Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista + Raid = :(

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2007
bobdole
 

Posts: n/a
Vista + Raid = :(

Vista business x64
DFI Lanparty UT 250GB (supposedly 100% 64 compatible)
-Marvell sata raid
-Nforce3 sata raid
2 320GB sata hard drives
***Striped Dynamic Disk***
80GB blank partition for vista
500GB with some data I was using in XP

When it asks for you to select an install partition only 1 drive shows
up as 279GB(1 of the drives) and unformatted. Makes sense...I need to
load the raid drivers. I have tried all of the 32-bit XP raid drivers
on the DFI website and copied the raid drivers out of their 64-bit XP
install suite thing. When I try to load them into Vista it says no
drivers found(or something like that).

Am I using the wrong drivers? I see none that are explicity for Vista
Is it because they are formatted as dynamic disks?
Am I using the right drivers but loading them improperly?

I tried to search but couldn't find anything. I'm sure I'm not the
only one with raid on a lanparty UT...Please help


--
bobdole
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista + Raid = :(
I had to force an XP raid driver with my Asus board, it won't show them by
default. You have to manually select them.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bobdole" <bobdole.2pbv2d@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:bobdole.2pbv2d@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Vista business x64
> DFI Lanparty UT 250GB (supposedly 100% 64 compatible)
> -Marvell sata raid
> -Nforce3 sata raid
> 2 320GB sata hard drives
> ***Striped Dynamic Disk***
> 80GB blank partition for vista
> 500GB with some data I was using in XP
>
> When it asks for you to select an install partition only 1 drive shows
> up as 279GB(1 of the drives) and unformatted. Makes sense...I need to
> load the raid drivers. I have tried all of the 32-bit XP raid drivers
> on the DFI website and copied the raid drivers out of their 64-bit XP
> install suite thing. When I try to load them into Vista it says no
> drivers found(or something like that).
>
> Am I using the wrong drivers? I see none that are explicity for Vista
> Is it because they are formatted as dynamic disks?
> Am I using the right drivers but loading them improperly?
>
> I tried to search but couldn't find anything. I'm sure I'm not the
> only one with raid on a lanparty UT...Please help
>
>
> --
> bobdole


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2007
Kerry Brown
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista + Raid = :(
You mention dynamic disks. Were the disks set up with software RAID in XP?
Which RAID controller are the disks hooked up to?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca


"bobdole" <bobdole.2pbv2d@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:bobdole.2pbv2d@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Vista business x64
> DFI Lanparty UT 250GB (supposedly 100% 64 compatible)
> -Marvell sata raid
> -Nforce3 sata raid
> 2 320GB sata hard drives
> ***Striped Dynamic Disk***
> 80GB blank partition for vista
> 500GB with some data I was using in XP
>
> When it asks for you to select an install partition only 1 drive shows
> up as 279GB(1 of the drives) and unformatted. Makes sense...I need to
> load the raid drivers. I have tried all of the 32-bit XP raid drivers
> on the DFI website and copied the raid drivers out of their 64-bit XP
> install suite thing. When I try to load them into Vista it says no
> drivers found(or something like that).
>
> Am I using the wrong drivers? I see none that are explicity for Vista
> Is it because they are formatted as dynamic disks?
> Am I using the right drivers but loading them improperly?
>
> I tried to search but couldn't find anything. I'm sure I'm not the
> only one with raid on a lanparty UT...Please help
>
>
> --
> bobdole


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2007
Dan
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista + Raid = :(
You need Vista drivers, XP drivers will not work in the 64bit version of
Vista. That trick only works on the 32bit version.

