How does one utilize the 4 Virutal Machines that you are entitled to with Windows Vista Enterprise?

Brian Drab

How does one utilize the 4 Virutal Machines that you are entitled to with Windows Vista Enterprise?
We have purchased Windows Vista Enterprise with Software Assurance for our
IT Department. One of the reasons we did this was so that we would be able
to run up to 4 virtual machines with Windows Vista on them "for free" as
part of the licensing agreement. Awhile ago it was stated that Enterprise
users would get Virtual PC however this became free because of competition
from VMWare. Each time you install Vista you have to activate it and it
takes up a license so how do we go about getting the four Virtual Machines
that are available to us? Thank you.

Rock

Re: How does one utilize the 4 Virutal Machines that you are entitled to with Windows Vista Enterprise?
"Brian Drab" <kaplan@news.postalias> wrote
> We have purchased Windows Vista Enterprise with Software Assurance for our
> IT Department. One of the reasons we did this was so that we would be able
> to run up to 4 virtual machines with Windows Vista on them "for free" as
> part of the licensing agreement. Awhile ago it was stated that Enterprise
> users would get Virtual PC however this became free because of competition
> from VMWare. Each time you install Vista you have to activate it and it
> takes up a license so how do we go about getting the four Virtual Machines
> that are available to us? Thank you.

Contact the MS rep that you dealt with to get the Enterprise and SA
licenses.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

AJR

Re: How does one utilize the 4 Virutal Machines that you are entitled to with Windows Vista Enterprise?
Brian Drab - You are slightly confused. Virtual PC is "free" - keep in mind
reference to "PC". There is no OS included with "Virtual PC" - you must
install the OS. Each OS installation requires validation as if being
installed on a "normal" PC.

With Enterprise you can do four OS installations on four virtual PCS.

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Brian Drab" <kaplan@news.postalias> wrote
>> We have purchased Windows Vista Enterprise with Software Assurance for
>> our IT Department. One of the reasons we did this was so that we would be
>> able to run up to 4 virtual machines with Windows Vista on them "for
>> free" as part of the licensing agreement. Awhile ago it was stated that
>> Enterprise users would get Virtual PC however this became free because of
>> competition from VMWare. Each time you install Vista you have to activate
>> it and it takes up a license so how do we go about getting the four
>> Virtual Machines that are available to us? Thank you.

> Contact the MS rep that you dealt with to get the Enterprise and SA
> licenses.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Brian Drab

Re: How does one utilize the 4 Virutal Machines that you are entitled to with Windows Vista Enterprise?
Am I reading this wrong?

http://www.crn.com/it-channel/190302466

mikeyhsd

Re: How does one utilize the 4 Virutal Machines that you are entitled to with Windows Vista Enterprise?
sounds like you are correct. but would suggest talking to your ms rep to be sure.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Brian Drab" <kaplan@news.postalias> wrote in message news:193DFB1E-1269-4E51-B0A6-A092AA6C4FBA@microsoft.com...
Am I reading this wrong?

http://www.crn.com/it-channel/190302466

mikeyhsd

Re: How does one utilize the 4 Virutal Machines that you are entitled to with Windows Vista Enterprise?
have your rep give you a phone number to an english speaking person at ms.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net