Error: Another instllation in progress. You must complete that in

=?Utf-8?B?amhlcnNjaGVs?=

Error: Another instllation in progress. You must complete that in
All,
For the past 5 days, I cannot install/uninstall/repair any programs as I get
the error above. I tried uninstalling some windows updates, rolling back to
a backup, and could not find anything on blogs, ms.com.

I tried to install the Windows Installer Cleanup Wizard, but hence cannot
install that with same error.
I also looked in registry (maybe no the right spot) for a installation in
progress, but didn't see anything.
Can anybody help? Thanks in advance
Chad Harris

Re: Error: Another instllation in progress. You must complete that in
hello jherschel--

Try the first part of the "good 'ole Error 1719" MSKB which may help you out
by repairing the MSI (Windows Installer) in case it has corrupt files, etc.
I know that you're not getting Error 1719, but no matter--this may clear up
your problem. Using the WICU is a good habit by the way--it is frequently
used and recommended by the MSFT setup experts at Redmond and gets corrupt
..dlls/or registry orphans out of the way of an uninstall and future install
path.

"Error 1719: The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error
message when you try to add or remove a program
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

Good luck,

CH
"jherschel" <jherschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All,
> For the past 5 days, I cannot install/uninstall/repair any programs as I
> get
> the error above. I tried uninstalling some windows updates, rolling back
> a backup, and could not find anything on blogs, ms.com.
>
> I tried to install the Windows Installer Cleanup Wizard, but hence cannot
> install that with same error.
> I also looked in registry (maybe no the right spot) for a installation in
> progress, but didn't see anything.
> Can anybody help? Thanks in advance

jherschel

Re: Error: Another instllation in progress. You must complete tha
Thanks Chad for the suggestion, but that didn't help. I have a co-worker
with the same problem. I am wondering if it was due to a Vista update. I
don't see any other way that this could have happened at the same time to two
different users.

jon herschel

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> hello jherschel--
>
> Try the first part of the "good 'ole Error 1719" MSKB which may help you out
> by repairing the MSI (Windows Installer) in case it has corrupt files, etc.
> I know that you're not getting Error 1719, but no matter--this may clear up
> your problem. Using the WICU is a good habit by the way--it is frequently
> used and recommended by the MSFT setup experts at Redmond and gets corrupt
> ..dlls/or registry orphans out of the way of an uninstall and future install
> path.
>
> "Error 1719: The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error
> message when you try to add or remove a program
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346
>
> Good luck,
>
> CH
> "jherschel" <jherschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > All,
> > For the past 5 days, I cannot install/uninstall/repair any programs as I
> > get
> > the error above. I tried uninstalling some windows updates, rolling back
> > a backup, and could not find anything on blogs, ms.com.
> >
> > I tried to install the Windows Installer Cleanup Wizard, but hence cannot
> > install that with same error.
> > I also looked in registry (maybe no the right spot) for a installation in
> > progress, but didn't see anything.
> > Can anybody help? Thanks in advance

Chad Harris

Re: Error: Another instllation in progress. You must complete tha
jherschel--

I'll continue to look around for a solution. I've seen that message when
someone uninstalls an app and that concomittantly installs an app or when
someone inadvertantly clicked once too often and setup two installs with
some app--but your problem is a major inconvenience in that you cannot
install anything right now. I was hoping that fixing the MSI either with
part one or perhaps installing a new MSI with part two of that KB would have
solved your problem. Hopefully someone will chime in with something that
works. I'll continue to try to dig around on the net and see if I can find
a similar problem and a solution.

You know if you have a Vista DVD, you might want to try a startup repair or
a repair install, or even a restore point to when this wasn't happening if
you have one. I can tell you if it were my box, I wouldn't hesitate to do a
Startup Repair or a repair install which reportedly works in Vista because
if they failed to work there would be no downside to your current situation.

All the resources you would need to do any of these are below:

If you have a Vista DVD try Startup Repair. If that doesn't work, try Safe
Mode>System Restore from the Recovery Environment, and you always have the
F8 advanced options and a repair install (with the DVD) as well.

***Startup Repair and System Restore from the Win Recovery Environment on
the DVD***

You can run Startup Repair by putting your Vista DVD in after the
language screen in setup. You can also run System Restore from the same
location.

You run the startup repair tool this way (and system restore from here is
also sometimes effective):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

Note The computer must be configured to start from a CD or from a DVD. For
information about how to configure the computer to start from a CD or from a
DVD, see the information that came with the computer.
2. Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to
the Lock button, and then click Restart.

This usually means that you enter bios setup by whatever key or keys
(sometimes there is more than one key that will do it for your model--go to
pc manufacturer site) and configure CD to be first in the boot order (this
will allow you to boot from the Vista DVD as well):

See for ref:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Boot Order in Bios (Set Boot from HD 1st)
http://www.short-media.com/images/mm...ios/bios03.jpg

Note If you cannot restart the computer by using this method, use the power
button to turn off the computer. Then, turn the computer back on.

3. Set your language preference, and then click Next.

Note In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically, and you
do not have the option to select it in the System Recovery Options menu.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system
that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the
repair process.

