formatting partition in vista

rakcs

formatting partition in vista

i wan't to install another OS in my newly created partition in my Vista.
but im not sure which to select in formatting: primary or local?
i prevously selected local. can i still change that if i reformat it
again?
im all set and that's the only thing i wanna know to have a flawless
installation.

--
rakcs
whs

Re: formatting partition in vista

If you install e.g. Windows7, no prior formatting is required. The
partition will be formatted during the installation.

--
whs
truthkid

Re: formatting partition in vista

Also if you're installing a linux distro, I would suggest using the
installer in said distro to partition as it will more then likely create
a GRUB boot loader which will automatically include your windows os

--
truthkid
rakcs

Re: formatting partition in vista

oh i see. so it won't matter if the partition is already set to local
right? thanks a lot.

--
rakcs
truthkid

Re: formatting partition in vista

Just curious, what OS are you willing to give a chance?

--
truthkid
rakcs

truthkid;1085781 Wrote:
> Just curious, what OS are you willing to give a chance?

im currently preparing to install windows 7

--
rakcs
truthkid

Re: formatting partition in vista

Lucky, I'm only 78% done downloading it. Best of luck.

--
truthkid
SIW2

Re: formatting partition in vista

Do you mean Logical ?

A logical drive is the name given to a volume within an Extended
partition.

You can have a total of 4 partitions on each HD.

A way to increase the number of volumes is to make one of those an
Extended partition , inside which, logical drives can be created.

The disadvantages are that only a Primary partition can be marked
Active, and the extended partition itself cannot be made larger or
smaller.

You will not be able to change it back to a Primary partition non
destructively with Disk Management . You would need a 3rd party app.

Hope it helps

--
SIW2
SIW2

Re: formatting partition in vista

Do you mean Logical ?

A logical drive is the name given to a volume within an Extended
partition.

You can have a total of 4 partitions on each HD.

A way round that limitation is to make one of those an Extended

--
SIW2
rakcs

Re: formatting partition in vista

thanks SIW2. yes it's logical, i misread it. hehe. i'm now running
winodows 7. thanks to all of you.

im using EASEUS partition manager. i'll try if it can set the partition
to primary.

--
rakcs