Works in safe mode but not in standard mode

=?Utf-8?B?UG9vcm1v?=

Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
I did the install of Vista last night and it seem to go without a hitch, no
error messages. It boots up just fine but as soon as I try to do anything it
stops responding from the keyboard and the mouse moves REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYY
slow as if something is running in the background. The HD light is blinking
like crazy but I can't do anything. There is an ATI TV card that it says is
incompatible so I have disabled it but still have the same problem. If I
start up in safe mode the system runs fine so I'm guessing something is being
loaded that it doesn't like. The keyboard and mouse are Microsoft wireless
desktop elite. Anyone have any suggestions? The system is a dual core AMD X2
4200 with 2gig of memory. SATA HD and DVD and an Nvidia PCIe video card.
Don

Re: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
Poormo wrote:
> I did the install of Vista last night and it seem to go without a hitch, no
> error messages. It boots up just fine but as soon as I try to do anything it
> stops responding from the keyboard and the mouse moves REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYY
> slow as if something is running in the background...

Probably right. Since you can use the mouse, try right-clicking the
taskbar and start Task Manager. It will let you see how much CPU each
process is using, and other interesting info.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
Hello,
Try running msconfig in normal mode and choose the diagnostic startup.
This turns off all the startup programs and services.
See if that makes a difference.
It it works, then try adding back in services to help track down whether
the issue is in services or startup programs.
If it's a service start adding in the services back in by checking the
boxes ( I would enable a group at a time and track which ones I enterered)
It's a process of elimination at this stage to see what it causing this.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: =?Utf-8?B?UG9vcm1v?= <Poormo@discussions.microsoft.com>
|>Subject: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
|>Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:08:00 -0700
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>I did the install of Vista last night and it seem to go without a hitch,
no
|>error messages. It boots up just fine but as soon as I try to do anything
it
|>stops responding from the keyboard and the mouse moves
REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYY
|>slow as if something is running in the background. The HD light is
blinking
|>like crazy but I can't do anything. There is an ATI TV card that it says
is
|>incompatible so I have disabled it but still have the same problem. If I
|>start up in safe mode the system runs fine so I'm guessing something is
being
|>loaded that it doesn't like. The keyboard and mouse are Microsoft
wireless
|>desktop elite. Anyone have any suggestions? The system is a dual core AMD
X2
|>4200 with 2gig of memory. SATA HD and DVD and an Nvidia PCIe video card.

mikeyhsd

Re: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
might check with Control Panel Indexing Options to see if the indexing is complete or still running.
contrary to mvp opinions, it CAN slow the computer down.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Poormo" <Poormo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B17655C-588A-4CDA-9AD9-5FEC2BBCB720@microsoft.com...
I did the install of Vista last night and it seem to go without a hitch, no
error messages. It boots up just fine but as soon as I try to do anything it
stops responding from the keyboard and the mouse moves REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYY
slow as if something is running in the background. The HD light is blinking
like crazy but I can't do anything. There is an ATI TV card that it says is
incompatible so I have disabled it but still have the same problem. If I
start up in safe mode the system runs fine so I'm guessing something is being
loaded that it doesn't like. The keyboard and mouse are Microsoft wireless
desktop elite. Anyone have any suggestions? The system is a dual core AMD X2
4200 with 2gig of memory. SATA HD and DVD and an Nvidia PCIe video card.
Roedy Green

Re: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:08:00 -0700, Poormo
<Poormo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

> I try to do anything it
>stops responding from the keyboard and the mouse moves REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYY
>slow as if something is running in the background. The HD light is blinking
>like crazy but I can't do anything

Possible culprits:
indexing
virus scans
Google desktop indexing
Try a ctrl-alt-del and get the task manager running, and within that
the resource monitor. Sort tasks by CPU, disk read, disk written,
page fault etc till you find the culprit. By Murphy's law, in all the
time it takes to set up the monitoring, the problem will go away.
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
=?Utf-8?B?UG9vcm1v?=

RE: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
I have more info now. CPU usage will jump from 2% up 60% and then go back to
3 or 4%. I am getting an error message now that says "Display driver stopped
responding and has recovered successfully". Here's the bad news, I've gotten
this with two different PCIe adapters, one is and Nvidia Geforce 7100GS and
the other is an ATI X1550. Before I start disabling stuff I wanted to give
this info as this might lead to a different solution.

Thanks all for the help so far but I have to say this is somewhat frustrating.

