Re: Do I have to install my Windows Express Upgrade immediately?

PA Bear

Re: Do I have to install my Windows Express Upgrade immediately?
Forwarded to Vista Installation & Set Up newsgroup since the question has
nothing to do with Windows /Update/ (vs /upgrading/ Windows).
--
~PA Bear

DemonAts wrote:
> Ok, so I have recently received my windows express upgrade from Cyberpower
> in the mail. So this has brought forth a lot of questions from my parents
> and me. First my parents think I should wait until they come out with more
> drivers and updates for Windows Vista, so any excuses for not waiting
> would
> be great, unfortunately the immense amount of computer gaming options has
> not been considered a plus for them. Second I want to know if there are
> any
> penalties for waiting, already my clock that receives updates from Windows
> has begun malfunctioning about the time when I knew my express upgrade was
> sent. So many more problems could begin to surface themselves with the COA
> number and Ip address of my computer the longer I wait. Finally I was
> really
> wondering how much the drivers and updates will change in time and if
> there
> are really that many issues with Windows Vista right now. This whole
> phobia
> of using it in the media and from small retailers has turned many people
> off
> and I don't want to be misled. Thank you for your time and any information
> would be greatly appreciated.

Rock

Re: Do I have to install my Windows Express Upgrade immediately?
"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote

> Forwarded to Vista Installation & Set Up newsgroup since the question has
> nothing to do with Windows /Update/ (vs /upgrading/ Windows).
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> DemonAts wrote:
>> Ok, so I have recently received my windows express upgrade from
>> Cyberpower
>> in the mail. So this has brought forth a lot of questions from my parents
>> and me. First my parents think I should wait until they come out with
>> more
>> drivers and updates for Windows Vista, so any excuses for not waiting
>> would
>> be great, unfortunately the immense amount of computer gaming options has
>> not been considered a plus for them.

Only upgrade if you have a reason. Vista has a lot of nice features but
there is a shortage of drivers right now. You need to do some research. Is
the computer compatible with Vista? Check on the computer manufacturer's
web site for Vista info and for drivers. Do you have Vista drivers for all
the hardware? Have you checked the web sites for all the software you want
to run in Vista to see about compabilitity. Don't just rely on the upgrade
advisor. Do your research. Only you can make a decision if upgrading is
the right thing.

>> Second I want to know if there are any
>> penalties for waiting,

Penalties? No, you there is no time limit on applying the upgrade.

>> already my clock that receives updates from Windows
>> has begun malfunctioning about the time when I knew my express upgrade
>> was
>> sent. So many more problems could begin to surface themselves with the
>> COA
>> number and Ip address of my computer the longer I wait.

I have no idea what you mean here. It makes no sense. What clock? What
problems with COA numbers. You need to be specific.

>> Finally I was really
>> wondering how much the drivers and updates will change in time and if
>> there
>> are really that many issues with Windows Vista right now. This whole
>> phobia
>> of using it in the media and from small retailers has turned many people
>> off
>> and I don't want to be misled. Thank you for your time and any
>> information
>> would be greatly appreciated.

As I said earlier, do some research and be prepared. It runs great on this
system that is almost 5 years old, P4 2.53 GHz with 1GB RAM, not state of
the art by any means but it has been problem free. Read the newsgroups for
tips on the best way to install Vista. Backup the data. Get a drive
imaging program such as Acronis True Image Home, version 10 to image the
current installation to an external USB drive so you can recover quickly if
there are problems.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?RGVtb25BdHM=?=

Re: Do I have to install my Windows Express Upgrade immediately?
Thanks for the information rock it was helpful for at least me personally,
but it really doesn't solve my problem. I guess this is the wrong place to
ask this but can anyone give me some resources as to why I should download
vista?

"Rock" wrote:

> [...]

> >> there
> >> are really that many issues with Windows Vista right now. This whole
> >> phobia
> >> of using it in the media and from small retailers has turned many people
> >> off
> >> and I don't want to be misled. Thank you for your time and any
> >> information
> >> would be greatly appreciated.

> As I said earlier, do some research and be prepared. It runs great on this
> system that is almost 5 years old, P4 2.53 GHz with 1GB RAM, not state of
> the art by any means but it has been problem free. Read the newsgroups for
> tips on the best way to install Vista. Backup the data. Get a drive
> imaging program such as Acronis True Image Home, version 10 to image the
> current installation to an external USB drive so you can recover quickly if

PA Bear

Re: Do I have to install my Windows Express Upgrade immediately?
See the links in this Search result: http://snipurl.com/1hl6h
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

DemonAts wrote:
> Thanks for the information rock it was helpful for at least me personally,
> but it really doesn't solve my problem. I guess this is the wrong place to
> ask this but can anyone give me some resources as to why I should download
> vista?
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote
>>
>>> Forwarded to Vista Installation & Set Up newsgroup since the question
>>> has
>>> nothing to do with Windows /Update/ (vs /upgrading/ Windows).
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

>> Only upgrade if you have a reason. Vista has a lot of nice features but
>> there is a shortage of drivers right now. You need to do some research.
>> Is the computer compatible with Vista? Check on the computer
>> manufacturer's web site for Vista info and for drivers. Do you have
>> Vista
>> drivers for all the hardware? Have you checked the web sites for all the
>> software you want to run in Vista to see about compabilitity. Don't just
>> rely on the upgrade advisor. Do your research. Only you can make a
>> decision if upgrading is the right thing.

>> Penalties? No, you there is no time limit on applying the upgrade.

>> I have no idea what you mean here. It makes no sense. What clock? What
>> problems with COA numbers. You need to be specific.

>> As I said earlier, do some research and be prepared. It runs great on
>> this
>> system that is almost 5 years old, P4 2.53 GHz with 1GB RAM, not state of
>> the art by any means but it has been problem free. Read the newsgroups
>> for
>> tips on the best way to install Vista. Backup the data. Get a drive
>> imaging program such as Acronis True Image Home, version 10 to image the
>> current installation to an external USB drive so you can recover quickly
>> if
>> there are problems.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Charles W Davis

Re: Do I have to install my Windows Express Upgrade immediately?
DemonAts,

To put it bluntly, if you have to ask, don't. If an upgrade is necessary,
you already know the answer.