What MS could do about dual boot

Roedy Green

What MS could do about dual boot
MS is going to have all manner of problems with XP unaware of the new
Vista boot manager. Could they not update XP/Win2K to at least be
aware of them, and avoid clobbering them?
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
Richard G. Harper

Re: What MS could do about dual boot
Nope.

"Roedy Green" <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote in message
> MS is going to have all manner of problems with XP unaware of the new
> Vista boot manager. Could they not update XP/Win2K to at least be
> aware of them, and avoid clobbering them?
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossary
> http://mindprod.com

Rock

Re: What MS could do about dual boot
"Roedy Green" <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote
> MS is going to have all manner of problems with XP unaware of the new
> Vista boot manager. Could they not update XP/Win2K to at least be
> aware of them, and avoid clobbering them?
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossary
> http://mindprod.com

Many folks are dual booting and have been since Vista was released. Avoid
clobbering what? No matter the boot loader used, dual booting by whatever
means has to be set up properly.

If you want to make a suggestion to MS use this: mswish.microsoft.com

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rick Rogers

Re: What MS could do about dual boot
Hi,

Dual booters are a very small minority, and the majority of them use a third
party bootloader rather than rely on the ones supplied by the OS. Microsoft
doesn't see this as a problem as their OS's are not designed for multiboot
configurations.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Roedy Green" <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote in message
> MS is going to have all manner of problems with XP unaware of the new
> Vista boot manager. Could they not update XP/Win2K to at least be
> aware of them, and avoid clobbering them?
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossary
> http://mindprod.com

don't look

Re: What MS could do about dual boot
What 3rd party disk manager works with Vista and W2k?

> Hi,
>
> Dual booters are a very small minority, and the majority of them use a

third
> party bootloader rather than rely on the ones supplied by the OS.

Microsoft
> doesn't see this as a problem as their OS's are not designed for multiboot
> configurations.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Roedy Green" <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > MS is going to have all manner of problems with XP unaware of the new
> > Vista boot manager. Could they not update XP/Win2K to at least be
> > aware of them, and avoid clobbering them?
> > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> > The Java Glossary
> > http://mindprod.com

Rock

Re: What MS could do about dual boot
"don't look" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote
> What 3rd party disk manager works with Vista and W2k?

BootIt NG and Acronis Disk Director Suite both work with Vista. Check on
their web sites to see if they are also compatible with Win2k.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rick Rogers

Re: What MS could do about dual boot
They both are.

--

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "don't look" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote
>> What 3rd party disk manager works with Vista and W2k?

> BootIt NG and Acronis Disk Director Suite both work with Vista. Check on
> their web sites to see if they are also compatible with Win2k.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

don't look

Re: What MS could do about dual boot

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "don't look" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote
> > What 3rd party disk manager works with Vista and W2k?

> BootIt NG and Acronis Disk Director Suite both work with Vista. Check on
> their web sites to see if they are also compatible with Win2k.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Thanks

Rock

Re: What MS could do about dual boot
"don't look" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote

> "Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote
>> "don't look" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote
>> > What 3rd party disk manager works with Vista and W2k?

>> BootIt NG and Acronis Disk Director Suite both work with Vista. Check on
>> their web sites to see if they are also compatible with Win2k.

> Thanks

You're welcome.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Roedy Green

Re: What MS could do about dual boot
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:12:57 GMT, "don't look" <don't
look@worldnet.att.net> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>> BootIt NG and Acronis Disk Director Suite both work with Vista. Check on
>> their web sites to see if they are also compatible with Win2k.

I have spent many hours the past few days with both Acronis and BootIt
NG on Win2K, XP and Vista.

I could not, despite a lot of help from Acronis, get it to work on
Vista. It simply could not see my partitions as bootable.

Boot-It is more pedestrian, but it worked.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/bootmanager.html
for my notes.

Acronis has not given up, even though my trial has expired. They wrote
this morning asking me to hang in there.