Install 64 over 32

tlthompson

Install 64 over 32

I have Vista 32 currently installed. I have upgraded my processor and
would like to install 64. So, I have a 64 ISO file. When I run the
file directly I receive the message "this is not a 32 operation". When
I run the disc as a boot, nothing happens.

I'm running Intel DG43NB, with BIOS NBG4310H.86A.0069.2008.1117.2016

Any help would be great.
Thanks

--
tlthompson
Malke

Re: Install 64 over 32
tlthompson wrote:

> I have Vista 32 currently installed. I have upgraded my processor and
> would like to install 64. So, I have a 64 ISO file. When I run the
> file directly I receive the message "this is not a 32 operation". When
> I run the disc as a boot, nothing happens.
>
> I'm running Intel DG43NB, with BIOS NBG4310H.86A.0069.2008.1117.2016

You cannot "upgrade" a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system. You must do a clean
install. Back up your data, locate your program installation disks, have
Vista 64 drivers available (on USB thumb drive, CD, or stored on an
external drive along with your data, etc.) and do a clean install of Vista
64.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Curious

Re: Install 64 over 32
Did you make an ISO disk using the ISO file?

"tlthompson" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have Vista 32 currently installed. I have upgraded my processor and
> would like to install 64. So, I have a 64 ISO file. When I run the
> file directly I receive the message "this is not a 32 operation". When
> I run the disc as a boot, nothing happens.
>
> I'm running Intel DG43NB, with BIOS NBG4310H.86A.0069.2008.1117.2016
>
> Any help would be great.
> Thanks
>

> --
> tlthompson

Malke

Re: Install 64 over 32
Curious wrote:

> Did you make an ISO disk using the ISO file?

It doesn't matter whether he made an .iso file or not. You have to do a
clean install of a 64-bit operating system if you are replacing a 32-bit
one. You can't do an upgrade in any case.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Curious

Re: Install 64 over 32
When I read the OP's post I understood his problem to be that he could do
any install either an inplace upgrade or a clean install upgrade by
installing the 64 bit OS on top of his 32 bit OS and therefore replacing it.

> Curious wrote:
>
>> Did you make an ISO disk using the ISO file?

> It doesn't matter whether he made an .iso file or not. You have to do a
> clean install of a 64-bit operating system if you are replacing a 32-bit
> one. You can't do an upgrade in any case.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke

Re: Install 64 over 32
Curious wrote:

> When I read the OP's post I understood his problem to be that he could do
> any install either an inplace upgrade or a clean install upgrade by
> installing the 64 bit OS on top of his 32 bit OS and therefore replacing
> it.

No, "When I run the file directly I receive the message "this is not a 32
operation". When I run the disc as a boot, nothing happens."

From the first part of his sentence, I infer that he tried to do an inplace
upgrade, which is not possible since he has a 32-bit system and wants to
install a 64-bit system. From the second part of his sentence, it is
possible that he didn't burn the .iso correctly (although we don't know if
the installation program opened and that would indicate he did burn
the .iso correctly) as you suggested or it is equally possible that he
didn't set his optical drive to be first and/or that the file he downloaded
isn't a bootable .iso (as some of the OS files from MSDN aren't - IIRC
there were a few where you had to extract the bootable .iso and burn it).

Unfortunately for those of us trying to help the OP, "nothing happens" isn't
really descriptive.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Tom Lake

Re: Install 64 over 32

> Curious wrote:
>
>> When I read the OP's post I understood his problem to be that he could do
>> any install either an inplace upgrade or a clean install upgrade by
>> installing the 64 bit OS on top of his 32 bit OS and therefore replacing
>> it.

> No, "When I run the file directly I receive the message "this is not a 32
> operation". When I run the disc as a boot, nothing happens."

Inability to boot would happen if you just copied the ISO file to a DVD
rather
than use a DVD image program to actually unpack and create a bootable DVD.
I use ImgBurn. It's free and works well.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Tom Lake

Malke

Re: Install 64 over 32
Tom Lake wrote:

> Inability to boot would happen if you just copied the ISO file to a DVD
> rather
> than use a DVD image program to actually unpack and create a bootable DVD.
> I use ImgBurn. It's free and works well.
>
> http://www.imgburn.com/

Yes. As both Curious and I said. Yes, I also like ImgBurn.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

tlthompson

Re: Install 64 over 32

Sorry, I'm late guys, but I solved the problem on my own, and didn't
check back. First, "he" is actually a "she.":geek: Second, if we're
going down the literal path, my post says I -upgraded -my processor. I
tried to -install- the 64 program. Third, the screen froze and
literally, "nothing happens". My apologies for not clarifying that I
used powerISO to burn the disc, as a boot disc.

Okay enough about semantics.

I solved the problem by doing a clean install of Windows 7 RC, prepared
that burn disc using the same ISO program. Then I pre-ordered Windows 7
to install in October, and backed up everything I have two different
times, to two different drives.

Love 7, tickled pink with my new speed, and appreciate the help I found
here at the forums. Not bad for an old broad, if do I say so myself.

--
tlthompson