Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007

John Monahan

Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007
This is a repost of something I put up a while back and got no response!
Would like to try again. Hopefully somebody out there has an idea or
suggestion. Her goes:-

I have a problem with Office 2007 not responding when I come back from sleep
mode under Vista (Business edition). If I launch these programs after
returning from sleep
mode they sometimes just hang. It unfortunately is not consistent.
Sometimes they
work OK more othen not. It sels to be a function of how long Vista is in
sleep mode. It seems to require at least a few hours. They work perfectly
with a "normal" startup.

If I try and cancel the program they hang. The top Window Caption bar says
"Not Responding". Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding".
Using the "End tread" option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try and
shut down Vista the whole thing takes 2 minutes. It does not seem to be an
Internet reconnect problem because I can use IE7 to get out fine.

Most interestingly I did not have this problem with Office 2003 on this
exactly same hardware hardware setup or earlier under Windows XP.

Please help. This is very frustrating.

Paul Smith

Re: Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007
Hmmm, try setting the default printer to something other than your real
printer (assuming you have one) like XPS document writer, or Office Live
meeting writer or similar.

See if it still hangs then. I've noticed Word sometimes hangs up for a few
seconds (sometimes falling over in the process) when it connects up to my
network printer.

May be some of the Office MVPs can enlighten us. :-)

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
> This is a repost of something I put up a while back and got no response!
> Would like to try again. Hopefully somebody out there has an idea or
> suggestion. Her goes:-
>
> I have a problem with Office 2007 not responding when I come back from
> sleep mode under Vista (Business edition). If I launch these programs
> after returning from sleep
> mode they sometimes just hang. It unfortunately is not consistent.
> Sometimes they
> work OK more othen not. It sels to be a function of how long Vista is in
> sleep mode. It seems to require at least a few hours. They work perfectly
> with a "normal" startup.
>
> If I try and cancel the program they hang. The top Window Caption bar says
> "Not Responding". Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding".
> Using the "End tread" option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try
> and
> shut down Vista the whole thing takes 2 minutes. It does not seem to be an
> Internet reconnect problem because I can use IE7 to get out fine.
>
> Most interestingly I did not have this problem with Office 2003 on this
> exactly same hardware hardware setup or earlier under Windows XP.
>
> Please help. This is very frustrating.

Betatester

Re: Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007
Go to microsoft download section choice office 2007 an there are fix for
this problem on web site i dont remember the kb but there are fix for that.

Cherrs.Have a good day

"John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> a écrit dans le message de
> This is a repost of something I put up a while back and got no response!
> Would like to try again. Hopefully somebody out there has an idea or
> suggestion. Her goes:-
>
> I have a problem with Office 2007 not responding when I come back from
> sleep mode under Vista (Business edition). If I launch these programs
> after returning from sleep
> mode they sometimes just hang. It unfortunately is not consistent.
> Sometimes they
> work OK more othen not. It sels to be a function of how long Vista is in
> sleep mode. It seems to require at least a few hours. They work perfectly
> with a "normal" startup.
>
> If I try and cancel the program they hang. The top Window Caption bar says
> "Not Responding". Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding".
> Using the "End tread" option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try
> and
> shut down Vista the whole thing takes 2 minutes. It does not seem to be an
> Internet reconnect problem because I can use IE7 to get out fine.
>
> Most interestingly I did not have this problem with Office 2003 on this
> exactly same hardware hardware setup or earlier under Windows XP.
>
> Please help. This is very frustrating.

Chad Harris

Re: Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007
Hi John--

Probably not but just in case this applies to you:

File Open dialog box in Office appears slowly on a VAX drive
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831024/en-us#appliesto

You also could change your power settings from hibernate to something else
that suits you and see if that remedies this.

