovery in a partition

1. I do not really know what you mean by a "recovery partition". You
cannot really create a recovery partition like the factory recovery
partitions that come with the PCs.
2. What you could do is use the 2GBs for data backup although that
makes limited sense on the same HDD (e.g. when that one goes south).
3. 2GBs is really very little space. I would suggest you just add it to
one of the other partitions.
4. If you really want to develop a recovery strategy, I suggest you
look at the imaging/ghosting options ( 'Ghosting approaches - summary
because of popular demand « How-To Geek Forums'
(http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic...and?replies=46)
). But for that you need an external disk of at least 250GBs.

--
whs
truthkid

Re: installing vista recovery in a partition

'Windows RE Notes' (http://blogs.msdn.com/winre/default.aspx)

--
truthkid
whs

Re: installing vista recovery in a partition

Still does not make sense and is impossible in 2GBs.
BTW: this seems to be a pretty old webpage.

--
whs
truthkid

Re: installing vista recovery in a partition

As far as I understand what he's asking (and based on what he's given us
for info). He wants a recovery environment installed in case he tinkers
too much and breaks something. Sure if he wants to perform backups, he'd
need more then 2 gigs, but recovery environment isn't bloated with all
the joys we've grown to love in vista. Hell you can download firefox and
use firefox to run antivirus from recovery as one of our tutorials on
vistax64 showed us.

Edit: I don't see how the date of the article is really relevant
considering what is actually being done. It's just essentially the
windows recovery off your boot disc, and I wouldn't imagine that
instructions for a tool that every vista install disk (at least box
copies) has had on it since vista was released would change all too
much.

--
truthkid
rakcs

Re: installing vista recovery in a partition

hmmm.. i guess there's no concrete answer to this one.

the 2Gb partition is set as primary which makes it possible to adjust
it's size.

i guess i'll just delete it as soon as i learn if it's safe. 2Gb will
be a good help 2-3yrs in the future.

--
rakcs
truthkid

Re: installing vista recovery in a partition

No concrete answer? I sent the link to show how to install WinRE which
is what you described...

--
truthkid
SIW2

Re: installing vista recovery in a partition

It is possible, I have WinRE on my Vista partition and am able to boot
straight into it from the boot menu.

It is not especially straightforward, as you can see from the link
truthkid provided.

As you have Win 7 installed, 7 WinRe will be on the 7 partition and
should start automatically when needed.

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
David B.

Re: installing vista recovery in a partition
It's quite obvious you don't know what a recovery partition is, there are
3rd party apps that will do exactly what the OP wants, Acronis True Image
comes to mind.

--

------
"whs" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> 1. I do not really know what you mean by a "recovery partition". You
> cannot really create a recovery partition like the factory recovery
> partitions that come with the PCs.

DL

Re: installing vista recovery in a partition
Its a complete waste of time and effort to store any backup / restore files
on your primary drive - when the drive fails so will all your efforts