Upgrading to Vista

=?Utf-8?B?S2F5bGE=?=

Upgrading to Vista
I'm trying to upgrade from XP to Vista. The installation interrupts saying I
have to convert from FAT32 to NTFS in Command Prompt. When i try to do this
I keep getting an error message "Conversion from FAT32 to NTFS. Volume not
available." Someone responded to my request for help earlier, saying to
restart in "prompt mode" I don't know if this is what I need to do, but I
would really appreciate someone telling me the correct thing to do and
specifically, step by step how to do it. Help!!!!!
Rock

Re: Upgrading to Vista
"Kayla" <Kayla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> I'm trying to upgrade from XP to Vista. The installation interrupts
> saying I
> have to convert from FAT32 to NTFS in Command Prompt. When i try to do
> this
> I keep getting an error message "Conversion from FAT32 to NTFS. Volume not
> available." Someone responded to my request for help earlier, saying to
> restart in "prompt mode" I don't know if this is what I need to do, but I
> would really appreciate someone telling me the correct thing to do and
> specifically, step by step how to do it. Help!!!!!

Kayla, you started a thread on this yesterday, and I replied with a link to
an article on doing the conversion. Did you see that link?

Please keep within the original thread rather than creating a new one, to
keep the history of what was suggested and tried.

If you can't find a previous post search for it using Google Groups Advanced
Search. Search in this newsgroup,
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup with your name as author.
Here is a link to Google Groups Advanced Search.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...oe=UTF-8&hl=en

As to your comment about prompt mode, there is no such thing. There is safe
mode and a command prompt. You probably mean command prompt, which is where
one would type the command to convert to NTFS. To get to a command prompt
go to Start | Run. Type in cmd, click ok. That is command prompt.

Find your previous thread, go to that link I gave and see if that helps.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

computergenie

Re: Upgrading to Vista
Hi,

Vista Only Supports NTFS. Before you install Vista you need to convert it to
NTFS.

1) Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt (or, from a Run box,
type CMD)

2) In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

Where it says: convert drive_letter: that is where you put drive letter.
This is usually C, So if it is drive letter C - You would Type: C:
/fs:ntfs

You will probably have to confirm by pressing Y and it may not convert until
you next restart your computer as it is the main drive.

Hope This Helps!

"Kayla" <Kayla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to upgrade from XP to Vista. The installation interrupts
> saying I
> have to convert from FAT32 to NTFS in Command Prompt. When i try to do
> this
> I keep getting an error message "Conversion from FAT32 to NTFS. Volume not
> available." Someone responded to my request for help earlier, saying to
> restart in "prompt mode" I don't know if this is what I need to do, but I
> would really appreciate someone telling me the correct thing to do and
> specifically, step by step how to do it. Help!!!!!

Tim Rogers

Re: Upgrading to Vista

"computergenie" <pc.genie@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Vista Only Supports NTFS. Before you install Vista you need to convert it
> to NTFS.
>
> 1) Start | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt (or, from a Run
> box, type CMD)
>
> 2) In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs
>
> Where it says: convert drive_letter: that is where you put drive letter.
> This is usually C, So if it is drive letter C - You would Type: C:
> /fs:ntfs
>
> You will probably have to confirm by pressing Y and it may not convert
> until you next restart your computer as it is the main drive.
>
> Hope This Helps!

My vista upgrade would not work (failed at the last install stage and I've
gone back to XP) but my ACER laptop has a partitioned drive. Drive C is now
NTFS but Drive D is FAT. Is that a possible reason for the failure. I am a
relative novice to this process.

Tim