Easyshare V6.2 not working with Vista Home Premium

=?Utf-8?B?QWxpcm8=?=

Easyshare V6.2 not working with Vista Home Premium
Since upgrading to Vista a month ago I have been unable to get Kodak
Easyshare software to work. I have un-installed and cleaned up and
re-installed many times - following all the directions given by Kodak support
but nothing changes - it still doesn't work. When I run it - it starts up
fine but only runs for about 30- 40 seconds before Vista says there has been
an application error. (Vista error/event log entry included below)
If anyone has any ideas about fixing this I would be glad to here them.
(From the event/error log >>>>
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 19/04/2007 06:15:03
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Faulting application EasyShare.exe, version 6.21.25.62, time stamp
0x45dac910, faulting module SHELL32.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time
stamp 0x4549bdb4, exception code 0xc00000fd, fault offset 0x0008999e,
process id 0x930, application start time 0x01c78241a38fbcd9.
=?Utf-8?B?QWxpcm8=?=

RE: Easyshare V6.2 not working with Vista Home Premium
Ok, so I managed to solve the problem myself - however for anyone interested
here is the answer:
I unistalled Easyshare through the Control Panel.
I ran the Kodak Clear utility (from:www.kodak.com/go/clear)
I deleted the Kodak directory from Program Files.
I did a search for "Easyshare" on the C drive - and deleted any directories
and files found (I think there was 1 directory somewhere in Program Data)
I then went into Regedit and took a backup(export) of the Kodak entry.
I then deleted the Kodak entry and re-booted.
I then took my old Easyshare v5.0 cd (which came with my camera a couple of
years ago) and installed Easyshare V5.0.
Previous attempts to install from the old cd had failed - but this time it
worked.
Having checked it was working ok, and added a few photos to the gallery I
then got the latest version of Easyshare (V6.2) (from
www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw)
and installed that. After installing and re-booting - I got the usual
"Windows has blocked some Statup programs" - so I feared it wasn't going to
work. (Why does it have to install itself with a "Run as Administartor" tag
??) - but this time it did work ok - and appears to be working happily.
The key bit in my solution - was deleting the Registry entries - I would
never normally do this - and I had hoped that the "Clear" utility from Kodak
would do this itself - but it doesn't. But having spent so much time
attempting to get this software working - I was quite prepared to try
anything. From many other problems installing (or re-installing) software on
Vista I already knew that having previous versions would cause endless
problems. (I had a similar thing with AVG, Nero and a few other things.)

"Aliro" wrote:

> Since upgrading to Vista a month ago I have been unable to get Kodak
> Easyshare software to work. I have un-installed and cleaned up and
> re-installed many times - following all the directions given by Kodak support
> but nothing changes - it still doesn't work. When I run it - it starts up
> fine but only runs for about 30- 40 seconds before Vista says there has been
> an application error. (Vista error/event log entry included below)
> If anyone has any ideas about fixing this I would be glad to here them.
> (From the event/error log >>>>
> Log Name: Application
> Source: Application Error
> Date: 19/04/2007 06:15:03
> Event ID: 1000
> Task Category: (100)
> Level: Error
> Faulting application EasyShare.exe, version 6.21.25.62, time stamp
> 0x45dac910, faulting module SHELL32.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time
> stamp 0x4549bdb4, exception code 0xc00000fd, fault offset 0x0008999e,
> process id 0x930, application start time 0x01c78241a38fbcd9.

Rock

Re: Easyshare V6.2 not working with Vista Home Premium
Thanks for posting your solution. What if you remove the "Run as
Administrator"? Will it still work? I would be asking several questions.
First why does it have to run as Administrator? There is no need for that.
Second, why does it have to run at startup?

"Aliro" <Aliro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?QWxpcm8=?=

Re: Easyshare V6.2 not working with Vista Home Premium
I can un-check the "Run as Admin" box in the Compatibity tab - but it still
appears to have the "Run as Administrator" property. Yes it runs - but I
don't know if that is as Admin or not. I haven't really got to grips yet with
all this Vista UAC stuff. I have never done anything in the way of setting up
User accounts - so I assume I have a default one which is Administrator. As
for why it needs to be in Starup - I don't think it does - but from what I
remember of older versions - it used to have a separate "Kodak Software
Updater" program which would check for new versions of the software - and
that was the only bit that went in Startup. It looks to me like the software
checker is now all bundled inside the Easyshare program. I have asked Kodak
support for any info or prospective future solutions regarding why it should
be "Run as Admin".
The key part in my solution - was the Regedit, deleting the old entries - as
I had tried everything else - without that bit many times without success.

"Rock" wrote:

> [...]
> >> but nothing changes - it still doesn't work. When I run it - it starts up
> >> fine but only runs for about 30- 40 seconds before Vista says there has
> >> been
> >> an application error. (Vista error/event log entry included below)
> >> If anyone has any ideas about fixing this I would be glad to here them.
> >> (From the event/error log >>>>
> >> Log Name: Application
> >> Source: Application Error
> >> Date: 19/04/2007 06:15:03
> >> Event ID: 1000
> >> Task Category: (100)
> >> Level: Error
> >> Faulting application EasyShare.exe, version 6.21.25.62, time stamp
> >> 0x45dac910, faulting module SHELL32.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time
> >> stamp 0x4549bdb4, exception code 0xc00000fd, fault offset 0x0008999e,
> >> process id 0x930, application start time 0x01c78241a38fbcd9.

