after vista install, pc won't boot

AMD

after vista install, pc won't boot
using asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe board. 2gb dual channel ram, amdx2 5200+. evga
7800gt pci-e card. 2 wd 10k rpm 74gb in raid 0 on sata 1 and 2. 160gb drive
on sata 3. dvdrw on ide, floppy drive too. bios is set correctly to boot
from the raid 0. sata raid is enabled for sata1 and 2 and disabled for the
rest. so the bios is set properly.

in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the raid
0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the dvd it
won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing, intert system disk etc. shut down
won't work nor will restart. if i say restart then the monitor goes black as
it looses signal, nothing else happens. same thing for shut down.

can anyone please help me out?

emanon

Re: after vista install, pc won't boot

"AMD" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> using asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe board. 2gb dual channel ram, amdx2 5200+. evga
> 7800gt pci-e card. 2 wd 10k rpm 74gb in raid 0 on sata 1 and 2. 160gb
> drive on sata 3. dvdrw on ide, floppy drive too. bios is set correctly to
> boot from the raid 0. sata raid is enabled for sata1 and 2 and disabled
> for the rest. so the bios is set properly.
>
> in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the
> raid 0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the
> dvd it won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing, intert system disk etc.
> shut down won't work nor will restart. if i say restart then the monitor
> goes black as it looses signal, nothing else happens. same thing for shut
> down.
>
> can anyone please help me out?

This is normal because

Cha-Ching! Hear the cash register ring!

You need a new computer that is 100% compatible with Vista. Otherwise . . .

iceeagle

Re: after vista install, pc won't boot
Try loading the nVidia SATA RAID drivers when youare at the partition
selection screen. If you do not have Vista drivers for the SATA
controller[s], use WinXP drivers.

hth.

-iceeagle

"AMD" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> using asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe board. 2gb dual channel ram, amdx2 5200+. evga
> 7800gt pci-e card. 2 wd 10k rpm 74gb in raid 0 on sata 1 and 2. 160gb
> drive on sata 3. dvdrw on ide, floppy drive too. bios is set correctly to
> boot from the raid 0. sata raid is enabled for sata1 and 2 and disabled
> for the rest. so the bios is set properly.
>
> in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the
> raid 0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the
> dvd it won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing, intert system disk etc.
> shut down won't work nor will restart. if i say restart then the monitor
> goes black as it looses signal, nothing else happens. same thing for shut
> down.
>
> can anyone please help me out?

Roedy Green

Re: after vista install, pc won't boot
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 04:07:51 -0700, "AMD" <s@s.com> wrote, quoted or
indirectly quoted someone who said :

>in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the raid
>0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the dvd it
>won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing, intert system disk etc. shut down
>won't work nor will restart. if i say restart then the monitor goes black as
>it looses signal, nothing else happens. same thing for shut down.
>
>can anyone please help me out?

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/windowsvista.html#WONTBOOT
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
AMD

"iceeagle" <iceeagle1112@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Try loading the nVidia SATA RAID drivers when youare at the partition
> selection screen. If you do not have Vista drivers for the SATA
> controller[s], use WinXP drivers.
>
> hth.
>
> -iceeagle
>

> "AMD" <s@s.com> wrote in message
>> using asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe board. 2gb dual channel ram, amdx2 5200+.
>> evga 7800gt pci-e card. 2 wd 10k rpm 74gb in raid 0 on sata 1 and 2.
>> 160gb drive on sata 3. dvdrw on ide, floppy drive too. bios is set
>> correctly to boot from the raid 0. sata raid is enabled for sata1 and 2
>> and disabled for the rest. so the bios is set properly.
>>
>> in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the
>> raid 0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the
>> dvd it won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing, intert system disk etc.
>> shut down won't work nor will restart. if i say restart then the monitor
>> goes black as it looses signal, nothing else happens. same thing for shut
>> down.
>>
>> can anyone please help me out?

vista has built in drivers so i don't need any.

AMD

"Roedy Green" <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 04:07:51 -0700, "AMD" <s@s.com> wrote, quoted or
> indirectly quoted someone who said :
>

>>in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the
>>raid
>>0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the dvd
>>it
>>won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing, intert system disk etc. shut
>>down
>>won't work nor will restart. if i say restart then the monitor goes black
>>as
>>it looses signal, nothing else happens. same thing for shut down.
>>
>>can anyone please help me out?

> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/windowsvista.html#WONTBOOT
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossary
> http://mindprod.com

i have already booted from vista dvd using repair. the first time it said
there are issues and repaired. did not help. this was a week ago. then i got
in vista only when the vista dvd is in t8he drive. it stayed this way for a
few days. i then took dvd out and could not boot. booted from dvd using the
repair and it said there are no problems. try to reinstall today and it says
the same problem. system boot failure, insert boot disc. i tried the repair
again and it says no issues. still can't boot though.

AMD

Re: after vista install, pc won't boot
this board is vista compatible.

