help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit

senix

help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit

i recently got a new computer which came with a home premium 32bit. I
know the computer can handle the 64 bit upgrade so i brought the upgrade
CD from Microsoft. It says it can be upgrade anytime and when i put it
in it, it come out with this message.
"Setup cannot be run on this version of the Operating System. To
install Windows please try booting from the install media." does anyone
know how i should install it and why does it say it can't be run on this
version of the operating system?

--
senix
Gregg Fowler

Re: help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit

"senix" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> i recently got a new computer which came with a home premium 32bit. I
> know the computer can handle the 64 bit upgrade so i brought the upgrade
> CD from Microsoft. It says it can be upgrade anytime and when i put it
> in it, it come out with this message.
> "Setup cannot be run on this version of the Operating System. To
> install Windows please try booting from the install media." does anyone
> know how i should install it and why does it say it can't be run on this
> version of the operating system?
>

> --
> senix

You will have to boot from the CD as opposed to trying to "run" it from
within Vista itself.

Steve Pearce

Re: help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit
On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:02:29 -0500, "Gregg Fowler"
<saneearth@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>You will have to boot from the CD as opposed to trying to "run" it from
>within Vista itself.

This is because there is no upgrade path from 32 to 64 bit, a clean
install must be done.
senix

Re: help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit

so that means i have to reformat my computer from scratch?

--
senix
Dave

Re: help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit
Yes.
A format wipes out everything.
Back up all of your data first.

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

> so that means i have to reformat my computer from scratch?
>

> --
> senix

Curious

Re: help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit
No, you do not have to reformat your computer from scratch and you should
not since when installing a Vista Upgrade the installation program has to
see the old OS so it can be deactivated in the MS databases.
As stated you can not run the install of a 64 Bit OS by using a 32 bit OS to
run it, it has to be run using 64 bit code.
You can boot your upgrade Installation DVD and run a clean install onto the
partition where your 32 bit OS is. The 32 bit OS will be completely replaced
by the 64 bit OS and then the files from the 32 bit OS will be saved in
folder on the new system called Windows.old You can then copy any data
files that folder that you want to use on new system.
You then have to reinstall your applications since their settings such as
registry settings from the 32 bit OS can not be used in the 64 bit OS and
you will not be able to run the version of them in the Windows.Old folder.
"senix" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> so that means i have to reformat my computer from scratch?
>

> --
> senix

David B.

Re: help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit
What database would that be?

--

------
"Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> No, you do not have to reformat your computer from scratch and you should
> not since when installing a Vista Upgrade the installation program has to
> see the old OS so it can be deactivated in the MS databases.

Curious

Re: help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit
I have no idea of what the name of the database is that they keep the
activation data in but there must be one since when you go to use a product
key over again they know if it currently in use and they have a way to
check when you run WinUpdate if your system is eligible for all updates or
just security updates and they know when you use phone activation if the
Product ID you give them is valid.

"David B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> What database would that be?
>
> --
>

> ------
> "Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>> No, you do not have to reformat your computer from scratch and you
>> should not since when installing a Vista Upgrade the installation
>> program has to see the old OS so it can be deactivated in the MS
>> databases.

David B.

Re: help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit
There is no unactivation database, nor is there a way to unactivate an
installation (short of a format of the hard drive), they do track
activations, but there is no unactivation.

--

------
>I have no idea of what the name of the database is that they keep the
>activation data in but there must be one since when you go to use a product
>key over again they know if it currently in use and they have a way to
>check when you run WinUpdate if your system is eligible for all updates or
>just security updates and they know when you use phone activation if the
>Product ID you give them is valid.
>
> "David B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
>> What database would that be?
>>
>> --
>>

>> ------
>> "Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>> No, you do not have to reformat your computer from scratch and you
>>> should not since when installing a Vista Upgrade the installation
>>> program has to see the old OS so it can be deactivated in the MS
>>> databases.

David B.

Re: help need to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit
Or should that be DE activation??

--

------