Need help transferring xp to new hd

=?Utf-8?B?RHJlYW13YWxrZXIwMQ==?=

Need help transferring xp to new hd
Hi,
I just purchased a new hard drive and installed it then transferred all my
programs over to it. But when I made the new hd my master it said operating
system could not be found. So please tell me how to transfer windows xp to
the new hd, I can't find my xp disk...
Thank you
Marilyn
JimR

Re: Need help transferring xp to new hd
"Dreamwalker01" <Dreamwalker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I just purchased a new hard drive and installed it then transferred all my
> programs over to it. But when I made the new hd my master it said
> operating
> system could not be found. So please tell me how to transfer windows xp to
> the new hd, I can't find my xp disk...
> Thank you
> Marilyn

The easiest option would be to install the new hard drive as a slave and use
it for data storage. If you want to move the entire contents of the original
drive to the new drive, you should use a utility like Acronis True Image
which has the ability to clone the old drive to the new drive.

--
Jim

Rock

Re: Need help transferring xp to new hd
"Dreamwalker01" <Dreamwalker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hi,
> I just purchased a new hard drive and installed it then transferred all my
> programs over to it. But when I made the new hd my master it said
> operating
> system could not be found. So please tell me how to transfer windows xp to
> the new hd, I can't find my xp disk...
> Thank you
> Marilyn

Hmm, wonders why this is being posted to an Vista OS newsgroup when it
pertains to XP.
I suggest posting to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=us

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

Re: Need help transferring xp to new hd
the new drive should have come with software for copying the entire drive to another.
if it did not, then check the manufacturers web site for the FREE software.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Dreamwalker01" <Dreamwalker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBC83FBB-4B89-4C13-B7CD-3775E8FFB58B@microsoft.com...
Hi,
I just purchased a new hard drive and installed it then transferred all my
programs over to it. But when I made the new hd my master it said operating
system could not be found. So please tell me how to transfer windows xp to
the new hd, I can't find my xp disk...
Thank you
Marilyn
mikeyhsd

Re: Need help transferring xp to new hd
would you point to the the mvp rule where it is excusable to deny a person an answer because they did not post to the correct news group.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@comcast.net> wrote in message news:umjkNHnhHHA.4844@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
would you point to the the mvp rule where it is excusable to deny a person an answer because they did not post to the correct news group.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message news:u2YK%23xhhHHA.4588@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
"Dreamwalker01" <Dreamwalker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hi,
> I just purchased a new hard drive and installed it then transferred all my
> programs over to it. But when I made the new hd my master it said
> operating
> system could not be found. So please tell me how to transfer windows xp to
> the new hd, I can't find my xp disk...
> Thank you
> Marilyn

Hmm, wonders why this is being posted to an Vista OS newsgroup when it
pertains to XP.
I suggest posting to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=us

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

There is no MVP rule but posting to the correct group benefits the OP and users of this and every newsgroup. Answering the question is not an issue since it would apply to XP or Vista, but I should have also directed the OP to the correct newsgroup for future reference.

--
Jim
mikeyhsd

Re: Need help transferring xp to new hd
not answering the question is the issue. whether the person posted to the "correct" news group or not should not be an excuse for not providing the answer and then maybe suggesting there is a better place to post in the future.

too many people presume that everyone who posts, knows all the ins and outs
when really less than half do.
more consideration need to be given.
that's my opinion and that's the truth.,

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"JimR" <jrap107@msn.com> wrote in message news:5CDAC382-D80A-408D-B67D-1247BC6B4EAE@microsoft.com...
"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@comcast.net> wrote in message news:umjkNHnhHHA.4844@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
would you point to the the mvp rule where it is excusable to deny a person an answer because they did not post to the correct news group.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message news:u2YK%23xhhHHA.4588@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
"Dreamwalker01" <Dreamwalker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Hi,
> I just purchased a new hard drive and installed it then transferred all my
> programs over to it. But when I made the new hd my master it said
> operating
> system could not be found. So please tell me how to transfer windows xp to
> the new hd, I can't find my xp disk...
> Thank you
> Marilyn

Hmm, wonders why this is being posted to an Vista OS newsgroup when it
pertains to XP.
I suggest posting to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=us

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

There is no MVP rule but posting to the correct group benefits the OP and users of this and every newsgroup. Answering the question is not an issue since it would apply to XP or Vista, but I should have also directed the OP to the correct newsgroup for future reference.

--
Jim
Dreamwalker01

Re: Need help transferring xp to new hd
Thank you Jim and Mike!
I have tried everything and wiped out. So sorry to be a bother Rock since I
have never been here and typed in XP and it brought me to this site I assumed
it was the correct site since you all have so much more knowledge. Sorry to
be a bother to you Rock.
I will try to contact the manufacturer about the new HD software
Thank again
Dreamwalker

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> the new drive should have come with software for copying the entire drive to another.
> if it did not, then check the manufacturers web site for the FREE software.
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "Dreamwalker01" <Dreamwalker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CBC83FBB-4B89-4C13-B7CD-3775E8FFB58B@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I just purchased a new hard drive and installed it then transferred all my
> programs over to it. But when I made the new hd my master it said operating
> system could not be found. So please tell me how to transfer windows xp to
> the new hd, I can't find my xp disk...
> Thank you
> Marilyn

Rock

Re: Need help transferring xp to new hd
"Dreamwalker01" <Dreamwalker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Thank you Jim and Mike!
> I have tried everything and wiped out. So sorry to be a bother Rock since
> have never been here and typed in XP and it brought me to this site I
> assumed
> it was the correct site since you all have so much more knowledge. Sorry
> be a bother to you Rock.
> I will try to contact the manufacturer about the new HD software
> Thank again

No problem, it's not a bother. Just want to make sure you get to the best
resources.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]