Vista bootable dvd

nonymouse

Vista bootable dvd
How is this done exactly? I have been given a copy (legally) of Vista
on a DVD-R to install on my home machine by my employer. However, I
want to create a bootable version of this disc.

I can do this with XP using the microsoft.img boot image file but
creating a bootable DVD in nero simply states 'install.wim is larger
than 2Gb' which it goes on to explain cannot be stored in a UDF file
system. I'm guessing the boot image file for Vista is called boot.wim
- but still can't get around the 2Gb problem.

What am I missing? Help much appreciated

Chad Harris

Re: Vista bootable dvd
Hey nonymouse--

An XP CD is bootable and a Vista DVD is bootable. MSFT created it for you.
Vista's DVD will install Vista when you insert it, and I don't think you
need to involve Nero--or I'm not sure why you want to. I don't know what
version of Nero you're using, but I have tested Nero 6.0 without any update
whatsoever and it worked fine on Vista. Vista RTM wouldn't accept any Nero
6 updates on my boxes. I also am using Nero 7.8.50 now on Vista and
noticed few differences from my 6.0 as to burning features except for a
couple extra features like "power burn, etc."

CH

"nonymouse" <bearintheair@fastmail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1177016263.487283.224720@p77g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
> How is this done exactly? I have been given a copy (legally) of Vista
> on a DVD-R to install on my home machine by my employer. However, I
> want to create a bootable version of this disc.
>
> I can do this with XP using the microsoft.img boot image file but
> creating a bootable DVD in nero simply states 'install.wim is larger
> than 2Gb' which it goes on to explain cannot be stored in a UDF file
> system. I'm guessing the boot image file for Vista is called boot.wim
> - but still can't get around the 2Gb problem.
>
> What am I missing? Help much appreciated

Rock

Re: Vista bootable dvd
"nonymouse" <bearintheair@fastmail.co.uk> wrote
> How is this done exactly? I have been given a copy (legally) of Vista
> on a DVD-R to install on my home machine by my employer. However, I
> want to create a bootable version of this disc.
>
> I can do this with XP using the microsoft.img boot image file but
> creating a bootable DVD in nero simply states 'install.wim is larger
> than 2Gb' which it goes on to explain cannot be stored in a UDF file
> system. I'm guessing the boot image file for Vista is called boot.wim
> - but still can't get around the 2Gb problem.
>
> What am I missing? Help much appreciated

Is this a Volume license version? Those are not bootable but there is a way
I believe to get a bootable copy but you'd have to go through your work for
that.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Chad Harris

Re: Vista bootable dvd
Rock--

"Thanks for jogging my memory. I'll try to avoid saying I don't recall 74
times as the splendid US Attorney General did today with John Stewart
skewering him beautifully and as well as anyone on Senate Judy.

I remember Darrell Gorter's posts clarifying volume licensing and he makes
the ordering of full bootable media clear, (I think) so I'll paste Darrell's
posts here:

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Hello Chad,

That page is not talking about the media availability specifically.That is
talking about the license.

The license for volume programs is for upgrade ( which means that you need
to have a qualifying OS which would meet the compliance for upgrade
scenarios(compliance checks). this should be in the license agreement,
what Windows versions would meet the requirement.).

You are not required to do an upgrade, You are not required to have the
previous version of Windows installed. You are required to have a license
for the previous versions of Windows.

Some of the people posting in the newsgroups since November have posted the
names to the downloads that were available from their VL programs.
In each case they listed both the upgrade and full version names as
available for download. ( x64 volume is only available as a non-upgrade
option).

So I had to ask around and got to borrow an upgrade volume license DVD,so
as to confirm it is not bootable. This is only Volume upgrade media, all
other Windows upgrade media should be bootable.

However I also confirmed that the all the volume license programs have full
prodcut media available as an option as well. Either for download or you
can order a DVD. The default DVD shipped out is the Upgrade Volume Media."

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
_____________

Also from Darrell on the same day:

"This thread is for Windows VIsta VOLUME media questions only. Volume
Upgrade media is not bootable, other Windows Vista upgrade media is
bootable.

Even if the media is not upgrade media for Volume the licensing is for
upgrade media not for full media. It doesn't have to be installed, in this
case, thus the ability to use upgrade volume media."