Good luck,

CH

"John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
> This is a repost of something I put up a while back and got no response!
> Would like to try again. Hopefully somebody out there has an idea or
> suggestion. Her goes:-
>
> I have a problem with Office 2007 not responding when I come back from
> sleep mode under Vista (Business edition). If I launch these programs
> after returning from sleep
> mode they sometimes just hang. It unfortunately is not consistent.
> Sometimes they
> work OK more othen not. It sels to be a function of how long Vista is in
> sleep mode. It seems to require at least a few hours. They work perfectly
> with a "normal" startup.
>
> If I try and cancel the program they hang. The top Window Caption bar says
> "Not Responding". Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding".
> Using the "End tread" option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try
> and
> shut down Vista the whole thing takes 2 minutes. It does not seem to be an
> Internet reconnect problem because I can use IE7 to get out fine.
>
> Most interestingly I did not have this problem with Office 2003 on this
> exactly same hardware hardware setup or earlier under Windows XP.
>
> Please help. This is very frustrating.

Joe Guidera

Re: Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007
In addition to what others might have suggested there are a number of known
issues with Windows Vista and sleep/hibernate/standby that are similar in
nature to the problem you describe. Unfortunately, none exactly match the
description you have provided. After returning from standby check the event
log to see if anything is listed in the system log in regards to devices not
properly returning from standby.

By chance do you have an external USB keyboard/mouse installed? If so, that
may be the cause (.e.g the USB bus isn't properly returning from standby and
as a result causes what appears to be problems with applications hanging).

Joe

> This is a repost of something I put up a while back and got no response!
> Would like to try again. Hopefully somebody out there has an idea or
> suggestion. Her goes:-
>
> I have a problem with Office 2007 not responding when I come back from
> sleep mode under Vista (Business edition). If I launch these programs
> after returning from sleep
> mode they sometimes just hang. It unfortunately is not consistent.
> Sometimes they
> work OK more othen not. It sels to be a function of how long Vista is in
> sleep mode. It seems to require at least a few hours. They work perfectly
> with a "normal" startup.
>
> If I try and cancel the program they hang. The top Window Caption bar says
> "Not Responding". Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding".
> Using the "End tread" option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try
> and
> shut down Vista the whole thing takes 2 minutes. It does not seem to be an
> Internet reconnect problem because I can use IE7 to get out fine.
>
> Most interestingly I did not have this problem with Office 2003 on this
> exactly same hardware hardware setup or earlier under Windows XP.
>
> Please help. This is very frustrating.

John Monahan

Re: Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007
Can anybody else find this fix. I cannot find anything

"Betatester" <tahiti_test@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
newsC1B7B1B-A809-4343-882B-A82C3F11B2FF@microsoft.com...
> Go to microsoft download section choice office 2007 an there are fix for
> this problem on web site i dont remember the kb but there are fix for
> that.
>
> Cherrs.Have a good day
>
> "John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> a écrit dans le message de
>> This is a repost of something I put up a while back and got no response!
>> Would like to try again. Hopefully somebody out there has an idea or
>> suggestion. Her goes:-
>>
>> I have a problem with Office 2007 not responding when I come back from
>> sleep mode under Vista (Business edition). If I launch these programs
>> after returning from sleep
>> mode they sometimes just hang. It unfortunately is not consistent.
>> Sometimes they
>> work OK more othen not. It sels to be a function of how long Vista is in
>> sleep mode. It seems to require at least a few hours. They work perfectly
>> with a "normal" startup.
>>
>> If I try and cancel the program they hang. The top Window Caption bar
>> says
>> "Not Responding". Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding".
>> Using the "End tread" option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try
>> and
>> shut down Vista the whole thing takes 2 minutes. It does not seem to be
>> an
>> Internet reconnect problem because I can use IE7 to get out fine.
>>
>> Most interestingly I did not have this problem with Office 2003 on this
>> exactly same hardware hardware setup or earlier under Windows XP.
>>
>> Please help. This is very frustrating.

John Monahan

Re: Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007
No I don't have a USB keyboard. Also this seems to be Office 2007 specific
as I had no problem with Office 2003 or any other programs.

