Vista Business upgrade for XP Pro fails

=?Utf-8?B?RmFyc2xheWVy?=

Vista Business upgrade for XP Pro fails
I've tried time and again to get the upgrade to go, but it simply fails with
no error and says it can not continue. I have no compatibility issues
according to the setup program. It gets as far as copying all files to my
hard drive (which has plenty of room), and then bombs every time. Where in
the world are the log files and what the heck could be wrong?

Thanks!!!
Rock

Re: Vista Business upgrade for XP Pro fails
"Farslayer" <Farslayer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> I've tried time and again to get the upgrade to go, but it simply fails
> with
> no error and says it can not continue. I have no compatibility issues
> according to the setup program. It gets as far as copying all files to my
> hard drive (which has plenty of room), and then bombs every time. Where
> in
> the world are the log files and what the heck could be wrong?

You haven't provided much information. What is the computer hardware,
motherboard and chipset, type and amount of memory, type and configuration
of drives, and video card. With this info maybe someone has had experience
with it.

Was the XP installation running well with no problems? Did you uninstall
the following: AV program and any 3rd party firewalls, any system level
utilities such as partition magic and TweakUI, any CD burning software, any
other software that uses drivers, and any software flagged by the Upgrade
Advisor as potentially being a problem?

Remove all peripherals except one hard drive, monitor, mouse, keyboard and
DVD drive. Remove sound card and NIC, uninstall them from device manager.
Disable if these devices on the motherboard.

Have you checked with the computer manufacturer for info on upgrading to
Vista? Is it supported? Is the BIOS Vista compatible or is there an update
for it? Are there Vista compatible drivers for all the hardware? Just
don't rely on the Upgrade Advisor. Do some research on the hardware
manufacturer's web site. Same with software.

Do you have a backup of important data before doing this upgrade? I
recommend using a drive imaging program and imaging the XP installation to
an external hard drive before trying it.

If all else fails you might have to try a clean install.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]