"Poormo" wrote:

> I did the install of Vista last night and it seem to go without a hitch, no
> error messages. It boots up just fine but as soon as I try to do anything it
> stops responding from the keyboard and the mouse moves REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYY
> slow as if something is running in the background. The HD light is blinking
> like crazy but I can't do anything. There is an ATI TV card that it says is
> incompatible so I have disabled it but still have the same problem. If I
> start up in safe mode the system runs fine so I'm guessing something is being
> loaded that it doesn't like. The keyboard and mouse are Microsoft wireless
> desktop elite. Anyone have any suggestions? The system is a dual core AMD X2
> 4200 with 2gig of memory. SATA HD and DVD and an Nvidia PCIe video card.

=?Utf-8?B?UG9vcm1v?=

Re: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
We're good on indexing. It's showing complete.

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> might check with Control Panel Indexing Options to see if the indexing is complete or still running.
> contrary to mvp opinions, it CAN slow the computer down.
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "Poormo" <Poormo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B17655C-588A-4CDA-9AD9-5FEC2BBCB720@microsoft.com...
> I did the install of Vista last night and it seem to go without a hitch, no
> error messages. It boots up just fine but as soon as I try to do anything it
> stops responding from the keyboard and the mouse moves REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYY
> slow as if something is running in the background. The HD light is blinking
> like crazy but I can't do anything. There is an ATI TV card that it says is
> incompatible so I have disabled it but still have the same problem. If I
> start up in safe mode the system runs fine so I'm guessing something is being
> loaded that it doesn't like. The keyboard and mouse are Microsoft wireless
> desktop elite. Anyone have any suggestions? The system is a dual core AMD X2
> 4200 with 2gig of memory. SATA HD and DVD and an Nvidia PCIe video card

Poormo

RE: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
Darrell,
I did as you suggested and started by turning everything off and then
turning on the startup progams first. The system ran fine but of course
cetain things didn't work. I then started going through turning on services
5 at a time. (This was a pain since there are 60+ listed and I needed to
restart after each one.) The first time the problem reoccured was when the
software compatibility service was added back in which really doesn't make
sense. I unchecked it and went on to the next group of 5 and the problem
still occured. I stopped after that. I think that before I go any farther I
need to identify the circumstances when the problem occurs. Unfortunately it
seems pretty random.

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello,
> Try running msconfig in normal mode and choose the diagnostic startup.
> This turns off all the startup programs and services.
> See if that makes a difference.
> It it works, then try adding back in services to help track down whether
> the issue is in services or startup programs.
> If it's a service start adding in the services back in by checking the
> boxes ( I would enable a group at a time and track which ones I enterered)
> It's a process of elimination at this stage to see what it causing this.
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |>From: =?Utf-8?B?UG9vcm1v?= <Poormo@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |>Subject: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
> |>Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:08:00 -0700
> |>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> |>
> |>I did the install of Vista last night and it seem to go without a hitch,
> no
> |>error messages. It boots up just fine but as soon as I try to do anything
> it
> |>stops responding from the keyboard and the mouse moves
> REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYY
> |>slow as if something is running in the background. The HD light is
> blinking
> |>like crazy but I can't do anything. There is an ATI TV card that it says
> is
> |>incompatible so I have disabled it but still have the same problem. If I
> |>start up in safe mode the system runs fine so I'm guessing something is
> being
> |>loaded that it doesn't like. The keyboard and mouse are Microsoft
> wireless
> |>desktop elite. Anyone have any suggestions? The system is a dual core AMD
> X2
> |>4200 with 2gig of memory. SATA HD and DVD and an Nvidia PCIe video card.

mikeyhsd

Re: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
might need to download the latest drivers from the respective web sites.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Poormo" wrote:

> I did the install of Vista last night and it seem to go without a hitch, no
> error messages. It boots up just fine but as soon as I try to do anything it
> stops responding from the keyboard and the mouse moves REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYY
> slow as if something is running in the background. The HD light is blinking
> like crazy but I can't do anything. There is an ATI TV card that it says is
> incompatible so I have disabled it but still have the same problem. If I
> start up in safe mode the system runs fine so I'm guessing something is being
> loaded that it doesn't like. The keyboard and mouse are Microsoft wireless
> desktop elite. Anyone have any suggestions? The system is a dual core AMD X2
> 4200 with 2gig of memory. SATA HD and DVD and an Nvidia PCIe video card.

Poormo

Re: Works in safe mode but not in standard mode
After I put the new video card in and got the same result I didn't think
about the driver but I will pull down the latest version which is actully 6
days old and see if that by chance solves the problem. I'll keep my fingers
crossed.