Partitions not Vista compatible?

don't look

Partitions not Vista compatible?
I was thinking of a dual boot setup with Widows 2000 pro and Vista Home
Premium. I have 2 sata drives.The 1st one(WD 160GB SATA 2) has W2k pro on
C:\ and Space for other stuff on E:\., D:\ is my DVDRW. 2nd drive is a 250GB
Maxtor SATA 1 with one large partition for Vista.
Everything is formatted with partition magic. I have it this way because
already had W2k pro installed and got Vista as a surprise gift.

BTW my partition looks like this:Problems?
===============================
Partition Information for Disk 1: 152,624.9 Megabytes
Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect
TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
===============================
C: NTFS Pri,Boot 26,858.6 0 0 63
55,006,497 55,006,497 0
ExtendedX Pri 125,751.4 0 1 55,006,560
257,538,960 257,538,960 0
EPBR Log 125,751.4 None -- 55,006,560
257,538,960 257,538,960 0
E: NTFS Log 125,751.4 55,006,560 0 55,006,623
257,538,897 257,538,897 0
Free Space Pri 14.8 None -- 312,545,520
30,240 0 30,240

===============================
Partition Information for Disk 2: 239,366.9 Megabytes
Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect
TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
===============================
F: NTFS Pri 239,366.9 0 0 63
490,223,412 490,223,412 0

Rick Rogers

Re: Partitions not Vista compatible?
Hi,

Partition Magic, to my knowledge, is not currently compatible with Vista. I
believe it is Symantec's newer product, Norton 360, that is. Vista uses a
slightly newer version of NTFS than does Win2K and XP, and the installation
volume should be created and formatted by it during setup, not a third party
tool. Once installed, it should have no trouble reading the Win2K and data
partitions, but for its own system volume it needs to be created and
formatted by setup.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"don't look" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I was thinking of a dual boot setup with Widows 2000 pro and Vista Home
> Premium. I have 2 sata drives.The 1st one(WD 160GB SATA 2) has W2k pro on
> C:\ and Space for other stuff on E:\., D:\ is my DVDRW. 2nd drive is a
> 250GB
> Maxtor SATA 1 with one large partition for Vista.
> Everything is formatted with partition magic. I have it this way because
> already had W2k pro installed and got Vista as a surprise gift.
>
> BTW my partition looks like this:Problems?
> ================================================== ==========================
> ===============================
> Partition Information for Disk 1: 152,624.9 Megabytes
> Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect
> TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
> ================================================== ==========================
> ===============================
> C: NTFS Pri,Boot 26,858.6 0 0 63
> 55,006,497 55,006,497 0
> ExtendedX Pri 125,751.4 0 1 55,006,560
> 257,538,960 257,538,960 0
> EPBR Log 125,751.4 None -- 55,006,560
> 257,538,960 257,538,960 0
> E: NTFS Log 125,751.4 55,006,560 0 55,006,623
> 257,538,897 257,538,897 0
> Free Space Pri 14.8 None -- 312,545,520
> 30,240 0 30,240
>

> ================================================== ==========================
> ===============================
> Partition Information for Disk 2: 239,366.9 Megabytes
> Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect
> TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
> ================================================== ==========================
> ===============================
> F: NTFS Pri 239,366.9 0 0 63
> 490,223,412 490,223,412 0

Hugh Wyn Griffith

In article <e#wQ4rmgHHA.4704@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Rick Rogers wrote:

> Partition Magic, to my knowledge, is not currently compatible with Vista. I*
> believe it is Symantec's newer product, Norton 360, that is.

I've no longer got Norton 360 installed -- I was using the public Beta -- but
I don't recollect that it has any kind of partitioning in it.

I've used Partition Magic 8 to create a partition for VISTA from XP and before
installing VISTA and have had no problems; but I've not tried it to modify a
partition with VISTA in it -- I agree with you that that may not be wise.

=?Utf-8?B?bWhvbnplbGw=?=

RE: Partitions not Vista compatible?
Vista sets up a drive a little different:

Doesn't like Extended Partitions.
Pre-Vista, this creates an 8 MB unallocated space before the partition
that Vista will misinterpret during install when multiple drives are involved.
That Extended Partition you have on C: Drive can mess up the install
process. It will look correct, but Vista may not be able to boot without the
installation DVD once your done.