Dan


"bobdole" <bobdole.2pbv2d@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:bobdole.2pbv2d@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> Vista business x64
> DFI Lanparty UT 250GB (supposedly 100% 64 compatible)
> -Marvell sata raid
> -Nforce3 sata raid
> 2 320GB sata hard drives
> ***Striped Dynamic Disk***
> 80GB blank partition for vista
> 500GB with some data I was using in XP
>
> When it asks for you to select an install partition only 1 drive shows
> up as 279GB(1 of the drives) and unformatted. Makes sense...I need to
> load the raid drivers. I have tried all of the 32-bit XP raid drivers
> on the DFI website and copied the raid drivers out of their 64-bit XP
> install suite thing. When I try to load them into Vista it says no
> drivers found(or something like that).
>
> Am I using the wrong drivers? I see none that are explicity for Vista
> Is it because they are formatted as dynamic disks?
> Am I using the right drivers but loading them improperly?
>
> I tried to search but couldn't find anything. I'm sure I'm not the
> only one with raid on a lanparty UT...Please help
>
>
> --
> bobdole



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-20-2007
hkancyr
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista + Raid = :(

It seems that there are several versions of the floppy drivers around. I
tried about 6 times to load my RAID floppy drivers and kept looking for
new drivers via google. eventually I found ones that worked. I have a
different mobo, but I'm sure that if you keep at it you will eventually
find one that works.


--
hkancyr
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista + Raid = :(
I'll beg to differ, as I was able to use an XP 64-bit raid driver to install
and run Vista x64.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dan" <dan@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:uM5qFb2gHHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> You need Vista drivers, XP drivers will not work in the 64bit version of
> Vista. That trick only works on the 32bit version.
>
> Dan
>
>
> "bobdole" <bobdole.2pbv2d@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> news:bobdole.2pbv2d@no-mx.forums.net...
>>
>> Vista business x64
>> DFI Lanparty UT 250GB (supposedly 100% 64 compatible)
>> -Marvell sata raid
>> -Nforce3 sata raid
>> 2 320GB sata hard drives
>> ***Striped Dynamic Disk***
>> 80GB blank partition for vista
>> 500GB with some data I was using in XP
>>
>> When it asks for you to select an install partition only 1 drive shows
>> up as 279GB(1 of the drives) and unformatted. Makes sense...I need to
>> load the raid drivers. I have tried all of the 32-bit XP raid drivers
>> on the DFI website and copied the raid drivers out of their 64-bit XP
>> install suite thing. When I try to load them into Vista it says no
>> drivers found(or something like that).
>>
>> Am I using the wrong drivers? I see none that are explicity for Vista
>> Is it because they are formatted as dynamic disks?
>> Am I using the right drivers but loading them improperly?
>>
>> I tried to search but couldn't find anything. I'm sure I'm not the
>> only one with raid on a lanparty UT...Please help
>>
>>
>> --
>> bobdole

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2007
bobdole
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista + Raid = :(

From what I have found Vista cannot be installed onto dynamic disks. I
have since reformatted them to basic.

> Were the disks set up with software RAID in XP?

No, it is hardware raid. I have tried it on both the onboard raid
controllers on my mobo. (apperantly they both run off the same driver
even though one is nvidia and the other marvell?).

Drivers I have tried...(some of these I had to force in and do the
unsigned driver thing)
DFI nforce 3 (my mobo specifically) XP 64 ver 5.10
Nvidia nforce 3 XP 64 newest
Nvidia nforce pro XP 64 newest
Nvidia nforce pro Vista 64 newest
Nvidia nforce 4 XP 64 newest
Nvidia nforce 4 Vista 64 newest(5.15 i believe)
The standard vista drivers modified to work with the nforce 4

I have also installed windows xp 64 a few times and tried to launch the
install from there. when I load Nvidia nforce 3 XP 64 newest Vista will
blue screen on restart. The others all load Vista and says unable to
find hard drive the system files are on (or something like that).

Are you guys saying you got nforce raid to work on Vista? Please point
me to the drivers you used so I can give them a look. I can't believe
Nvidia dropped support for a 3 year old platform. I have stuff that is
like 10 years old with official Vista drivers .


--
bobdole
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2007
Rick Rogers
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista + Raid = :(
Hi,

Mine were VIA and Promise controllers. Nvidia has been pretty sloppy with
driver support throughout the beta run and the release, I wouldn't be
surprised by a lack of drivers for your system.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bobdole" <bobdole.2pf823@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:bobdole.2pf823@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> From what I have found Vista cannot be installed onto dynamic disks. I
> have since reformatted them to basic.
>
>> Were the disks set up with software RAID in XP?

