ctrl alt delete - frozen vista

=?Utf-8?B?bGllbQ==?=

ctrl alt delete - frozen vista
my computer is frozen.

i have tried to ctrl alt delete so i can end task but this function does not
work with windows vista.

so how do i go about ending a task using the new windows application.
JerryM \(ID\)

Re: ctrl alt delete - frozen vista
Try rebooting or pull the power plug.

"liem" <liem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer is frozen.
>
> i have tried to ctrl alt delete so i can end task but this function does
> not
> work with windows vista.
>
> so how do i go about ending a task using the new windows application.

computergenie

Re: ctrl alt delete - frozen vista
If you press Ctrl + Alt + Del you will be asked a few options >

> Lock This Computer
> Switch User
> Log Off
> Change a Password
> Start Task Manager

All These Options Will Be Available When Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del.

Maybe Restart and try Ctrl + Alt + Del. If it does not show then there must
be something wrong and then you might be better off doing a disk check.

To do a disk check:

1)Click on "Computer" Icon or "Start" > "Computer"
2) Right Click on main hard drive (Usually C
3) Select the "Tools" Tab
4) Under "Error-Checking" Press "Check Now"
5) Put a tick on both boxes where it says "Automatically Fix File System
Errors & Scan For and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors.
6) As it is the main drive it will ask "Do you want to schedule Disk Check
When You Next Restart, Press "Schedule Disk Check"

Hope This Solves Your Problems.

"liem" <liem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer is frozen.
>
> i have tried to ctrl alt delete so i can end task but this function does
> not
> work with windows vista.
>
> so how do i go about ending a task using the new windows application.

Chad Harris

Re: ctrl alt delete - frozen vista
The most common reason for this symptom is hyporesourcia. I would advise
you to shoo the pigs away from the resource troth. I'm going to give you a
number of steps, but usually if spyware or malware or malicious scripts
rarely aren't the cause of this, defragging with a competent defragger
regularly (MSFT has one in Vista) and I recommend Perfect Disk from Raxco,
and cutting services and processes that Vista has on by default that you
don't need--you don't even have the hardware or software for some of them
works very well.

Pulling the plug and rebooting are one way--but if you reboot frozen, you're
doing a dirty shutdown and if you repeat dirty shutdowns you can injure
restore points and since you're obviously going to freeze repeatedly until
you fix this, it's awfully inconvenient. Here are the things you can do to
stop this, and the ones I list first are the most practical:

Don’t judge a book by its cover – why Windows Vista Defrag is cool
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...g-is-cool.aspx

Perfect Disk
www.raxco.com

Below is a general outline for cleaning and speeding your PC:

******Speed PC and Control CPU Tips/Steps******

SPEED AND CPU:

_______________

1) Trim processes you don't need in TM. Google them or "search engine of

your choice them" if you have to.

2) Go to

services.msc in run box and turn off services not needed and there are some.

SERVICE CONFIGURATION REFERENCES*

*Vista Services*

Part One

http://www.tweakvista.com/article38662.aspx

Part Two

http://www.tweakvista.com/article38664.aspx

Windows Vista Services Tweak Guide v1.0

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=87443

3) Run System File Checker.

SFC: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

In Vista run it from an elevated command prompt. Right click command on

start and run as administrator.

4) Run 3 or so spyware scans Windows Defender, , Adaware, and Spybot

5) Probably the most important for speed consistently and efficient resource

use DEFRAG with www.raxco.com or www.diskeeeper.com with 15% free space on

drive if DK and or >5% if Raxco's Perfect Disk.

http://groups.msn.com/windowsxpcentral/spyware.msnw

Download Adaware and

Spybot from here.

GOOD Overall Review for Defending Your PC:

MSFT Defense Site MSFT Security:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx

Protect Your PC from MSFT Security:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...t/default.mspx

MSFT Windows Defender

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

MSFT MSRT: (Malicious Software Removal Tool)

MSFT "Windows One Care" in Wings (AV and Spyware Scans)

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...OneCarePR.mspx

6) Unck items from msconfig start tab you don't need starting and some

won't start--peoiple who think just uncking for many are naive because there

are 12 places things can be started including several reg keys like Run Once

keys and there are serveral.

7) Turn off Messaging service--it's a security vulnerability and it slows

you

8) Defrag very often every other day actually.

9) Turn off indexing.

10) Clear TIF and %temp% files (delete) and go to safe mode to get as many

as u can.

10) Do troubleshooting with msconfig.

11) Do Clean boot with msconfig utility and search for the directions here:

Vista RTM Tweak Guide (Tweaks to Improve Performances)

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...tm+tweak+guide

1) Task Manager lists the services on the services tab in Vista.

2) Type services.msc in run box and using the list of services, click the

service and you'll get a description of services.

3) There is a list here of the default services and a description>>click

"default settings for services" in the left pane.

4) To view service dependencies

1.

Open Services.

2.

In the details pane, right-click the service that you want to view

dependencies for, and then click Properties.

3.

Click the Dependencies tab.

4.

To view services that are associated dependencies of the selected service,

in the list on the Dependencies tab, click the plus sign next to the

service.

Many of the services but not all in Vista are the same as in XP, so in that

context:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/services.htm

Also see the extremely helpful site:

Black Viper's Service List

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm

Black Viper's Site (Many of the same services in Vista)

http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm

http://www.z123.org/techsupport/xpservices.htm

http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/xpserv1.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

This will be helpful

http://web.archive.org/web/200411280...servicecfg.htm

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560/

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041/

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/

How to Disable a Service or Device that Prevents Windows from Starting

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310602/

Also ck out these references:

http://www.speedupyourcomputer.windo....com/index.htm

and

http://www.extremetech.com/search_re...app=&site=4P.S.

Defragging with a decent defrag every day will make a huge dent inefficient
resource/CPU use.

Perfect Disk has a 5 month full functionality trial on now for Windows
Vista.

If you run Win One Care, it has its own spyware scanning, so you don't need
Windows Defender which ships with Vista turned on.

Good luck,

CH

"liem" <liem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer is frozen.
>
> i have tried to ctrl alt delete so i can end task but this function does
> not
> work with windows vista.
>
> so how do i go about ending a task using the new windows application.

Don

liem wrote:
> my computer is frozen.
>
> i have tried to ctrl alt delete so i can end task but this function does not
> work with windows vista.
>
> so how do i go about ending a task using the new windows application.

As other posters have already said, Ctrl-Alt-Delete should work under
normal circumstances, but I've found that starting Task Manager by
right-clicking on the task bar will sometimes work even if the machine
is acting flakey.

Rock

Re: ctrl alt delete - frozen vista
"liem" <liem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> my computer is frozen.
>
> i have tried to ctrl alt delete so i can end task but this function does
> not
> work with windows vista.
>
> so how do i go about ending a task using the new windows application.

Ctrl-Alt-Esc to go directly to Task Manager

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Poormo

Re: ctrl alt delete - frozen vista
Chad,
You stated regarding services "Vista has on by default that you don't
need--you don't even have the hardware or software for...". How can I
determine what I can remove safely without and not lose functionality? I am
having a problem where the system occasionally loses connection with the
video driver and then restores it but the screen goes blank when it does and
sometimes freezes at a black screen and I have to hit the reset to restart.