A work around is to unplug the C: drive during your Vista install. (After
two installs, I unplugged all but the install drive.)

Vista can create up to three Primary partitions on a single drive before it
creates Extended Partitions and then it only uses a 2 MB unallocated space.

Vista Disk Management can be used to change the drive letter once you are
all done.

You're best bet is to format and create a partition out of the drive of your
choice with the Startup Disk functions, perform the install to that drive and
then, within Vista, use Disk Management to create other partitions on the
same drive.

Don't create partitions with Vista on XP drives. (XP will go south.)
XP doesn't like Vista partitioning. It may not correctly see 2nd and 3rd
Primary partitions on the Vista disk.

"don't look" wrote:

> I was thinking of a dual boot setup with Widows 2000 pro and Vista Home
> Premium. I have 2 sata drives.The 1st one(WD 160GB SATA 2) has W2k pro on
> C:\ and Space for other stuff on E:\., D:\ is my DVDRW. 2nd drive is a 250GB
> Maxtor SATA 1 with one large partition for Vista.
> Everything is formatted with partition magic. I have it this way because
> already had W2k pro installed and got Vista as a surprise gift.
>
> BTW my partition looks like this:Problems?
> ================================================== ==========================
> ===============================
> Partition Information for Disk 1: 152,624.9 Megabytes
> Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect
> TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
> ================================================== ==========================
> ===============================
> C: NTFS Pri,Boot 26,858.6 0 0 63
> 55,006,497 55,006,497 0
> ExtendedX Pri 125,751.4 0 1 55,006,560
> 257,538,960 257,538,960 0
> EPBR Log 125,751.4 None -- 55,006,560
> 257,538,960 257,538,960 0
> E: NTFS Log 125,751.4 55,006,560 0 55,006,623
> 257,538,897 257,538,897 0
> Free Space Pri 14.8 None -- 312,545,520
> 30,240 0 30,240
>

> ================================================== ==========================
> ===============================
> Partition Information for Disk 2: 239,366.9 Megabytes
> Volume PartType Status Size MB PartSect # StartSect
> TotalSects UsedSects FreeSects
> ================================================== ==========================
> ===============================
> F: NTFS Pri 239,366.9 0 0 63
> 490,223,412 490,223,412 0

...winston

Re: Partitions not Vista compatible?
It does not.

You might find that if you have a dual boot system with XP and PM8 still installed, PM may not be able to see the Vista drive(post Vista install) when running PM8 in XP. Two scenarios can occur...it won't show it, or an error will popup claiming the length or offset of the partition sector is incorrect. **Do Not** ever and forever say yes to this message. In both cases once PM is loaded, the Vista drive may show up as bad. Ignore it...and do all partition management from within Vista on that drive using Vista or a compatible 3rd party tool(Acronis 10).

..winston

"Hugh Wyn Griffith" <huwyngr@unspam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:VA.000002d2.00351b08@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .
: In article <e#wQ4rmgHHA.4704@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Rick Rogers wrote:
:: I've no longer got Norton 360 installed --<snip>
: I don't recollect that it has any kind of partitioning in it.
:
: I've used Partition Magic 8 to create a partition for VISTA from XP and before
: installing VISTA and have had no problems; but I've not tried it to modify a
: partition with VISTA in it -- I agree with you that that may not be wise.
:
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Partitions not Vista compatible?
Thanks -- I thought not but couldn't get out on the internet to check
the Norton site.

I have looked at the VISTA drive from XP using PM8 and it did not flag
anything or ask to correct anything. But I was aware of this pitfall.

I'm in VISTA at the moment so I can't recheck.

...winston

Re: Partitions not Vista compatible?
It also may depend on whether or not if Vista was installed to it as
unallocated space with an extended partition already created on the drive by
PM8 or XP which would allow Vista to create the partition with its different
approach, thus creating and unexpected condition that PM8 under Vista
believes incorrect. The rule..as with any dual boot Vista scenario,
remember where one is, and what can and should be used for each respective
o/s.

news:VA.000002d3.004870cc@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .