Create Logical Partition in C:?

=?Utf-8?B?U2FwYW4=?=

Create Logical Partition in C:?
Hiya,

When I received Dell Laptop, there are already four partitions in the laptop
Harddisk.. 1. EISA Configuration (about 100 MB), 2. Primary Partition – I
don’t know for what (2 GB), 3. Priimary Partition – C: ‘Vista OS’ (About 100
GB), 4. Primary Partition – D: ‘Recovery’... (10 GB)..

Now, I want to create one more logical partition – just for backup... I
don’t know much about Vista & EISA – so please suggest how can I divide ‘C:’
into the two partitions – use the Primary one to install Vista (about 50GB) &
remaining space for logical partition..? Is it possible..??

Please suggest..

Many thanks in advance,
Sapan

Don

Re: Create Logical Partition in C:?
Sapan wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> When I received Dell Laptop, there are already four partitions in the laptop
> Harddisk.. 1. EISA Configuration (about 100 MB), 2. Primary Partition – I
> don’t know for what (2 GB), 3. Priimary Partition – C: ‘Vista OS’ (About 100
> GB), 4. Primary Partition – D: ‘Recovery’... (10 GB)..
>
> Now, I want to create one more logical partition – just for backup... I
> don’t know much about Vista & EISA – so please suggest how can I divide ‘C:’
> into the two partitions – use the Primary one to install Vista (about 50GB) &
> remaining space for logical partition..? Is it possible..??

Yes, but Vista apparently won't shrink its own partition, so you need to
use a third-party program like Acronis Disk Director or BootItNG. I use
Disk Director so I know it will do what you want. You can use it 30
days for free, according to their website.

Charles W Davis

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sapan wrote:
>> Hiya,
>>
>> When I received Dell Laptop, there are already four partitions in the
>> laptop
>> Harddisk.. 1. EISA Configuration (about 100 MB), 2. Primary Partition – I
>> don’t know for what (2 GB), 3. Priimary Partition – C: ‘Vista OS’ (About
>> 100
>> GB), 4. Primary Partition – D: ‘Recovery’... (10 GB)..
>>
>> Now, I want to create one more logical partition – just for backup... I
>> don’t know much about Vista & EISA – so please suggest how can I divide
>> ‘C:’
>> into the two partitions – use the Primary one to install Vista (about
>> 50GB) &
>> remaining space for logical partition..? Is it possible..??

> Yes, but Vista apparently won't shrink its own partition, so you need to
> use a third-party program like Acronis Disk Director or BootItNG. I use
> Disk Director so I know it will do what you want. You can use it 30
> days for free, according to their website.

Back up to another partition? It makes no sense. You back up to an external
device, or at least to another hard drive. Should your main drive go south,
it makes no difference which partition it is on, they all go south at the
same time.

...winston

Re: Create Logical Partition in C:?
Backups or images should be external and should always be the preferred or
recommended when dealing in an absolute sense. If you're like me you
probably have/had backups/images now or at one time or another on slave
drives, external usb drives and/or cd/dvd media.

Its also fine to deal in the practical sense with a backup to spare
partition then copy to external(usb drive, cd, dvd). The practical approach
has the disadvantage of not being available if the drive dies, yet until
that happens the reality of not having to deal with external
media(especially in the op's laptop or travel situation) certainly can
warrant the approach.

..winston

"Charles W Davis" <Anthemwebs@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message

> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sapan wrote:
>>> Hiya,
>>>
>>> When I received Dell Laptop, there are already four partitions in the
>>> laptop
>>> Harddisk.. 1. EISA Configuration (about 100 MB), 2. Primary Partition -
>>> don't know for what (2 GB), 3. Priimary Partition - C: 'Vista OS' (About
>>> 100
>>> GB), 4. Primary Partition - D: 'Recovery'... (10 GB)..
>>>
>>> Now, I want to create one more logical partition - just for backup... I
>>> don't know much about Vista & EISA - so please suggest how can I divide
>>> 'C:'
>>> into the two partitions - use the Primary one to install Vista (about
>>> 50GB) &
>>> remaining space for logical partition..? Is it possible..??

>> Yes, but Vista apparently won't shrink its own partition, so you need to
>> use a third-party program like Acronis Disk Director or BootItNG. I use
>> Disk Director so I know it will do what you want. You can use it 30
>> days for free, according to their website.
>>

> Back up to another partition? It makes no sense. You back up to an
> external device, or at least to another hard drive. Should your main drive
> go south, it makes no difference which partition it is on, they all go
> south at the same time.

=?Utf-8?B?U2FwYW4=?=

Re: Create Logical Partition in C:?
Thanks a lot Don...

It worked perfectly..

"Don" wrote:

> Sapan wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > When I received Dell Laptop, there are already four partitions in the laptop
> > Harddisk.. 1. EISA Configuration (about 100 MB), 2. Primary Partition – I
> > don’t know for what (2 GB), 3. Priimary Partition – C: ‘Vista OS’ (About 100
> > GB), 4. Primary Partition – D: ‘Recovery’... (10 GB)..
> >
> > Now, I want to create one more logical partition – just for backup... I
> > don’t know much about Vista & EISA – so please suggest how can I divide ‘C:’
> > into the two partitions – use the Primary one to install Vista (about 50GB) &
> > remaining space for logical partition..? Is it possible..??

> Yes, but Vista apparently won't shrink its own partition, so you need to
> use a third-party program like Acronis Disk Director or BootItNG. I use
> Disk Director so I know it will do what you want. You can use it 30
> days for free, according to their website.

=?Utf-8?B?U2FwYW4=?=

Re: Create Logical Partition in C:?
Charles & Wilson,

I agree that its always safe to keep back up on external drives - which I do
as well..

But, I also keep one extra partition on 'laptop' - which helped in past as
welll to take urgent back up when my my system-files got corrupted..

"...winston" wrote:

> Backups or images should be external and should always be the preferred or
> recommended when dealing in an absolute sense. If you're like me you
> probably have/had backups/images now or at one time or another on slave
> drives, external usb drives and/or cd/dvd media.
>
> Its also fine to deal in the practical sense with a backup to spare
> partition then copy to external(usb drive, cd, dvd). The practical approach
> has the disadvantage of not being available if the drive dies, yet until
> that happens the reality of not having to deal with external
> media(especially in the op's laptop or travel situation) certainly can
> warrant the approach.
>
> ..winston
>
> "Charles W Davis" <Anthemwebs@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Yes, but Vista apparently won't shrink its own partition, so you need to
> >> use a third-party program like Acronis Disk Director or BootItNG. I use
> >> Disk Director so I know it will do what you want. You can use it 30
> >> days for free, according to their website.
> >>

> > Back up to another partition? It makes no sense. You back up to an
> > external device, or at least to another hard drive. Should your main drive
> > go south, it makes no difference which partition it is on, they all go
> > south at the same time.

...winston

Re: Create Logical Partition in C:?
Mr.Wilson and Dennis are both glad you agree <g>
..winston

"Sapan" <Sapan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:392B6F73-2D35-42B5-9D68-476402342ED2@microsoft.com...
: Charles & Wilson,
: