Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

BillS22

Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

Help me think this through.
If I decide to upgrade to Win 7 and do a clean install, could I use
Easy File Transfer to retain my Outlook, Web Settings and Files?

I have two internal hard drives, not raid, and an external eSATA drive.
All 3 are the same size, 500GB. So I think I have the resources, I just
don't want to lose data, favorites, contacts, files or emails.

Having never used Easy File Transfer, how should I proceed?
Store my easy transfere to my second HD "D", format C, install Win 7?

I guess I need to buy a version of Win 7 that will read my Vista Easy
File backup...duh... Is Win 7 Pro able to read Vista Easy File
Transfers?

I have two accounts on this computer, mine and my wife's, so there
another issue too.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Bill

--
BillS22
SIW2

Re: Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

Hi,

It seems you can :

The -new version- of Windows Easy Transfer for Windows 7 comes with
improvements... For the new version of Windows Easy Transfer, people
can move their files *from *PCs running Windows XP and Windows Vista.

It looks as though you need 7 installed first - then transfer* from
*the Vista installation .

'A Look at Improvements to Windows Easy Transfer for Windows 7 -
Windows Experience Blog - The Windows Blog'
(http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...windows-7.aspx)

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Curious

Re: Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade
I used Easy Transfer when I installed Win7 RC1 and it worked for all of my
files. It does not however transfer any registry settings so all
applications have to be reinstalled.

"BillS22" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Help me think this through.
> If I decide to upgrade to Win 7 and do a clean install, could I use
> Easy File Transfer to retain my Outlook, Web Settings and Files?
>
> I have two internal hard drives, not raid, and an external eSATA drive.
> All 3 are the same size, 500GB. So I think I have the resources, I just
> don't want to lose data, favorites, contacts, files or emails.
>
> Having never used Easy File Transfer, how should I proceed?
> Store my easy transfere to my second HD "D", format C, install Win 7?
>
> I guess I need to buy a version of Win 7 that will read my Vista Easy
> File backup...duh... Is Win 7 Pro able to read Vista Easy File
> Transfers?
>
> I have two accounts on this computer, mine and my wife's, so there
> another issue too.
>
> Suggestions welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
>

> --
> BillS22

Tom Lake

"Curious" <spammenot@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I used Easy Transfer when I installed Win7 RC1 and it worked for all of my
> files. It does not however transfer any registry settings so all
> applications have to be reinstalled.

I have all my key files on another drive, D:\User\Tom and I changed the
location
of their icons (Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links,
Music,
Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos) to point to the new drive's
User\Tom
(and D:\User\Paula for my wife's icons). Then I save the Registry location
for my message
rules (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Rules).
I've clean installed Windows 7 this way. After the install, I just change
the
locations of my personal icons back to the new drive, reinstall my apps
(which I'd
have to do with WET anyway), run the message rules .reg file and I'm good to
go.
This way, I don't have to mess with WET. All my settings are backed up in
real-time.

Tom Lake

BillS22

Re: Vista Easy File Transfer and Windows 7 Upgrade

Thanks all.....

"It looks as though you need 7 installed first - then transfer* from
*the Vista installation"

Question - To install Win 7 first: do I do a Win 7 upgrade install, run
Win 7 EFT to my external drive, then clean install Win 7, access my
external HD and restore?
Or just do a Vista EFT on both accounts, then clean install???

Can't see it any other way. If I install Win 7 on another partition, I
can't see it transferring files from my Vista partition.....

Tom's suggestion may be more complete, a little more difficult, alot
like what I did when I did a motherboard upgrade, except is was XP to
XP. I worked, but I had the help of a computer analysis.

--
BillS22