80070103 when installing Vista

Arun

80070103 when installing Vista
I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate on a Windows XP + SP2 machine which
has 91 GB free space and it's giving me the error as shown in the
attached image.

Googling did not help as this error code seems to be way too generic.

Any idea ?

-Arun

John Inzer

Re: 80070103 when installing Vista
Arun wrote:
> I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate on a Windows XP + SP2 machine
> which has 91 GB free space and it's giving me the error as shown in
> the attached image.
>
> Googling did not help as this error code seems to be way too generic.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> -Arun

========================

Don't know if these links will
help but might be worth a look:

Windows Update error
80070103
http://tinyurl.com/2ob7fh

Google Groups search
http://tinyurl.com/35wg5f

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

Don

Arun wrote:
> I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate on a Windows XP + SP2 machine which
> has 91 GB free space and it's giving me the error as shown in the
> attached image...

Is that 91GB of space in a formatted NTFS partition, or just unallocated
space on the drive (i.e. not in any existing partition)?

Are you trying to upgrade on top of your existing XP, or do a clean
install in a separate partition?

Arun

Re: 80070103 when installing Vista
>> I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate on a Windows XP + SP2 machine which
>> has 91 GB free space and it's giving me the error as shown in the
>> attached image...

> Is that 91GB of space in a formatted NTFS partition, or just unallocated
> space on the drive (i.e. not in any existing partition)?

This is where XP is installed on NTFS.

> Are you trying to upgrade on top of your existing XP, or do a clean
> install in a separate partition?

Upgrade on top of existing XP.

-Arun

Don

Arun wrote:
>>> I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate on a Windows XP + SP2 machine which
>>> has 91 GB free space and it's giving me the error as shown in the
>>> attached image...

>> Is that 91GB of space in a formatted NTFS partition, or just unallocated
>> space on the drive (i.e. not in any existing partition)?

> This is where XP is installed on NTFS.
>

>> Are you trying to upgrade on top of your existing XP, or do a clean
>> install in a separate partition?

> Upgrade on top of existing XP.

Hm. Well, I looked at the link John posted, which talks about
installing device drivers. That doesn't make much sense unless
the error message is completely misleading. That's certainly a
possibility.

Many people have posted here with strange install problems that
vanish when they tried a clean install instead of an upgrade.

That is what I would do in your situation, but maybe someone else
will have a better idea.

(You may legally do a clean install and use it for up to 30 days
without using your product key.)

Arun

Re: 80070103 when installing Vista
>>> Are you trying to upgrade on top of your existing XP, or do a clean
>>> install in a separate partition?

>> Upgrade on top of existing XP.

> Hm. Well, I looked at the link John posted, which talks about
> installing device drivers. That doesn't make much sense unless
> the error message is completely misleading. That's certainly a
> possibility.

Yeah, that's why I said the error is completely weird to me. I realized
my XP had some pending updates so I updated it. I've NVidia driver #
4.8.2.0.

BTW, manual update of driver instructions are broken.

> Many people have posted here with strange install problems that
> vanish when they tried a clean install instead of an upgrade.

I tried booting with the media and got exactly the same error.

> That is what I would do in your situation, but maybe someone else
> will have a better idea.
>
> (You may legally do a clean install and use it for up to 30 days
> without using your product key.)

I do have a product key though

I've had quite a few problems with Vista recently. Is it really ready
for prime time ?

-Arun
Arun

Re: 80070103 when installing Vista
I upgraded my driver from:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.85.html

and getting the same error.

I just had a frustrating call with NVidia tech support where they said
"I'm sure it's a Microsoft problem" and not ready to listen to me. And
btw, the help was to "reformat the XP and then try installing Vista".

-Arun

Arun wrote:
>>> Upgrade on top of existing XP.

>> Hm. Well, I looked at the link John posted, which talks about
>> installing device drivers. That doesn't make much sense unless
>> the error message is completely misleading. That's certainly a
>> possibility.

> Yeah, that's why I said the error is completely weird to me. I realized
> my XP had some pending updates so I updated it. I've NVidia driver #
> 4.8.2.0.
>
> BTW, manual update of driver instructions are broken.
>

>> Many people have posted here with strange install problems that
>> vanish when they tried a clean install instead of an upgrade.

> I tried booting with the media and got exactly the same error.
>

>> That is what I would do in your situation, but maybe someone else
>> will have a better idea.
>>
>> (You may legally do a clean install and use it for up to 30 days
>> without using your product key.)

> I do have a product key though
>
> I've had quite a few problems with Vista recently. Is it really ready
> for prime time ?
>
> -Arun

Don

Arun wrote:
>>> Upgrade on top of existing XP.

>> Hm. Well, I looked at the link John posted, which talks about
>> installing device drivers. That doesn't make much sense unless
>> the error message is completely misleading. That's certainly a
>> possibility.

> Yeah, that's why I said the error is completely weird to me. I realized
> my XP had some pending updates so I updated it. I've NVidia driver #
> 4.8.2.0.
>
> BTW, manual update of driver instructions are broken.
>

>> Many people have posted here with strange install problems that
>> vanish when they tried a clean install instead of an upgrade.

> I tried booting with the media and got exactly the same error.

I know little about NVidia hardware, but I expect that if you have
the correct Vista driver on a floppy or USB stick you would need to
feed it to the installer early on.

Have you seen this page?:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/vistaqualityassurance.html

>> (You may legally do a clean install and use it for up to 30 days
>> without using your product key.)

> I do have a product key though

The idea being to try to get through a clean install as a test, not
as a permanent solution. You can test that way without risking your
working XP setup and without invalidating your XP key.

> I've had quite a few problems with Vista recently. Is it really ready
> for prime time ?

Depends entirely on your hardware and what legacy software you want
to run. It works well for my very simple needs.

mikeyhsd

Re: 80070103 when installing Vista
have you done a scandisk and defrag before attempting the upgrade.
if not sure might help.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

Arun wrote:
>>> Upgrade on top of existing XP.

>> Hm. Well, I looked at the link John posted, which talks about
>> installing device drivers. That doesn't make much sense unless
>> the error message is completely misleading. That's certainly a
>> possibility.

> Yeah, that's why I said the error is completely weird to me. I realized
> my XP had some pending updates so I updated it. I've NVidia driver #
> 4.8.2.0.
>
> BTW, manual update of driver instructions are broken.
>

>> Many people have posted here with strange install problems that
>> vanish when they tried a clean install instead of an upgrade.

> I tried booting with the media and got exactly the same error.
>

>> That is what I would do in your situation, but maybe someone else
>> will have a better idea.
>>
>> (You may legally do a clean install and use it for up to 30 days
>> without using your product key.)

> I do have a product key though
>
> I've had quite a few problems with Vista recently. Is it really ready
> for prime time ?
>
> -Arun

Arun

Re: 80070103 when installing Vista
My machine had two partitions - one with Win XP + SP2 and other with
Linux. The Linux partition was somehow active and Vista was trying to
install on the active partition - this was happening whether I try to
booth from the DVD or install from within XP.

But everything worked after deleting both the partitions and recreating
them.

-Arun