"Joe Guidera" <jguidera@remove.msn.com> wrote in message
> In addition to what others might have suggested there are a number of
> known issues with Windows Vista and sleep/hibernate/standby that are
> similar in nature to the problem you describe. Unfortunately, none
> exactly match the description you have provided. After returning from
> standby check the event log to see if anything is listed in the system log
> in regards to devices not properly returning from standby.
>
> By chance do you have an external USB keyboard/mouse installed? If so,
> that may be the cause (.e.g the USB bus isn't properly returning from
> standby and as a result causes what appears to be problems with
> applications hanging).
>
> Joe
>
> "John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
>> This is a repost of something I put up a while back and got no response!
>> Would like to try again. Hopefully somebody out there has an idea or
>> suggestion. Her goes:-
>>
>> I have a problem with Office 2007 not responding when I come back from
>> sleep mode under Vista (Business edition). If I launch these programs
>> after returning from sleep
>> mode they sometimes just hang. It unfortunately is not consistent.
>> Sometimes they
>> work OK more othen not. It sels to be a function of how long Vista is in
>> sleep mode. It seems to require at least a few hours. They work perfectly
>> with a "normal" startup.
>>
>> If I try and cancel the program they hang. The top Window Caption bar
>> says
>> "Not Responding". Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding".
>> Using the "End tread" option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try
>> and
>> shut down Vista the whole thing takes 2 minutes. It does not seem to be
>> an
>> Internet reconnect problem because I can use IE7 to get out fine.
>>
>> Most interestingly I did not have this problem with Office 2003 on this
>> exactly same hardware hardware setup or earlier under Windows XP.
>>
>> Please help. This is very frustrating.

Joe Guidera

Re: Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007
If this only occurs with Office 2007 and not any other application then you
probably have an add-in that isn't behaving properly when you resume from
standby or hibernation. Using the trust center in Office 2007 disable any
third-party add-ins and see if the problem resolves itself. A likely
cuplrit from past experience is the bluetooth add-in.

Joe

> No I don't have a USB keyboard. Also this seems to be Office 2007 specific
> as I had no problem with Office 2003 or any other programs.
>
> "Joe Guidera" <jguidera@remove.msn.com> wrote in message
>> In addition to what others might have suggested there are a number of
>> known issues with Windows Vista and sleep/hibernate/standby that are
>> similar in nature to the problem you describe. Unfortunately, none
>> exactly match the description you have provided. After returning from
>> standby check the event log to see if anything is listed in the system
>> log in regards to devices not properly returning from standby.
>>
>> By chance do you have an external USB keyboard/mouse installed? If so,
>> that may be the cause (.e.g the USB bus isn't properly returning from
>> standby and as a result causes what appears to be problems with
>> applications hanging).
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> "John Monahan" <monahan@vitasoft.org> wrote in message
>>> This is a repost of something I put up a while back and got no response!
>>> Would like to try again. Hopefully somebody out there has an idea or
>>> suggestion. Her goes:-
>>>
>>> I have a problem with Office 2007 not responding when I come back from
>>> sleep mode under Vista (Business edition). If I launch these programs
>>> after returning from sleep
>>> mode they sometimes just hang. It unfortunately is not consistent.
>>> Sometimes they
>>> work OK more othen not. It sels to be a function of how long Vista is in
>>> sleep mode. It seems to require at least a few hours. They work
>>> perfectly with a "normal" startup.
>>>
>>> If I try and cancel the program they hang. The top Window Caption bar
>>> says
>>> "Not Responding". Ctrl+Alt+Del shows up as the tread "Not responding".
>>> Using the "End tread" option takes a few minutes to close. Even if I try
>>> and
>>> shut down Vista the whole thing takes 2 minutes. It does not seem to be
>>> an
>>> Internet reconnect problem because I can use IE7 to get out fine.
>>>
>>> Most interestingly I did not have this problem with Office 2003 on this
>>> exactly same hardware hardware setup or earlier under Windows XP.
>>>
>>> Please help. This is very frustrating.

John Monahan

Re: Vista Sleep Mode and Office 2007
Betamaster afet a few weeks searching I cannot solve this problem. Any
chance you could locate the download you mention.