booting inactive vista

mohsen

booting inactive vista
Hello

I turned DEP off by reading at vistax64 forum.
when i rebooted, a big problem raised.
windows vista ( home premium ) crashed to continue.
i selected safe mode and other F8 choices...but still problem is there.

then I used Vista DVD to repair startup...problem not solved.
I used system restore...but not worked.

DELL company gived a choice to me...it sets all required windows vista
files and folders on my another drive ( d:\ ) ...how can i boot it ?
in d:\ there is no any boot folder.

if i do it, so i can keep avoid my files and downloaded programs ( .exe )
from failed windows ( c:\ ) .

I think my solution is something around bootrec command...anyway...I need
help.

thank you

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4075 (20090514) __________

http://www.eset.com

Rick Rogers

Re: booting inactive vista
Hi,

The boot folder only needs to be on the active partition, it doesn't matter
where you place the system folders. What Dell was likely doing was having
you move the system folders to D: so that their recovery software would
reinstall to C: and then you could later recover data from the original
installation on D:.

Using the bootrec tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Next time leave DEP alone.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mohsen" <anoosheravan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I turned DEP off by reading at vistax64 forum.
> when i rebooted, a big problem raised.
> windows vista ( home premium ) crashed to continue.
> i selected safe mode and other F8 choices...but still problem is there.
>
> then I used Vista DVD to repair startup...problem not solved.
> I used system restore...but not worked.
>

> DELL company gived a choice to me...it sets all required windows vista
> files and folders on my another drive ( d:\ ) ...how can i boot it ?
> in d:\ there is no any boot folder.
>
> if i do it, so i can keep avoid my files and downloaded programs ( .exe )
> from failed windows ( c:\ ) .
>

> I think my solution is something around bootrec command...anyway...I need
> help.
>

> thank you

> signature database 4075 (20090514) __________

> http://www.eset.com

R. C. White

Re: booting inactive vista
Hi, Rick.

Don't forget that the "system volume" and "boot volume" terminology is
backwards from the way most of us understand them. In Windows jargon, the
"boot folder" is \Windows, and it is on the "boot volume" - which can be
almost any partition or logical drive. As Ed Bott (and others) have said,
we boot from the system partition and keep the operating system files in the
boot folder. :^{

See KB314470:
Definitions for system volume and boot volume

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX