Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

Ladiesman541

Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

Hey there.

I was just wondering if it's possible to format or atleast re-install
Windows Vista on my Laptop without the CD and Serial Number? (unless
that's the serial number under my computer, hehe.)

I really want to do this, but I have no clue how-to and what's needed
and such.

I was hoping for some answers from you guys, so any reply is welcome
(oh, and if you need any information about my computer that might help
you answer my question, feel free to ask)

--
Ladiesman541
Brink

Re: Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

Hello Ladiesman,

Your laptop should have a recovery partition or set of recovery discs
to do format your hard drive and do a factory restore of Vista with.

What brand is your laptop? I'll see if I can find the instructions for
you on how to do a factory restore with it.

Shawn

Ladiesman541;1075978 Wrote:
> Hey there.
>
> I was just wondering if it's possible to format or atleast re-install
> Windows Vista on my Laptop without the CD and Serial Number? (unless
> that's the serial number under my computer, hehe.)
>
> I really want to do this, but I have no clue how-to and what's needed
> and such.
>
> I was hoping for some answers from you guys, so any reply is welcome
> (oh, and if you need any information about my computer that might help
> you answer my question, feel free to ask)

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Ladiesman541

Re: Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

Brand? like in what type of laptop it is?

It's a Toshiba (it also says "Satellite" on it, but might not have any
importance)
it also says "Toshiba Satellite L300D - 11A System Unit under it.

I also went to my control panel and into my System now, and I found my
Windows Product ID. it would be wise of me to write this down for later,
right?

--
Ladiesman541
Mike Hall - MVP

"Ladiesman541" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Brand? like in what type of laptop it is?
>
> It's a Toshiba (it also says "Satellite" on it, but might not have any
> importance)
> it also says "Toshiba Satellite L300D - 11A System Unit under it.
>
> I also went to my control panel and into my System now, and I found my
> Windows Product ID. it would be wise of me to write this down for later,
> right?
>

> --
> Ladiesman541

According to the Toshiba manual, you press and hold the 0 key (zero) while
powering up the machine.

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Brink

Re: Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

Look under the "Using Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility from the recovery
partition" at the link below, and it will help show you how to restore
the "original factory image".

'How to use the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility'
(http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD7C02140000R01.htm)

I would recommend that you backup anything that you do not want to lose
first though. This will format your hard drive and wipe everything out.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Ladiesman541

Re: Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

thanks so much! I really appreciate it

one more question, though, what would you suggest I take back-up on?
I mean like, will ALL my programs be deleted, including internet
explorer, Mozilla Firefox, to the smallest programs like calculator and
paint?

And I have some CD-R80 cds with 700MB on each. do they work to put
back-up files on?

--
Ladiesman541
Brink

Re: Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

A factory restore will make your laptop like it was the first day that
you turned it on. Anything that you installed since that day will not be
there. Programs can just be reinstalled, you would want to backup your
personal files like your music, documents, etc.... to copy them back
afterwards.

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Ladiesman541

Re: Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

thanks so much! I will attempt to do this now, hopefully I won't fail.
^^

--
Ladiesman541
Brink

Re: Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

You're welcome. Please let us know how it went for you.

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...5-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*::Windows 7 Forums::*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) *and*
'*::Vista Forums::*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Ladiesman541

Re: Re-installing and Formatting Windows Vista

I tried to do as the guide said, but it didn't work.

I shut down my computer, held the 0 button while starting up my
computer, but I never got that meny I was supposed to.

I tried several times, but without any luck.

I tried pressing F2 and F12 when starting up to see if it was in there,
but nothing interesting there either.

I really appreciate the help you're giving me and I hope you can help
me further too.

--
Ladiesman541