Problem at Expanding Files

=?Utf-8?B?RGljaw==?=

Problem at Expanding Files
Hi Everyone,

I purchased a new HP Computer at Christmas time, which entitles me to a free
Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade. Once I started the upgrade process. I
choose to do a Clean Install instead of an Upgrade Install.

During the Clean Install everything was fine until the program was expanding
files. Once it was at 27% the following error message came up.

Installation was canceled install Windows

Windows could not prepare the computer to Boot into the next phase of
installation.
To install Windows, Restart the Install.

I did restart the install five times and I just can’t get pass the expanding
files at 27%.

I also used the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor which told me to remove my
Norton Internet Security 2007, which I did remove, this program.

I also used the HP Upgrade Assistant which said I needed to remove my
printer driver, which I did.

I hope someone can help! I did contact HP Windows Vista Express Tech Support
which told me to keep trying to install. It seems they just wanted to rush me
off the phone.

I have the following equipment;

Intel Core 2 Duo Proc. E6600 2.4 GHz
Windows XP Media Center
2 GB DDR2-667MHZ Dram (2x1024) Vista Capable
500GB RAIDO (2X250GB SATA HDDS)
Light scribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMultidrive
15-IN-1 MEMORYCARDREADER 3USB 1394, VIDEO
Single NTSC TV Tuner W/PVR&FM Tuner Remote
256MB NVIDA GEFORCE 7600GT, HD, 2 DVI
SoundBlaster AUDIGYX-FL, 24Bib XTREMEFID

Don

Re: Problem at Expanding Files
**** wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I purchased a new HP Computer at Christmas time, which entitles me to a free
> Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade. Once I started the upgrade process. I
> choose to do a Clean Install instead of an Upgrade Install.

I think that is a wise choice, but did you repartition and/or format the
disks, and if so, how did you do it?

> During the Clean Install everything was fine until the program was expanding
> files. Once it was at 27% the following error message came up.
> Windows could not prepare the computer to Boot into the next phase of
> installation....

I'd guess this is probably a driver problem

> I also used the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor which told me to remove my
> Norton Internet Security 2007, which I did remove, this program.
>
> I also used the HP Upgrade Assistant which said I needed to remove my
> printer driver, which I did....

Removing drivers from your XP partition won't make any difference if you
are doing a clean install to a separate partition.

> I have the following equipment;
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo Proc. E6600 2.4 GHz
> Windows XP Media Center
> 2 GB DDR2-667MHZ Dram (2x1024) Vista Capable
> 500GB RAIDO (2X250GB SATA HDDS)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This might be a candidate for your driver problem. What SATA controller
does your motherboard have, and have you checked to see if there are
Vista-compatible drivers for it?

As an aside: are you aware of all the implications of running RAID 0?

> Light scribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMultidrive
> 15-IN-1 MEMORYCARDREADER 3USB 1394, VIDEO
> Single NTSC TV Tuner W/PVR&FM Tuner Remote
> 256MB NVIDA GEFORCE 7600GT, HD, 2 DVI
> SoundBlaster AUDIGYX-FL, 24Bib XTREMEFID

You will want to disconnect/unplug/disable any devices you don't
absolutely need during the install, and reconnect them one by one
only after Vista is up and running. Drivers for gadgets are still
a source of problem during Vista installs.

=?Utf-8?B?RGljaw==?=

Re: Problem at Expanding Files
Thanks Don for the feedback I can really use the help!

The first question you asked was,

I think that is a wise choice, but did you repartition and/or format the
Disks, and if so, how did you do it?

No I did not format or repartition the disk. The disk is already partition
with a C: being about 490 GB of Storage & D: being 10 GB with HP Recovery
information.

Second Question:

This might be a candidate for your driver problem. What SATA controller
does your motherboard have, and have you checked to see if there are
Vista-compatible drivers for it?

I’m using Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option ROM v6.0.0.1022 ICH8R this is
what is display on the screen is when I boot up. This is the version I see
when I go to the device manager for SCSI and Raid Controller (Driver Version
6.0.1.1002)

I did find another driver version 6.2.1. 1002 which I think is the correct
one; I’m just not sure if this is the correct driver or what ICH8R means? I
will install this driver later today I can always roll it back as long as I
can access the hard drive.

Third Question:

As an aside: are you aware of all the implications of running RAID 0?

I have been told that RAID 0 will give me better performance and speed but
no redundancy of data. I am under the impression that the Intel Matrix
storage manager can do a RAID 5 which I might want to do down the road.

Fourth Question:

You will want to disconnect/unplug/disable any devices you don't
absolutely need during the install, and reconnect them one by one
only after Vista is up and running. Drivers for gadgets are still
a source of problem during Vista installs.

I did disconnect all devices from the computer all I have attached is the;

Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard and speakers.

Don, thanks again for your feedback, I will let you know how I made out later.
****

**** wrote:
> Thanks Don for the feedback I can really use the help!
>
> The first question you asked was,
>
> I think that is a wise choice, but did you repartition and/or format the
> Disks, and if so, how did you do it?
>
> No I did not format or repartition the disk. The disk is already partition
> with a C: being about 490 GB of Storage & D: being 10 GB with HP Recovery
> information.

Oops, wait. That doesn't fit with your stated goal of doing a clean
install. Your XP is already installed in C:, which uses up all of the
space on the disks. To do a truly clean install you must first shrink
the existing XP partition to free up space for a second, new, Vista
partition. AFAIK the only way to do that safely is to use a third-party
program like Acronis Disk Director or BootItNG. (Acronis will let you
try Disk Director free for 30 days.)

The second biggie you need to know is that to do a clean install using
an upgrade disk you must *not* enter your product key during the install
-- just skip that step. The resulting Vista will not be activated and
will expire in 30 days unless you do activate it. But meanwhile you can
test Vista and decide if it works well for you.

=?Utf-8?B?RGljaw==?=

Re: Problem at Expanding Files
Hi Don,

I’m not trying to setup a dual boot machine, I just trying to install Vista
on my c: and leave the D: with hp recovery software incase Vista doesn’t work
for me, I can always reinstall Windows XP.

How would you go about trying to find all the drivers for my computer?

Thanks for your help!

****

**** wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> I’m not trying to setup a dual boot machine, I just trying to install Vista
> on my c: and leave the D: with hp recovery software incase Vista doesn’t work
> for me, I can always reinstall Windows XP.

Well, okay, if you're certain the XP recovery will work )

> How would you go about trying to find all the drivers for my computer?

Generally speaking, driver updates come from the computer maker (hp) or
the maker of the individual components, like disk controllers, ethernet
cards, video cards, etc. I'd start with the hp website and use the chip
manufacturers as a secondary source for drivers.

Um, after re-reading your original post, I see that you are using the
Express upgrade, which I know nothing about. I seem to recall reading
that the Express upgrade is somehow different from using a standard
Vista install DVD. Can anyone else clarify this point for us?

Dick

Re: Problem at Expanding Files
Hi Don,

I have updated everything I could find to update but, I still can't get by
27% of expanding files.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks again for your help!

****