> No, it is hardware raid. I have tried it on both the onboard raid
> controllers on my mobo. (apperantly they both run off the same driver
> even though one is nvidia and the other marvell?).
>
> Drivers I have tried...(some of these I had to force in and do the
> unsigned driver thing)
> DFI nforce 3 (my mobo specifically) XP 64 ver 5.10
> Nvidia nforce 3 XP 64 newest
> Nvidia nforce pro XP 64 newest
> Nvidia nforce pro Vista 64 newest
> Nvidia nforce 4 XP 64 newest
> Nvidia nforce 4 Vista 64 newest(5.15 i believe)
> The standard vista drivers modified to work with the nforce 4
>
> I have also installed windows xp 64 a few times and tried to launch the
> install from there. when I load Nvidia nforce 3 XP 64 newest Vista will
> blue screen on restart. The others all load Vista and says unable to
> find hard drive the system files are on (or something like that).
>
> Are you guys saying you got nforce raid to work on Vista? Please point
> me to the drivers you used so I can give them a look. I can't believe
> Nvidia dropped support for a 3 year old platform. I have stuff that is
> like 10 years old with official Vista drivers .
>
>
> --
> bobdole


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2007
Joe Guidera
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista + Raid = :(
Now that's odd (though as others have posted Nvidia has been a little lax on
drivers), but if it's being implemented in HW, Vista shouldn't even have to
see it (in other words, the hardware handles it and vista just should be
seeing a fixed disk).

Joe

"bobdole" <bobdole.2pf823@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:bobdole.2pf823@no-mx.forums.net...
>
> From what I have found Vista cannot be installed onto dynamic disks. I
> have since reformatted them to basic.
>
>> Were the disks set up with software RAID in XP?

> No, it is hardware raid. I have tried it on both the onboard raid
> controllers on my mobo. (apperantly they both run off the same driver
> even though one is nvidia and the other marvell?).
>
> Drivers I have tried...(some of these I had to force in and do the
> unsigned driver thing)
> DFI nforce 3 (my mobo specifically) XP 64 ver 5.10
> Nvidia nforce 3 XP 64 newest
> Nvidia nforce pro XP 64 newest
> Nvidia nforce pro Vista 64 newest
> Nvidia nforce 4 XP 64 newest
> Nvidia nforce 4 Vista 64 newest(5.15 i believe)
> The standard vista drivers modified to work with the nforce 4
>
> I have also installed windows xp 64 a few times and tried to launch the
> install from there. when I load Nvidia nforce 3 XP 64 newest Vista will
> blue screen on restart. The others all load Vista and says unable to
> find hard drive the system files are on (or something like that).
>
> Are you guys saying you got nforce raid to work on Vista? Please point
> me to the drivers you used so I can give them a look. I can't believe
> Nvidia dropped support for a 3 year old platform. I have stuff that is
> like 10 years old with official Vista drivers .
>
>
> --
> bobdole


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2007
bobdole
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista + Raid = :(

> but if it's being implemented in HW, Vista shouldn't even have to
> see it (in other words, the hardware handles it and vista just should
> be
> seeing a fixed disk).
>

I'm pretty sure that this is never the case. The OS must know how to
interface with the controller in order to see the disks. Its even true
with non-raid systems but the IDE controllers are all just IEEE
complient so you never have to mess with the drivers.

For any one interested, after days of messing around I have found that
the x86 windows xp drivers work on vista x86.

There are no vista x64 drivers compatible with the Nvidia 250GB chipset
raid device. Nvidia does not plan to release them

Guess I'm gonna have to go with x86 Vista for now. I don't know about
you guys but I'll take compatibility and support over performance any
day. I'll definatly be looking elsewhere for future products.


--
bobdole
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nvidia RAID 10 broken into two RAID 10 drive sets =?Utf-8?B?dG9tc2NobGVpcw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 04-11-2007 15:46
Vista and Raid Charles Harris microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-01-2007 03:41
RAID in Vista? Lewy microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 10 02-28-2007 23:11
RAID and Vista =?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHRT?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 6 02-26-2007 21:37
RE: Vista x64 dual boot WinXP with RAID-5 ICH8R messes up RAID array =?Utf-8?B?LS1yb3ktLQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 02-19-2007 07:25




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:08.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120