How to reinstall windows vista without removing programs installed

sharif_aly

How to reinstall windows vista without removing programs installed
I do not have reinstall option on CD of windows vista, and i have found major
problems after i do system restore,

I just need to upgrade or doing something to reinstall windows on same folder
as CD gives me new installation no upgrade, And i want replace installation
to replace files and install windows again and keeping updates and upgrades i
done to the windows.

also, to keep software installed, i used to do that in windows XP but could
not do it in Vista as no option for upgrade, or install windows on same
folder so that not losing the files or programs installed.

Danny Krychek

Re: How to reinstall windows vista without removing programs installed
"sharif_aly" <u53083@uwe> wrote:

>I do not have reinstall option on CD of windows vista, and i have found major
>problems after i do system restore,
>
>I just need to upgrade or doing something to reinstall windows on same folder
>as CD gives me new installation no upgrade, And i want replace installation
>to replace files and install windows again and keeping updates and upgrades i
>done to the windows.
>
>also, to keep software installed, i used to do that in windows XP but could
>not do it in Vista as no option for upgrade, or install windows on same
>folder so that not losing the files or programs installed.

You will have to do a full install... losing everything.
Jig Saw

Re: How to reinstall windows vista without removing programs installed

What if you upgrade to Win 7? Maybe it would repair the problems your
experiencing, while giving you a fresh new OS.

--
Jig Saw
Rick Rogers

Re: How to reinstall windows vista without removing programs installed
Hi,

A "reinstall" is actually an in-place upgrade. This option is only available
if you are starting from within an existing installation *and* the
installation disk is at the same or higher level of service pack as the
existing installation. This option frequently is also *not* available in
manufacturer recovery disks.

To access it if it is available, boot the installation and insert the disk.
Choose the custom install and then the in-place upgrade.

If it's not available for you, then your only option is a clean install. You
will not be able to save installed programs, they will need to be
reinstalled from their original installation media. Data files can be saved
provided you have sufficient space and do not format as part of the install.
The existing installation will be moved to a windows.old file on the root of
the drive where you can later recover data. This may not apply to
manufacturer recovery disk sets that frequently only do a wipe and reload,
resulting in the loss of all data on the drive.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"sharif_aly" <u53083@uwe> wrote in message news:98b487a937ab9@uwe...
>I do not have reinstall option on CD of windows vista, and i have found
>major
> problems after i do system restore,
>
> I just need to upgrade or doing something to reinstall windows on same
> folder
> as CD gives me new installation no upgrade, And i want replace
> installation
> to replace files and install windows again and keeping updates and
> upgrades i
> done to the windows.
>
> also, to keep software installed, i used to do that in windows XP but
> could
> not do it in Vista as no option for upgrade, or install windows on same
> folder so that not losing the files or programs installed.

Mike Brannigan

"Jig Saw" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> What if you upgrade to Win 7? Maybe it would repair the problems your
> experiencing, while giving you a fresh new OS.
>

> --
> Jig Saw

Firstly Windows 7 is not a shipping OS yet - only a prerelease (Release
Candidate) build.
Secondly attempting to upgrade to a newer OS over a damaged current one is
likely to end up with an even more messed up system then the original and
may result in anything from a none bootable system to loss of data etc.
You should not under any circumstances attempt an in place OS upgrade on a
system exhibiting problems and expect things to improve.
--
Mike Brannigan