Rock

> [...]

>> > going
>> > work. (Why does it have to install itself with a "Run as Administartor"
>> > tag
>> > ??) - but this time it did work ok - and appears to be working happily.
>> > The key bit in my solution - was deleting the Registry entries - I
>> > would
>> > never normally do this - and I had hoped that the "Clear" utility from
>> > Kodak
>> > would do this itself - but it doesn't. But having spent so much time
>> > attempting to get this software working - I was quite prepared to try
>> > anything. From many other problems installing (or re-installing)
>> > software
>> > on
>> > Vista I already knew that having previous versions would cause endless
>> > problems. (I had a similar thing with AVG, Nero and a few other

Yep, some software has this auto updater feature which they set up to run at
system startup. I remove all these. There is no point to it checking at
each boot, and it slows things down.. I do a manual check on occasion. I
recommend you go disable all these unnecessary programs from running at
startup. I would be especially leery of anything that was asking for admin
privileges to do something as simple as look for an update.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?QWxpcm8=?=

Re: Easyshare V6.2 not working with Vista Home Premium
Further info re: Removing "Run as Admin". Having un-checked the"Run as
Admin", the next time I re-booted there was no longer any "Blocked" programs
in Startup and the "Security shield" has disappeared from the Easyshare
shortcut icon, but it still works. So the Run-as-Admin wasn't needed -
probably put there by Kodak from a misunderstanding of when a program needs
Admin privilege.

"Rock" wrote:

> "Aliro" <Aliro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> >I can un-check the "Run as Admin" box in the Compatibity tab - but it still
> > appears to have the "Run as Administrator" property. Yes it runs - but I
> > don't know if that is as Admin or not. I haven't really got to grips yet
> > with
> > all this Vista UAC stuff. I have never done anything in the way of setting
> > up
> > User accounts - so I assume I have a default one which is Administrator.
> > As
> > for why it needs to be in Starup - I don't think it does - but from what I
> > remember of older versions - it used to have a separate "Kodak Software
> > Updater" program which would check for new versions of the software - and
> > that was the only bit that went in Startup. It looks to me like the
> > software
> > checker is now all bundled inside the Easyshare program. I have asked
> > Kodak
> > support for any info or prospective future solutions regarding why it
> > should
> > be "Run as Admin".
> > The key part in my solution - was the Regedit, deleting the old entries -
> > as
> > I had tried everything else - without that bit many times without success.

> > "Rock" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for posting your solution. What if you remove the "Run as
> >> Administrator"? Will it still work? I would be asking several
> >> questions.
> >> First why does it have to run as Administrator? There is no need for
> >> that.
> >> Second, why does it have to run at startup?
> >>
> >> "Aliro" <Aliro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Yep, some software has this auto updater feature which they set up to run at
> system startup. I remove all these. There is no point to it checking at
> each boot, and it slows things down.. I do a manual check on occasion. I
> recommend you go disable all these unnecessary programs from running at
> startup. I would be especially leery of anything that was asking for admin
> privileges to do something as simple as look for an update.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Easyshare V6.2 not working with Vista Home Premium
"Aliro" <Aliro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Further info re: Removing "Run as Admin". Having un-checked the"Run as
> Admin", the next time I re-booted there was no longer any "Blocked"
> programs
> in Startup and the "Security shield" has disappeared from the Easyshare
> shortcut icon, but it still works. So the Run-as-Admin wasn't needed -
> probably put there by Kodak from a misunderstanding of when a program
> needs
> Admin privilege.

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Aliro" <Aliro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> >I can un-check the "Run as Admin" box in the Compatibity tab - but it
>> >still
>> > appears to have the "Run as Administrator" property. Yes it runs - but
>> > don't know if that is as Admin or not. I haven't really got to grips
>> > yet
>> > with
>> > all this Vista UAC stuff. I have never done anything in the way of
>> > setting
>> > up
>> > User accounts - so I assume I have a default one which is
>> > Administrator.
>> > As
>> > for why it needs to be in Starup - I don't think it does - but from
>> > what I
>> > remember of older versions - it used to have a separate "Kodak Software
>> > Updater" program which would check for new versions of the software -
>> > and
>> > that was the only bit that went in Startup. It looks to me like the
>> > software
>> > checker is now all bundled inside the Easyshare program. I have asked
>> > Kodak
>> > support for any info or prospective future solutions regarding why it
>> > should
>> > be "Run as Admin".
>> > The key part in my solution - was the Regedit, deleting the old
>> > entries -
>> > as
>> > I had tried everything else - without that bit many times without
>> > success.

>> Yep, some software has this auto updater feature which they set up to run
>> at
>> system startup. I remove all these. There is no point to it checking at
>> each boot, and it slows things down.. I do a manual check on occasion.
>> recommend you go disable all these unnecessary programs from running at
>> startup. I would be especially leery of anything that was asking for
>> admin
>> privileges to do something as simple as look for an update.

Great, glad you got it fixed. Yep some programs will run fine without Admin
privileges, though the installer for it usually needs to be Run as
Administrator. Thanks for posting back the outcome. Have fun with Vista.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]