7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

Additional References for Startup Repair With Screenshots:

How to Use Startup Repair:

***Accessing Windows RE (Repair Environment):***

1) Insert Media into PC (the DVD you burned)

2) ***You will see on the Vista logo setup screen after lang. options in the
lower left corner, a link called "System Recovery Options."***

Screenshot: System Recovery Options (Lower Left Link)
http://blogs.itecn.net/photos/liuhui...4/500x375.aspx

Screenshot: (Click first option "Startup Repair"
http://www.leedesmond.com/images/img...SysRecOpt2.bmp

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

3) Select your OS for repair.

4) Its been my experience that you can see some causes of the crash from
theWin RE feature:

You'll have a choice there of using:

1) Startup Repair
2) System Restore
3) Complete PC Restore
___________________

***Using the F8 Environment or a Repair Install from the DVD:***

See for ref:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Boot Order in Bios (Set Boot from HD 1st)
http://www.short-media.com/images/mm...ios/bios03.jpg

Repair Install
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Repair Install (Method 2):

III Taking Full Advantage of the F8 Options (Windows Advanced Options Menu)
by startin gth ePC and tapping F8 once per second:

You could also:

Think: I have 4 different ways to get back my XP at F8 and try 'em in order.
1) Safe Mode 2) Safe Mode with Cmd to Sys Restore which is simply a cmd
prompt in safe mode 3) Safe Mode with Neworking 4) LKG or Last Known Good
Configuration

Try to F8 to the Windows Adv Options Menu>try 3 safe modes there (I don't
use WGA) and Last Known Good>then I go to Win RE in Vista. That gives you a
choice of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking,and Safe Mode with Command
Prompt.

These methods are outlined in

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP/and Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

How to Use System Restore

http://bertk.mvps.org/

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore from MSFT:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../faqsrwxp.mspx

Using System Restore

http://tinyurl.com/dvekb

System Restore for Windows XP

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP

Repair Install: (This option has the best chance of succeeding and it
preserves everything in your OS--you do not lose anything with this option):

Make sure the DVD you have is a Vista DVD

Pitfalls: If the DVD came from friend or relative or P2P, you may have
problems. P2P besides being illlegal in many countries including the U.S.
can be corrupt. If CD came from friend or relative, they may have given
you the CD to use but if product key is in use, MSFT is not going to accept
it for activation. Make sure you clean the CD carefully using proper
cleaning fluid and strokes that radiate from center like spokes on a wheel.

Again a repair install has the most likely chance to succeed, but you need
to have an Vista DVD.
First, in order to do a Repair Install You must boot to the bios setup and
position booting from the "CD" first in the boot order--it probably will not
say DVD but might.

Booting to Bios Setup:

For 85% of PC's and all Dells you can tap the F2 key to reach bios setup.

How To Enable DVD/CD Rom Support (put CD boot first) in bios setup boot
order:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how..._support_i.htm

Screen Shot of bios setup boot order:
http://www.poy.net/proxy/bios2.jpg

Repair Install Does Not Lose Anything; you may need to try 2-3 times but
that's rare.

How To Repair Install
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3153...22120121120120
Screen Shot Repair Install
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winx...exfullpage.htm

> Thanks Chad for the suggestion, but that didn't help. I have a co-worker
> with the same problem. I am wondering if it was due to a Vista update. I
> don't see any other way that this could have happened at the same time to
> two
> different users.
>
> jon herschel
>
> "Chad Harris" wrote:
>
>> hello jherschel--
>>
>> Try the first part of the "good 'ole Error 1719" MSKB which may help you
>> out
>> by repairing the MSI (Windows Installer) in case it has corrupt files,
>> etc.
>> I know that you're not getting Error 1719, but no matter--this may clear
>> up
>> your problem. Using the WICU is a good habit by the way--it is
>> frequently
>> used and recommended by the MSFT setup experts at Redmond and gets
>> corrupt
>> ..dlls/or registry orphans out of the way of an uninstall and future
>> install
>> path.
>>
>> "Error 1719: The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error
>> message when you try to add or remove a program
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> CH
>> "jherschel" <jherschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > All,
>> > For the past 5 days, I cannot install/uninstall/repair any programs as
>> > get
>> > the error above. I tried uninstalling some windows updates, rolling
>> > back
>> > a backup, and could not find anything on blogs, ms.com.
>> >
>> > I tried to install the Windows Installer Cleanup Wizard, but hence
>> > cannot
>> > install that with same error.
>> > I also looked in registry (maybe no the right spot) for a installation
>> > in
>> > progress, but didn't see anything.
>> > Can anybody help? Thanks in advance

jherschel

Re: Error: Another instllation in progress. You must complete tha
Chad,
Thanks for your help. There was an error with the bootup scripts, but still
have the problem.
Maybe a hammer will fix it?
Just kidding.
Thanks for your assistance.

-Jon Herschel

"Chad Harris" wrote:

> [...]
> >> I know that you're not getting Error 1719, but no matter--this may clear
> >> up
> >> your problem. Using the WICU is a good habit by the way--it is
> >> frequently
> >> used and recommended by the MSFT setup experts at Redmond and gets
> >> corrupt
> >> ..dlls/or registry orphans out of the way of an uninstall and future
> >> install
> >> path.
> >>
> >> "Error 1719: The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error
> >> message when you try to add or remove a program
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> CH

Chad Harris

Re: Error: Another instllation in progress. You must complete tha

I'd try a Startup Repair, System Restore, and a Repair Install (all the
links were in my first post) and do an SFC by typing cmd in the search box
above the Start button>rt. click>run as admin>at cmd prompt type sfc
/scannow. I would hope one of these would do the trick.