"emanon" <emanon@erehwon.com> wrote in message

> "AMD" <s@s.com> wrote in message
>> using asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe board. 2gb dual channel ram, amdx2 5200+.
>> evga 7800gt pci-e card. 2 wd 10k rpm 74gb in raid 0 on sata 1 and 2.
>> 160gb drive on sata 3. dvdrw on ide, floppy drive too. bios is set
>> correctly to boot from the raid 0. sata raid is enabled for sata1 and 2
>> and disabled for the rest. so the bios is set properly.
>>
>> in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the
>> raid 0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the
>> dvd it won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing, intert system disk etc.
>> shut down won't work nor will restart. if i say restart then the monitor
>> goes black as it looses signal, nothing else happens. same thing for shut
>> down.
>>
>> can anyone please help me out?
>>

> This is normal because
>
> Cha-Ching! Hear the cash register ring!
>
> You need a new computer that is 100% compatible with Vista. Otherwise . .
> .

Richard Urban

Re: after vista install, pc won't boot
The problem concerns computers with the following configuration/condition:

1. A computer with multiple hard drives (any mix of S-ATA or P-ATA it
turns out) and a S-ATA drive being used for the operating system install

2. Any of the 2nd, or higher, drives has been setup as having a logical
partition/partitions

3. The user installs Vista by booting from the DVD

When a drive is setup with a logical partition, 8 meg of unallocated space
is reserved at the beginning of the drive.

The Vista installer, it appears, creates a small (corrupted) partition in
the unallocated space
on a 2nd, 3rd or 4th drive. The installer then starts installing boot code
to this partition. I
have used a hex editor and have found this code there. This 8 meg space is
quickly filled
and the installer places the remainder of the code on the disk chosen by the
user for the
Vista install.

I have seen situations where, if the above happens, it will corrupt the 2nd,
3rd or 4th drive
and make it unusable. In these circumstances I have had to delete all
partitions
from the drive and then create/format new partitions. All information on the
drive will have been lost. Again, this occurs only sometimes.

Anyway, the Vista install completes and the user removes the DVD. Upon
startup, the
user finds that Vista will not boot. Vista is looking for the boot code on
the drive where the user had chosen to install Vista (system partition). It
is not there. Part of it resides on another drive where it is not being
accessed/recognized.

If the user puts the DVD into the drive tray, Vista boots fine. Startup
apparently uses code from the DVD.

This should not occur, but it is too late to change the code on the Vista
DVD's at this point. The work around is start fresh, physically
disconnecting
any drive that you do not want the Vista installer to touch. In this way,
all of
the code is written to the desired drive/partition.

Upon arriving at the initial Windows desktop, go to system management | Disk
Management and change the drive letters for your CD drive, DVD drive, USB
drives, card readers etc. to the end of the alphabet. This gets them out of
the way prior to you shutting down the computer and reconnecting your other
drives.

Now, shut down your computer and reconnect your drives. Upon booting to the
desktop, you will see that the new drives are recognized and initialized.
You will also see that the drive letters are in sequence, and not broken up
by the various other drives (you previously moved them). You may be asked to
reboot so the changes can be made permanent. Do so if directed.

The next time you boot to the desktop you can rearrange those re-lettered
drives at the end of the alphabet if you so desire.

Now, I am not certain how pervasive this problem is but I have seen it on
old/new motherboards from 3 major M/B manufacturers. It is not, of course,
going to affect those who purchase a new computer with Vista on it. It
"will" affect those who upgrade or build their own computers, as these are
the users who are more likely to have multiple drives installed in their
machines.

I hope this has been of help to you.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"AMD" <s@s.com> wrote in message
> using asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe board. 2gb dual channel ram, amdx2 5200+. evga
> 7800gt pci-e card. 2 wd 10k rpm 74gb in raid 0 on sata 1 and 2. 160gb
> drive on sata 3. dvdrw on ide, floppy drive too. bios is set correctly to
> boot from the raid 0. sata raid is enabled for sata1 and 2 and disabled
> for the rest. so the bios is set properly.
>
> in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the
> raid 0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the
> dvd it won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing, intert system disk etc.
> shut down won't work nor will restart. if i say restart then the monitor
> goes black as it looses signal, nothing else happens. same thing for shut
> down.
>
> can anyone please help me out?

andy

Re: after vista install, pc won't boot
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 04:07:51 -0700, "AMD" <s@s.com> wrote:

>using asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe board. 2gb dual channel ram, amdx2 5200+. evga
>7800gt pci-e card. 2 wd 10k rpm 74gb in raid 0 on sata 1 and 2. 160gb drive
>on sata 3. dvdrw on ide, floppy drive too. bios is set correctly to boot
>from the raid 0. sata raid is enabled for sata1 and 2 and disabled for the
>rest. so the bios is set properly.
>
>in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the raid
>0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the dvd it
>won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing, intert system disk etc. shut down
>won't work nor will restart. if i say restart then the monitor goes black as
>it looses signal, nothing else happens. same thing for shut down.
>
>can anyone please help me out?

Which disk does the Disk Management snap-in identify as containing the
system partition? That's the disk that the BIOS should boot.
Don

AMD wrote:
> in the vista install it finds the hard drives fine. so i install to the raid
> 0 drives. it boots fine after the install. as soon as i take out the dvd it
> won't boot anymore. says boot mgr missing...

I see you've already had several replies, but I think Richard Urban's
advice is most likely to be correct, so give it a go.