Help for newbie needed please

=?Utf-8?B?U2FyYWg=?=

Help for newbie needed please
we have just got a new pc with vista pre loaded, but no instalation disks, if
i wanted to re format and re partition the drives is there any way of
reloading vista without the instalation disks, i created a backup on first
running vista will this do the trick or am i best not to do the re-partition
incase of loosing vista. thanks
Mike Hall

Re: Help for newbie needed please
Best to contact the vendor and either ask for a recovery set, and/or ask
what provision they make for recovery of your system 'back to factory'..
btw, have you looked through any documentation supplied with your new
computer?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Sunny

Re: Help for newbie needed please

"Sarah" <Sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF3BD27E-37EA-4D83-B55B-B817AED4BB20@microsoft.com...
| we have just got a new pc with vista pre loaded, but no instalation disks, if
| i wanted to re format and re partition the drives is there any way of
| reloading vista without the instalation disks, i created a backup on first
| running vista will this do the trick or am i best not to do the re-partition
| incase of loosing vista. thanks

Was the PC a "Dell" ? Started a friend off on their new Dell yesterday, and noticed that they had included the "OEM CD" as a partition "D" on the hard drive.
The only OS type CD Supplied was a "Dell Utilities and drivers" (Hopefully bootable, with instructions how to "recover" to a reformatted "C" partition. :-)
=?Utf-8?B?U2FyYWg=?=

Re: Help for newbie needed please
there was very minimal documentation, garentee and health and safety info and
that was it no info booklet etc at all

"Mike Hall" wrote:

> Best to contact the vendor and either ask for a recovery set, and/or ask
> what provision they make for recovery of your system 'back to factory'..
> btw, have you looked through any documentation supplied with your new
> computer?
>

> "Sarah" <Sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > we have just got a new pc with vista pre loaded, but no instalation disks,
> > if
> > i wanted to re format and re partition the drives is there any way of
> > reloading vista without the instalation disks, i created a backup on first
> > running vista will this do the trick or am i best not to do the
> > re-partition
> > incase of loosing vista. thanks

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

=?Utf-8?B?U2FyYWg=?=

Re: Help for newbie needed please
no it's a acer t180

"Sunny" wrote:

> "Sarah" <Sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF3BD27E-37EA-4D83-B55B-B817AED4BB20@microsoft.com...
> | we have just got a new pc with vista pre loaded, but no instalation disks, if
> | i wanted to re format and re partition the drives is there any way of
> | reloading vista without the instalation disks, i created a backup on first
> | running vista will this do the trick or am i best not to do the re-partition
> | incase of loosing vista. thanks
>
> Was the PC a "Dell" ? Started a friend off on their new Dell yesterday, and noticed that they had included the "OEM CD" as a partition "D" on the hard drive.
> The only OS type CD Supplied was a "Dell Utilities and drivers" (Hopefully bootable, with instructions how to "recover" to a reformatted "C" partition. :-)

Don

Sarah wrote:
> we have just got a new pc with vista pre loaded, but no instalation disks, if
> i wanted to re format and re partition the drives is there any way of
> reloading vista without the instalation disks, i created a backup on first
> running vista will this do the trick or am i best not to do the re-partition
> incase of loosing vista. thanks

Reading between the lines, I sense an ulterior motive for your question
;o) If you'll tell us what you really want to accomplish, we can give
you better advice.

Mike Hall

Re: Help for newbie needed please
Sarah

This is the UK Acer website.. it has ACER contact info..

http://www.acer.co.uk/acereuro/page6...crc=3268984370

There is also a section called 'driver downloads, utilities and guides'

http://support.acer-euro.com/

You should find documentation regarding the recovery process and a whole lot
more in and amongst stuff here

Good Luck..

> there was very minimal documentation, garentee and health and safety info
> and
> that was it no info booklet etc at all
>
> "Mike Hall" wrote:
>
>> Best to contact the vendor and either ask for a recovery set, and/or ask
>> what provision they make for recovery of your system 'back to factory'..
>> btw, have you looked through any documentation supplied with your new
>> computer?
>>

>> "Sarah" <Sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > we have just got a new pc with vista pre loaded, but no instalation
>> > disks,
>> > if
>> > i wanted to re format and re partition the drives is there any way of
>> > reloading vista without the instalation disks, i created a backup on
>> > first
>> > running vista will this do the trick or am i best not to do the
>> > re-partition
>> > incase of loosing vista. thanks

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Rock

Re: Help for newbie needed please
"Sarah" <Sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> we have just got a new pc with vista pre loaded, but no instalation disks,
> if
> i wanted to re format and re partition the drives is there any way of
> reloading vista without the instalation disks, i created a backup on first
> running vista will this do the trick or am i best not to do the
> re-partition
> incase of loosing vista. thanks

The computer manufacturer (OEM) is required to provide some means to restore
the system: either an installation DVD, a recovery CD/DVD and/or a hidden
partition on the hard drive. Contact the computer's tech support for info
on what they provide and how to use it.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

don't look

Re: Help for newbie needed please
Got this from here http://mindprod.com/jgloss/windowsvista.html

The most infuriating thing about Vista is the fraudluent alleged bundling of
Vista when you buy a new PC, e.g. from Acer. It does not actually include
Vista. Instead you get a pre-installed Vista and an inaccessible disk image
to restore the machine to factory conditions.

"don't look" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote
> Got this from here http://mindprod.com/jgloss/windowsvista.html
>
> The most infuriating thing about Vista is the fraudluent alleged bundling
> of
> Vista when you buy a new PC, e.g. from Acer. It does not actually include
> Vista. Instead you get a pre-installed Vista and an inaccessible disk
> image
> to restore the machine to factory conditions.

Why is this fraudulent? Yes it does include a version of Vista, an OEM
version. Additionally the computer maker is required to provide some means
to restore the system to the condition it was in when received from the
factory. They have three options for this and the OEM decides which one to
provide.

1. Installation DVD.
2. Recovery CD/DVD (often times in conjunction with #3.)
3. Recovery partition (sometimes hidden) on the hard drive which contains
an image of the drive as received from the factory.

If only #3 is present one invokes the recovery procedure by pressing a key
or key combination during startup. In any event check the computer
documentation or check with the computer tech support for the exact
procedure established by the OEM to restore the system.

This is the exact same situation as was the case for computers with XP
pre-installed by the OEM. Personally I do not like this process, and prefer
to have the installation DVD (for Vista) or CD (for XP), but it's not
fraudulent. The buyer needs to research what they are getting before the
purchase.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]