acquiring bootsect.exe or Vista install DVD iso image?

Roedy Green

acquiring bootsect.exe or Vista install DVD iso image?
I bought an Acer desktop with OEM vista. It comes without a DVD and
without BOOTSECT.exe the utility to fix boot sectors and patch them
back to Vista's multiboot scheme damaged by other multiboot programs.

Is there a way to download BOOTSECT.exe somewhere or the ISO image of
an install DVD?

MS offers a CD collection install discs for $13 but not the convenient
single DVD.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...a/default.mspx
Acer has just ignored my many emails.

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
Don

Re: acquiring bootsect.exe or Vista install DVD iso image?
"Roedy Green" <see_website@mindprod.com.invalid> wrote in message
newsl8n23950r0ggkfgh4ofe88adhqv39ot71@4ax.com...
>I bought an Acer desktop with OEM vista. It comes without a DVD and
> without BOOTSECT.exe the utility to fix boot sectors and patch them
> back to Vista's multiboot scheme damaged by other multiboot programs.
>
> Is there a way to download BOOTSECT.exe somewhere or the ISO image of
> an install DVD?...

If you really need just that one file I'd be happy to email it to you or
upload it to an ftp site.
It's only 86KB. (There is one version for x86 and another for x64
machines.)

It really would be nice to download these utilities directly from MS,
though.

Roedy Green

Re: acquiring bootsect.exe or Vista install DVD iso image?
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:50:33 -0800, "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com>

>If you really need just that one file I'd be happy to email it to you or
>upload it to an ftp site.
>It's only 86KB. (There is one version for x86 and another for x64
>machines.)
>
>It really would be nice to download these utilities directly from MS,
>though.

thanks for the offer. A friend did just that already.
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
Newbie

dshakya is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roedy Green View Post
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:50:33 -0800, "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com>

>If you really need just that one file I'd be happy to email it to you or
>upload it to an ftp site.
>It's only 86KB. (There is one version for x86 and another for x64
>machines.)
>
>It really would be nice to download these utilities directly from MS,
>though.

thanks for the offer. A friend did just that already.
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
Canadian Mind Products
Hi Don,

Could you please mail me a copy of bootsect.exe file. I ran into similay problem as Roedy.

Cheers
Deepak.

dshakya wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> Could you please mail me a copy of bootsect.exe file. I ran into
> similay problem as Roedy.

I discovered after I wrote that offer that bootsect.exe is supplied
as part of VistaBootPro (vistabootpro.org), so that's the easiest
and safest way to get it. It's an excellent tool in itself.

Newbie

dshakya is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you
Hi Don,

Thanks for the info.

Cheers
Deepak.
JamesR404

Re: acquiring bootsect.exe or Vista install DVD iso image?

Super, thanks for the link to www.vistabootpro.org. I'll use that

Note I found the file here too, but considering it's not an official
source it may contain virusses...
http://www.2shared.com/file/2585881/.../bootsect.html

and here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/21096766...ml?err=no-sess

--
JamesR404
JamesR404's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/57388.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

James Matthews

Re: acquiring bootsect.exe or Vista install DVD iso image?
As a side note how is it possible for a virus to be written to the boot
sector in windows Vista?

--

http://www.astorandblack.com/

"JamesR404" <JamesR404.3sc6bb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Super, thanks for the link to www.vistabootpro.org. I'll use that
>
> Note I found the file here too, but considering it's not an official
> source it may contain virusses...
> http://www.2shared.com/file/2585881/.../bootsect.html
>
> and here:
> http://www.4shared.com/file/21096766...ml?err=no-sess
>

> --
> JamesR404
> JamesR404's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/57388.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/733922.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Chad Harris

"James Matthews" <jamesmatt18@gmail.com> wrote in message
> As a side note how is it possible for a virus to be written to the boot
> sector in windows Vista?
>

> --
>
> http://www.astorandblack.com/
>
> "JamesR404" <JamesR404.3sc6bb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Super, thanks for the link to www.vistabootpro.org. I'll use that
>>
>> Note I found the file here too, but considering it's not an official
>> source it may contain virusses...
>> http://www.2shared.com/file/2585881/.../bootsect.html
>>
>> and here:
>> http://www.4shared.com/file/21096766...ml?err=no-sess
>>

>> --
>> JamesR404
>> JamesR404's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/57388.htm
>> View this thread:
>> http://forums.techarena.in/vista-set...all/733922.htm
>>
>> http://forums.techarena.in

Hi James--

Say Hi to Stoned Angelina. Old viruses never die. They just come back
stoned.

A boot sector virus can occur on any OS.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09...oned_angelina/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04...iew/print.html

Best,

CH