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
____________________

CH

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "nonymouse" <bearintheair@fastmail.co.uk> wrote
>> How is this done exactly? I have been given a copy (legally) of Vista
>> on a DVD-R to install on my home machine by my employer. However, I
>> want to create a bootable version of this disc.
>>
>> I can do this with XP using the microsoft.img boot image file but
>> creating a bootable DVD in nero simply states 'install.wim is larger
>> than 2Gb' which it goes on to explain cannot be stored in a UDF file
>> system. I'm guessing the boot image file for Vista is called boot.wim
>> - but still can't get around the 2Gb problem.
>>
>> What am I missing? Help much appreciated

> Is this a Volume license version? Those are not bootable but there is a
> way I believe to get a bootable copy but you'd have to go through your
> work for that.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

nonymouse

Re: Vista bootable dvd
Thanks for the info folkes - this version I believe is the volume
licence version - it has every and any version of Vista on it. I've
been told by the techies that it's not an upgrade option (who
incidentally don't know how to solve my problem either!).

Upon install you get to choose which version you want, the licence
code apparently works with them all. From within XP installation is
not a problem, but I'm thinking more of installing on a blank NTFS
hard drive. The Vista disc just won't boot when selected in the BIOS
as first boot device. Yet the XP one does. Even if it were an upgrade
version, surely it should still be bootable - to reqiure a version of
Windows to be present on the system first before overwriting with
another is insane.

Previous upgrades I've installed (such as Win2k) have simply asked for
the qualifying disc during the install (in this case WinNT or 95) -
there must be a solution somewhere.

Chad Harris

Re: Vista bootable dvd
Nonymouse--

I don't want to confuse you because there are many many people who have used
volume licensing on this group for years and years, and I'm not one. I've
talked with people from volume licensing, but that's not the same thing as
using the program, and having Darrell Gorter and others who have looked into
the media is a luxury for this group to clarify how it works.

The "every version of Vista" on the DVD is standard with Vista, and not an
indicator of Volume licensing media AFIK. MSFT is trying to make the
upgrade option readily available if someone's needs change or they decide to
upgrade to another edition because they want/need the features it offers.

You have not said whether you have 64 bit media and a 64 bit box either,
because Darrell made a distinction there.

Officially, Vista upgrades *had been defined by MSFT* to require a legacy
version to be installed and activated before upgrading.

Take a look at this article (as to your comment on the requirement for a
legacy version to be present--it was for it to be present and activated):

Workaround Discovered For "Clean Install" With Vista Upgrade DVDs

I wish I knew exactly what you have, and there is one sure-fire way to find
out. If you had volume licensing media I think you would know it had been
ordered via the volume licensing program. I'm not sure of the source of
that DVD--but if there is any question all you have to do is call MSFT and
read them the part number of that DVD or call volume licensing and read the
part of that DVD and they will clear up what you have.

To call Volume Licensing:

Call (800) 426-9400 in the United States or (877) 568-2495 in Canada. You
could use the same number, I believe to be routed to someone who can tell
you exactly what media the part number to the right of the hole in the
center of the DVD.

I don't know if any of this helps you, but I think we would all be better
off in figuring out why your DVD will not boot if we knew exactly with no
guessing by anyone who means well what you have.

Good luck,

news:1177053831.130748.45330@n76g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
> Thanks for the info folkes - this version I believe is the volume
> licence version - it has every and any version of Vista on it. I've
> been told by the techies that it's not an upgrade option (who
> incidentally don't know how to solve my problem either!).
>
> Upon install you get to choose which version you want, the licence
> code apparently works with them all. From within XP installation is
> not a problem, but I'm thinking more of installing on a blank NTFS
> hard drive. The Vista disc just won't boot when selected in the BIOS
> as first boot device. Yet the XP one does. Even if it were an upgrade
> version, surely it should still be bootable - to reqiure a version of
> Windows to be present on the system first before overwriting with
> another is insane.
>
> Previous upgrades I've installed (such as Win2k) have simply asked for
> the qualifying disc during the install (in this case WinNT or 95) -
> there must be a solution somewhere.

nonymouse

Re: Vista bootable dvd
Many thanks for your help and suggestions. I think the problem may be
that a copy was burned for me to take home from the original .iso
image. This copy includes the install.wim file which I understand
contains Vista in its entirety. The solution may simply be to unpack
this file onto a fresh bootable DVD and problem solved. I'll pursue
this a little further and if no luck will try calling Microsoft -
thanks again