NEW QUESTION:Operation Reinstallation: Follow Up-

=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGh5?=

NEW QUESTION:Operation Reinstallation: Follow Up-
,OK...so, I have reinstalled Home Premium on my computer, but have lost
access to the D: where it is partitioned iinto Music, Video, Pictures, and
Backups. Looking in disk management says it is offline and I have tryed to
put them back online. Tried Windows interface and command prompt, but no
luck! Stays stubbornly offline. Thankfully Windows.OLD has all my files and
settings, but the pictures, music and video loss would be more than just an
inconvenience. Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
koze

Re: NEW QUESTION:Operation Reinstallation: Follow Up-
Go to drivemanagement and let it populate and click on the tab online in
there.

Should do the trick!
Ko

"Smithy" <Smithy@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> ,OK...so, I have reinstalled Home Premium on my computer, but have lost
> access to the D: where it is partitioned iinto Music, Video, Pictures, and
> Backups. Looking in disk management says it is offline and I have tryed to
> put them back online. Tried Windows interface and command prompt, but no
> luck! Stays stubbornly offline. Thankfully Windows.OLD has all my files
> and
> settings, but the pictures, music and video loss would be more than just
> an
> inconvenience. Any tips?
>
> Thanks in advance!

=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGh5?=

Re: NEW QUESTION:Operation Reinstallation: Follow Up-
I do not understand what 'tab' you mean

"koze" wrote:

>click on the tab online

Just a few additional notes if it makes it easier for you or any others:
-This disk is dynamic
-It has an error symbol on the disk's icon in Disk Managment over on the
left (A red arrow pointing down)
-This dsk has not been reformatted in any way.

Rock

Re: NEW QUESTION:Operation Reinstallation: Follow Up-
"Smithy" <Smithy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> ,OK...so, I have reinstalled Home Premium on my computer, but have lost
> access to the D: where it is partitioned iinto Music, Video, Pictures, and
> Backups. Looking in disk management says it is offline and I have tryed to
> put them back online. Tried Windows interface and command prompt, but no
> luck! Stays stubbornly offline. Thankfully Windows.OLD has all my files
> and
> settings, but the pictures, music and video loss would be more than just
> an
> inconvenience. Any tips?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I saw your ping. Sorry Smithy I don't have any experience with Dynamic
disks or their problems in Vista. Why didn't you disconnect it during the
upgrade?

Anyway hopefully someone else will jump in here, but let me ask this one
last question. If you can't afford to loose that data, then isn't there a
backup for it?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGh5?=

Re: NEW QUESTION:Operation Reinstallation: Follow Up-
I didn't disconnect as I haven't yet opened a computer up and have a sort of
optimistic attitude that nothing will go wrong, (better let sleeping drives
lie!) but the D: drive serves primarily as a backup drive anyway, and that is
where I backed up all my files during the Windows installation, so I lost my
backups. hankfully, Windows.OLD pulled me out of a very sticky spot!

> Anyway hopefully someone else will jump in here, but let me ask this one
> last question. If you can't afford to loose that data, then isn't there a
> backup for it?

This data is mainly backus and media, so nothing is crucial, but nothings
been deleted, formatted or overwritten, so it's all stil there, I just can't
access it.

Thank you anyway,
Smithy
Rock

Re: NEW QUESTION:Operation Reinstallation: Follow Up-
"Smithy" <Smithy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>I didn't disconnect as I haven't yet opened a computer up and have a sort
>of
> optimistic attitude that nothing will go wrong, (better let sleeping
> drives
> lie!) but the D: drive serves primarily as a backup drive anyway, and that
> is
> where I backed up all my files during the Windows installation, so I lost
> my
> backups. hankfully, Windows.OLD pulled me out of a very sticky spot!
>
>> Anyway hopefully someone else will jump in here, but let me ask this one
>> last question. If you can't afford to loose that data, then isn't there
>> backup for it?

> This data is mainly backus and media, so nothing is crucial, but nothings
> been deleted, formatted or overwritten, so it's all stil there, I just
> can't
> access it.

Ok, sorry I can't help. Good luck.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

Re: NEW QUESTION:Operation Reinstallation: Follow Up-
might give this a try.

under Computer Management, Disk Management, right click on the drive and select MARK ACTIVE,.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Smithy" <Smithy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F607BEED-22FE-44B6-A012-0C1F935D7D8F@microsoft.com...
I didn't disconnect as I haven't yet opened a computer up and have a sort of
optimistic attitude that nothing will go wrong, (better let sleeping drives
lie!) but the D: drive serves primarily as a backup drive anyway, and that is
where I backed up all my files during the Windows installation, so I lost my
backups. hankfully, Windows.OLD pulled me out of a very sticky spot!

> Anyway hopefully someone else will jump in here, but let me ask this one
> last question. If you can't afford to loose that data, then isn't there a
> backup for it?

This data is mainly backus and media, so nothing is crucial, but nothings
been deleted, formatted or overwritten, so it's all stil there, I just can't
access it.

Thank you anyway,
Smithy
=?Utf-8?B?U21pdGh5?=

Re: NEW QUESTION:Operation Reinstallation: Follow Up-
There is not option to mark active, but there is this:

Convert to basic disk: I heardthat this is a one steo journey to losing all
the files on that drive

Properties: No useful options

and

Help: Not helping

Pity it didn't work, keep them coming in!